Best Surgeons to Reverse RYX Gastric Bypass

Vinfin7
on 9/21/18 1:48 pm, edited 9/21/18 4:11 pm

I have a rare complication called Post-Bariatric Hypoglycemia (PBH) that manifested 8 years post-op. I'm under the care of gastric bypass surgeons, endocrinologists, cardiologists, gastroenterologists, and internal medicine. After 20 hospitalizations in 2018, with 8 of them ending with me being admitted, I've had countless tests performed. Dietary modifications and medication management failed, so my doctors are all in agreement that my surgery needs to be reversed. Though there are significant risks to consider -including the possibility that reversal will not correct my hypoglycemia- my current condition can be life-threatening, as it's getting increasingly worse and more difficult to manage.

I was a poster child for RNY surgery, with many obesity-related conditions, all of which resolved after surgery (including my T2 Diabetes). At 5'10", I was 280 at my peak weight. After 7-8 months, I had gone down to 165lbs. I kept my weight off. However, in March 2018, I had emergency surgery to remove food that was lodged in my gastric pouch. Shortly afterwards, I developed PBH.

MANY doctors perform RNY but very FEW ever reverse them, so I am aware of the risks even when performed by a surgeon experienced with reversal. I am looking to put together a list of doctors who have had success in reversing RNY gastric bypass so that I may research my best options. Please post a response if you know of a surgeon or surgeons who successfully reverse RNY. I live between NYC and Philadelphia, but am willing to travel anywhere in the US to have the best surgeon perform my reversal. PLEASE DON'T RESPOND WITH A HORROR STORY ABOUT REVERSAL. I am aware of the risks, but my life is at risk right now and reversal one of my only options.

bonvivant57
on 9/25/18 10:24 am

Try Dr. Philip Schauer at the Cleveland Clinic.

216-445-2224

Best of luck.

MarinaGirl
on 9/27/18 7:50 pm

I recommend you have a video consult with Dr. K, who is one of the best revision surgeons in the US, and he also resolves complex abdominal issues.

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS

10 Congress St, Ste 300

Pasadena, CA 91105

Phone: 818-812-7222

Most Active
Recent Topics