Staples still in and need revision please help!!!

Veronica B.
on 7/21/04 12:02 am - Irving, TX
My mom had her stomach stapled about 15 years ago and she has since gained back a lot of weight. After me having my surgery 3 months ago she decided to start the process of having a revision. She was asked to go drink some liquid to see if the staples were still in place and they are. Does anyone know if Blue Cross will pay for a revision when the staples are still in place and the only thing is that the stomach has been streached?? Please help, I really want my mom to have this done!!!! Thanks Veronica
Maureen P.
on 7/21/04 6:42 am - Garland, TX
Which Blue Cross? Each state is different. BCBSTX, IL or NM....good luck...their criteria is stringent and they rarely, if ever, approve anyone now...April 9, 2004 was the change date in guidelines...I hope she does not have one of those state coverages....good luck!
Lorna R.
on 7/25/04 4:16 am - Merced, CA
I live in California and just had a revision on 7/22/2004- I had x-rays too but once the surgery was done my husband said my stomach was bigger than the x-ray showed and my staples were intact as far as we could see- I still have to go to my one week post op to be sure but I could eat like normal people do before. My surgery was also 15 years ago and according to my surgical group it is different now they do the roux en y in a part of the stomach that is less likely to stretch-has your mom had a endoscopy- I had 3-4 health issures and a bmi of 45,( I think) so insurance covered- I have been told even if they deny your first attempt keep trying- it is worth it for good health the rest of our lives as long as we learn how to use our new tool-a baby stomach!!!! I have been trying hard to do everything they told me to do- don't give up!!!! My Insurance was blue shield blue cross ppo Lorna
Lyric
on 9/8/04 1:37 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi Veronica, I was revised from a VBG to the DS in Dec of last year and this was covered by my insurance BCBS Carefirst PPO. I think that if WLS is covered it doesn't matter whether its the first or 2nd time. Keep us posted. Lyric
Most Active
Recent Topics