revision?? reversal?? not sure what will be done

Dawn M.
on 6/24/04 10:34 am - Foosland, IL
I've been desperately looking for someone who has gone through what my husband is going through. He is 3 years out from RNY, lost 210 pounds and doing fairly well. Unfortunately, within months of surgery, he began having kidney stone problems (never had them prior to surgery & there is no family history of them). We literally just found out Friday that he is one of the lucky few that has developed "absorptive hyperoxaluria" caused by fat malabsorption. His nephrologist has been working with him for 4 months now with different types of medications, but his oxylate level is still 4 1/2 times the upper limit of normal! This is a serious problem that is seriously damaging his kidneys & we are told that he will be in full kidney failure if things don't improve. He had one last set of medication issues for Darwin to try, but said that if his levels are still that high next month, that he will need to see a surgeon about some type of reversal or revision of his gastric bypass. In the mean time we've gotten his surgical report & found out that his Dr. bypassed 225 cm - more than is usually bypassed & that is probably what the problem is. (short limb is usually 100cm; long limb is usually 150cm) We are trying to find anyone that has been through some type of reversal/ revision of their RNY. Specifically, he doesn't want to have a total reversal, but we don't even know what type of options might be out there. He will not be going back to his physician (thank god). And we have talked to my physician's nurse (I had gastric bypass 9 months ago & am down 97 pounds and doing great). She told us that my physician would probably refer him to Barnes in St. Louis. I'm looking for anyone that can give us some information about this illness - if they've been through it. About having a "partial reversal" (if there is such an animal), about the surgeons at Barnes? About anything that might help us with this problem!! Thanks, Dawn Miller
Most Active
Recent Topics