One year after my surgery, I am suffering

Yolan S.
on 6/2/04 12:45 am - Roslyn, NY
Hi everyone. I had my bariatric gastric bypass surgery over 13 months ago. The results of my weight loss have been fabulous. I went from 275 to my present 145 and look great. I work out 3-4 days per week and hopefully will be having some excess skin removed when we can afford the surgery. BUT... I have been throwing up and getting sick consistently now since october. I pretty much struggle to ingest 500 calories per day. Even water was burning going down. It turns out that a SEVERE ulcer developed at the bypass opening and into the tube itself. The ulcer has healed with Protonix & Prevacid, but the scar tissue has left the opening virtually closed. The surgeon, who is excellent, says he prescribes a 10mm opening. I was shut, hence the stuck food. I have gone in for 3 endoscopys and 2 "balloon" dialatings. The first time, they opened me back up to appx 7mm. They want to do it slwly because the permannent sutures can pop, and that would mean immediately opening me up. In one week, I started vomiting again. I went for another dialation as my surgeon advised. This time it did not help at all. He wants to send me to a more aggressive doctor one more time before opening me up again. If he does, which he is trying to avoid, understandably so, he will remove 2 inches from the bypass intestine (remove the scarr tissue) and hook it back up, this time with a 15-20 mm opening in case I ulcerate again. Since this is the revision board, I was wondering if my story is similar to anyone out there. THANX!! YOLAN
Leonard
on 6/5/04 6:56 pm - Rancho Mirage, CA
Hi Yolan, sorry to hear all of this. Wishing you very best and a speedy recovery. Leonard
Leonard
on 6/5/04 6:56 pm - Rancho Mirage, CA
Hi Yolan, sorry to hear all of this. Wishing you very best and a speedy recovery. Leonard
melinda P.
on 6/23/04 9:32 am - Fishkill, ny
Well I am 3.5yrs out of surgery and I have had 10 dilitations, as a matter of fact had one yesterday. He has opened me up to 12mm. It still starts to close up. I am now in the process of seeing if I can get opened back up to have him fix this problem. I say do it now while you can. I hate this. This has been an on going battle for me, for the past 3yrs. Its nuts to still have to be going thru this. I vomit and everything like you when the opening starts to close. I wish you all the best, and please keep me posted as it seems we are going thru a similar problem. melinda
Most Active
Recent Topics