severe esophageal motility after Gastric Sleeve

grussell
on 7/3/18 12:55 am

i had a VGS 2012 and had GREAT results. Since then during the past 2 or so years, I have been gaining weight. I made an appointment with my original Doctor and after a GI with contrast, I was diagnosed with Severe Esophageal Motility and Severe Gerd. I want a revision but the doctor said that a re-sleeve could not be done. The only option is a Gastric Bypass. Has anyone else been diagnosed with this? I have BCBS Illinois PPO and they do cover medical necessary but I don't think these two diagnosis is enough. Feedback is welcome.

stacyrg
on 7/5/18 3:49 pm, edited 7/5/18 8:49 am
VSG on 05/12/14

a re-sleeve will not cure either problem. f anything, you need a revision to RNY. I had the same thing and revised to RNY in 2016. My motility has improved and so has the GERD. I'm not cured, but it is noticeably better. Oh, and my GERD diagnosis was sufficient to get the conversion to RNY approved.

MammaKathy
on 7/7/18 4:33 pm

It sounds like we are in the same boat. My barium swallow showed severe reflux up into my chest. I had the VSG in 8/2016. My doctor submitted to my insurance this week for GB. Have you heard anything from your insurance yet?

grussell
on 7/7/18 7:03 pm

No I don't think my BMI is high enough. The doc put me on Backlofen to help relax my esophagus. He said the severe motility is what caused the GERD. I can remember early after the sleeve when I could bend forward over the toilet and food would come out. He said that is a first sign of the motility disorder as well as experiencing a pain beneath my left rib. I will be on this medication for 6 weeks then he will do an Endoscopy to see if there is tissue damage and will do a motility test as well. He said they can surgically repair the esophagus but I think it also involves a R&Y which will have to come out of my pocket $12,500. I want a revision to get back on track with my weight loss. I was able to see my my Upper GI screens and he said my sleeve was inflamed or stretched. It is still half the size of a normal stomach. He also said with the motility your esophagus is always open and the sstomach can't release acids to break down foods so now I have horrible constipation. So hopefully I will know more in 6 weeks I will let you kno how it goes. Thanks for replying to my post. Take care

grussell
on 7/7/18 7:05 pm

I am also trying the 5 day pouch reset to see if hi helps with restriction. I am also going to call my insurance Monday to talk with them about all these issues.

MammaKathy
on 7/7/18 7:43 pm

Our story sounds similiar, but unless your BMI is really low, it shouldn't matter. My surgeon said that it is no longer wt loss surgery, but surgery for the severe reflux. He said it does take some fighting with the insurance, but it should be approved. The risks for future problems including Barrets, aspiration, etc is just too high.

MammaKathy
on 7/7/18 7:44 pm

Do you know if you have a mis-shaped sleeve? for example, was part of your fundus left in?

momyshaver
on 7/8/18 1:45 pm, edited 7/8/18 9:31 pm
VSG on 06/28/17
On July 8, 2018 at 2:43 AM Pacific Time, MammaKathy wrote:

Our story sounds similiar, but unless your BMI is really low, it shouldn't matter. My surgeon said that it is no longer wt loss surgery, but surgery for the severe reflux. He said it does take some fighting with the insurance, but it should be approved. The risks for future problems including Barrets, aspiration, etc is just too high.

My upper GI swallow study showed aspirations and the EGD scope showed my sleeve is bent and narrowed (with scar tissue) so fluid takes longer to go through and food will just SIT, pureed soup will sit a bit too. I am just surprised. I initially healed slower than some but I thought I was doing okay until a few months ago I started having symptoms and they have increased. I am only just a year out and my upper part of the sleeve by the esophogus has started to stretch due to the food pocketing and sitting. I am so sad about everything because I had worked so hard and thought I was going to be successful with VSG. Now...I am not sure what is next.

I can feel it shift down where my sleeve starts when it moves and when I took a shower today I flipped my head over to comb through my hair and the flavored water I had drank at least 15 minutes earlier came out my nose along with something that felt acidic. I was very surprised. I have been having increasing intolerance to foods and even purees but I have been pushing what I can. I find it interesting (and I am sorry) that others are dealing with similar symptoms. I am just trying to learn as much as I can between figuring it out medically and reading, reading, reading...hoping whatever is decided is the best choice.

MammaKathy
on 7/8/18 5:40 pm

I am so sorry. I am having the same exact issues. It is no longer about weight loss surgery, but now it is about severe reflux. The surgery is the same, but it is now medically necessary.

unagordita
on 8/6/18 7:29 pm

I'm so sick to my stomach, I have the GERD and I should've already had the RNY done but I was too scared to have it done, so here I am with it getting worse and I know I need to call the surgeon and schedule the surgery I have to take 1 rintandine 300mg pills 2x a day and the acid reflux just feels ugh. So sick of this I also am scared to have the rny done I know I'm headed that way. It's not about the weight it's getting rid of the acid reflux.

Most Active
Recent Topics