revision after RNY GBP ???

Roy K.
on 4/15/04 6:57 am - Rehovot, Israel
Hello everybody, I'm Roie, a 32 year-old Israeli guy. I've had a non-laparoscopic gastric bypass & lost all my over-weight. I was very pleased in the first 3 years but than I've began gaining weight again. Tests showed an opened GASTRO-JEJUNEUM FISTULA, but one can't be certain whether that's the obesity cause. Anyway, the restraining effect was lost 3 years ago & now I'm able to consume large meals as if I've never had a surgery. Prior to the bypass I've had GASTRIC BANDING & SRVG, but to no avail. There are gastric restraining surgeries performed in Israel such as SRVG which was left aside in favor of GASTRIC BANDING & only small amount of gastric bypasses were made. 20 years ago, 600 traditional gastric bypasses were made but these patients were not later monitored & their current status is unknown. As a matter of fact, Israel has little experience in revisions of gastric bypass as in the U.S. America is known for its successful bypasses & that's the reason I wanted your advice. Since the gastric restraining surgeries I've lost 20 kg & than had a bypass & lost 25 kg more. During the last 2.5 years I've gained all the 25 kg back following the bypass, & I'm deeply disappointed. One of our surgeons, highly experienced in bypasses as well, offered me a dynamic band under the esophagus, but I fear it'll cause problems, not to mention I'm not certain whether it'll help me reduce all I've gained & avert further obesity. Since Israel has no experience with bypassed intestine, how much to bypass & what's the limit in order to avoid sub-absorption difficulties, I find myself with no answers. I really need your response. What would you do instead in order to regain both the surgical effect and the weight lost? I'm quite self-obedient regarding food. I eat health-food based on fruit, vegetables, poultry, cereals, bread, soups. I'm used to low-fat food, both in meat & in dairy. I'm not a sweats-freak but not having a "dumping" syndrome while consuming sweats as well, wine or alcohol excluded (seldomly). I'm not beyond help when food is concerned, but I am usually very hungry. My hunger nowadays is very uncontrolable & it's hard for me to override it. I find myself eating very often. That's about it. I'll be more than happy to read any answer. Roie, Israel
Andrea J.
on 4/22/04 11:15 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
First of all, if I were you I would post this in the regular message board cause I've found that in the revision board you will get little if any response. Anyway, I am having a revision to my surgery in the next couple weeks do to weight gain. I am a little unclear about which version of the gastric bypass you have had, so if you could write me back not just telling me the name of it, but to the best of your knowledge what exactly they did, and then maybe we can go from there. thanks, andrea
Roy K.
on 4/24/04 3:14 am - Rehovot, Israel
Last time a friend of mine wrote for me the message here and now i have to write it by myself... I hope it will be understandable .. regarding your question, I had RNY GASTRIC BYPASS 5 years ago. my surgeon did it as a short limb RNY gastric bypass. It means that the lenght of the bypassed intestine isn't more than 70 cm .. it was an open surgery and without a band arround the stomach.. my surgeon created 30 cc pouch connected to the small intetine there are some varies and combinations of RNY GBP.. the major difference is in the length of the bypass I don't know what to do about it .. what was the major problem in your case? and which surgery has been done to you? why did you gain weight again ? i'm sorry if i have mistakes thanks again, roy
GrannyLaLa
on 4/29/04 4:26 pm - South,, AR
I've read where some of the people that have had a gastric bypass and started regaining weight have had a Lapband put around the pouch. It is adjustable and you can continue to lose weight for years to come. You can go to the Lapband board for information. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics