Lap Band to ????

bonvivant57
on 5/1/18 12:53 pm

Greetings All

I seek your advice and experience in trying to decide between the three options-VSG versus RNY versus DS.

Lap Band placed in 2004 and have lost and gained the same 30lbs. I have decided I need to do something about my 48.8 BMI and comorbidities before its too late. Male, 60 y.o.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bonvivant57

hollykim
on 5/1/18 4:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 1, 2018 at 7:53 PM Pacific Time, bonvivant57 wrote:

Greetings All

I seek your advice and experience in trying to decide between the three options-VSG versus RNY versus DS.

Lap Band placed in 2004 and have lost and gained the same 30lbs. I have decided I need to do something about my 48.8 BMI and comorbidities before its too late. Male, 60 y.o.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bonvivant57

the big question is do you have GERD? If yes, definitely the rny as vsg can make GETD much worse.

bonvivant57
on 5/1/18 4:24 pm

Thankfully no GERD. Thoughts?

My feeling is that I have one more shot at this and really want to make it work.

Thank you.

hollykim
on 5/1/18 7:12 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 1, 2018 at 11:24 PM Pacific Time, bonvivant57 wrote:

Thankfully no GERD. Thoughts?

My feeling is that I have one more shot at this and really want to make it work.

Thank you.

vsg is a restriction only procedure, like the band. Rny is restriction plus malabsorption.

Were you successful with your band in losing and keeping it off?

if not you might need the rny.

bonvivant57
on 5/2/18 6:52 pm

Unfortunately I was unsuccessful with the band and need a stronger/better tool. I'm leaning towards bypass or DS based on my experience with the band.

Considering_It
on 5/3/18 7:01 pm

Went for consult today and have chosen Bypass - I want to get this WLS right this time, and believe that I need the malabsorption in addition to the restriction.

Most Active
Recent Topics