I wish I had know this

My H.
on 4/25/04 3:59 pm - Sidney, OH
I am finding much more information about WLS now and wish I had known these things before my original open RNY surgery on 2-28-00. I was a slow looser right from the get go, only lost about 60% of my excess weight total. I don't gain any back, but I also don't loose anymore reguardless of what I do. I can monitor what I'm eating, totally ignore what I'm eating, work hard, be relaxed a while, it doesn't matter, I stay about the same, it hasn't changed since I lost it...but the amount I lost was a big disapointment. The tools we are given are the same tools that are out there before we have the surgery, and because we are not able to use them well, we opt for surgery. The surgery itself is suppose to cause a certian amount of weightloss in itself, and no more dieting, just eating balanced, and we shouldn't gain, but I'm reading that many people do gain, and quite a few gain it all back, some even more ! I read were someone posted that the reason for a revision is that some do not use the tools they are given after the surgery. I don't think that person put much thought into that comment. The surgeries are just not a fix all for everyone. The differences in metabolism, family genes, etc., vary so much, that the results of the surgery for any two people can differ widely. I never found enough information on these things when I originally researched, as I said, and I wish I did, because I would have requested a 'distal' RNY, rather then a 'proximal', and I think my weight loss would have been more successful. Possibly I could have requested a BPD/DS proceedure rather then the RNY, to prevent the dumping syndrome also. Another draw back to the RNY over the BPD/DS, is that I'm having problems with clogging of the anastamosis, making me feel full, can't eat, stuffed up, upper abdomen enlarges, swells, hurts terrible ! I may even have a stoma ulcer. So.....my reason for my recent visit to a doctor to discuss revision is mainly to check out these problem areas, and see if there is anything he can do....he said "I am a candidate for revision and he sees no problem", so after some tests, I'll go back to see him and find out what he plans to do. I'd like those things fixed, and I'd like to go on and loose the rest of my weight. I am still 100 lbs overweight, though I have not gained any of my weight back from my original surgery. I don't know if they can change the 'type' of surgery I had after the RNY, it may be to late for that, but possibly that can change the amount of bypass to a 'distal' as I said, which will increase weight loss, and repair problems that need fixed while in there. I also have stomach hernias to fix, after years of factory work, so thank goodness that will be repaired at the same time, and maybe even get the gallbladder out.... So I need surgery anyway and the revision will just make it all worth it. The doctor I'm seeing is John P. Maguire, he comes highly recommended by many. Any ideas or suggestions about these matters are welcome...
Most Active
Recent Topics