severe reflux

amytang81
on 8/31/18 10:35 am
VSG on 07/28/10 with

I have been battling with GERD for a few years only worsening over this past year. Taking prevacid 30mg twice a day and carafate 1gm four times a day. Had an EGD this morning and my GI doctor feels all my problems are from the sleeve. Apparently, my surgeon left a pouch at the bottom of my sleeve. He is recommended revision. Of course, I'm super nervous about that but also don't want to take PPIs for the rest of my life either.

I'm curious if anyone else has had similar issues. Did you have the revision? Did you revise to another sleeve or go for a bypass?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

stacyrg
on 8/31/18 11:10 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I had VSG in 2014. 8 months later I started having issues with reflux. I underwent a ton of test. My sleeve was perfect, but my body couldn't adjust and over produced acid. My acid levels were 409% higher than normal. It's very typical to have issues with GERD post sleeve as the VSG creates a closed, high-pressure system and the acid has nowhere to go but up. Anyway, I revised to RNY on 7/1/16. It eliminated my acid by about 80%.

Revising to another sleeve (if they even do that) won't solve your acid issues.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I'm pretty much an open book.

amytang81
on 8/31/18 1:11 pm
VSG on 07/28/10 with

Apparently, the surgeon had left the base of my stomach much wider than a normal sleeve. He said that he has noticed that this particular surgeon did that alot. How I understand is that is what is creating the acid. However, I would be extremely nervous to sleeve again if that was even a thing just incase it didnt solve the acid.

I feel like crying because I'm in pain daily but I'm not. I am still lucky I only have this issue. Prior to your revision were you in pain daily. Pain that would go from dull burning pain and occasionally increase to pain that would almost send you to the emergency room? I sometimes feel like I'm being over dramatic.

How is the bypass post sleeve? Any complications? I know dumping is a side effect but as long as you dont consume more than 5gm of sugar that doesn't happen?? Also, how are your vitamins? Are you taking them daily?

Thanks for your insight on this I appreciate it.

stacyrg
on 8/31/18 2:23 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

In my opinion, if you're having acid with a wider sleeve, "re-sleeving" which would make it more narrow, wouldn't help, since the narrow, closed system creates the acid issue.

I was in pain and throwing up stomach acid. It wasn't every day, and I was on pretty strong PPIs (dexilant x2 plus zantac 300) and it was barely controlling things.

Like I said, bypass post sleeve has issues for me. I dump off of both sugar and fat, so I have to be careful or prepared. I also now have both regular hypoglycemia and reactive hypoglycemia. So, while I was never diabetic and didn't need to check my blood before my surgery, I now carry a glucose monitor with me and check my blood sugar regularly. My vitamin levels are fine, but my surgeon has both his sleeve and bypass patients on the same vitamin protocol and I never ever miss a dose.

menissaann
on 10/5/18 1:12 pm

Hi, Have you had any issues since your revision? Malabsoprtion or anything? Did you revise to RNY or the mini RNY? I have severe acid reflux and my GI said either a revision or he can do a TIF. (basically making my esophagus longer). I am trying to make the best decision on what to do. Is your acid a lot better and are you off your medicines?

LDGonza
on 9/22/18 10:39 am

I'm worried about vitamin absorbsion after my sleeve to rny revision. I am 2years out n complained to doc about really bad reflux and that i couldnt stand it. He was so sure that it would be no big deal. But of course sent me to an upper gi to make sure since the meds he put me on were not helping. Before i could even set the appointment he called me back saying that my iron levels and other vitamin levels were way too low and that i had to switch to vitamin patches. What worried me is that i was religious about taking my daily vitamins n they weren't working.

Well turns out that i have a hiatal hernia and my pouch healed small so the pressure created repairing the hernia will not resolve my issues do he gave me the options of more meds or revision. He kept repeating he wasnot pushing surgery but that being do young my quality of life would suffer with life long meds that might not help. Im 35.

ayin33
on 10/12/18 11:03 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 02/27/08 with

The issue with GERD is why I had my revision on 9/11/18. I had GERD and hard coughing to the point I would vomit. My PCP also said I cracked a couple of ribs coughing. The sleeve was the start of all this for me. I progressed to having my gall bladder out and then the GERD took over, worsening over time. My surgeon said the sleeve was high-pressure and his conversion to a bypass resulted in a low-pressure system. I have had a little heartburn and he still has me taking omeprazole and ranitidine for the time being. I no longer have the overwhelming GERD so I am thrilled. And with losing weight!

Most Active
Recent Topics