Revision from RNY to sleeve and eventually DS

KatKat
on 4/27/18 5:42 pm

I had my gastric bypass surgery March 2007. Stopped losing after 6 months and never got anywhere near my goal weight SW 271. Lowest weight 202. Fast forward 11 years and I've gained ALL of the weight back, and more. Current weight is 282.

I went to my original surgeon in January to have my gallbladder removed and she suggested a revision. I was surprised because I didn't think it was even a possibility. I am now looking at a revision from RNY to gastric sleeve. Surgeon was not sure how much weight I can lose this way. The ultimate goal is to get a DS, although I am hoping the sleeve results will be good enough and I won't need a 2nd surgery. I'm having a tough time finding info on this as my case seems to be unique. Surgeon does DS in 2 separate surgeries. First sleeve, then a few months later the DS. My sleeve is a revision, though. My surgeon says she's the only surgeon in the New England region that does this.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there in my situation. Or, ones who have the sleeve and then gone to DS in a 2nd surgery.

Any advice?

dcopehp
on 4/27/18 12:01 pm - New York, NY

Hey there,

im in the process of getting my rny converted to the DS. There aren't a ton of surgeons qualified to do this surgeon.

ive learned a lot from the DS and Revision boards at bariatricfacts.org. There's a list of vetted surgeons.

who are you speaking with?

there are a few important facts to gain clarity on before moving forward.

1. Does your surgeon do the full DS or the SIPS, SADI or LoopDS? I personally would only do the full DS.
  2. will your insurance pay for 2 separate surgeries months apart? And, will they pay for the SIPS, SADI or Loop DS? My empire bcbs will not pay for either 2 surgeries or these procedures.

There's no one in NYC that will do a revision DS in one surgery. I'm using Dr. Antanavicius in PA.

let me know if you have any questions.

best of luck!

KatKat
on 4/27/18 7:50 pm

Hey, thanks for your reply!

My surgeon is Dr Sheila Partridge at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in MA. I looked at the bariatric facts page but haven't found the list of doctors yet. I have absolute trust in her, and her practice is a Center for Excellence.

She only does the DS SIPS. Like I said, I'm hoping the revision to sleeve will do the trick, but I like the idea of having another option somewhere down the road. She only does DS in 2 separate surgeries, sleeve, then DS. Since my sleeve is a revision it will be more involved and a longer surgery.

insurance covers on a case by case basis, so I am concerned that if I want the DS my BMI might be too low for them to approve but it's a chance I'm willing to take.

Thanks for telling me about the other site. Knowledge is power!

Kathleen

dcopehp
on 4/27/18 9:43 pm - New York, NY

Here's the link to the revision surgeons:

http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/current-list-of-known-rny- or-lapband-to-ds-surgeons.1403/

Do you understand and feel comfortable with the loop-DS? There's 20+ years of great research into the full DS and long term results.

There's less than 5 years of research on the loop DS and it doesn't go much beyond results for the first 18 months.

i did really well for the first 5-6 years with my rny so I want to make sure any surgery I have will give me the long term results I need.

The best advice I can give is to research the difference and talk to a surgeon who does the full DS so you get a fuller picture.

good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics