Intrested in revision to DS

KerryBnTX
on 2/1/05 4:15 am - Alvord, TX
Hello, My name is Kerry Barrett. I live in Texas. I just read an article about DS revision. In 1990 I had VBG in Lubbock performed by Dr. David Hall. I lost 120lbs in a little over 6mo. I kept the weight off for just over a year. After a job loss, divorce, bankruptcy and move I became clinically depressed, weight gain of about 30lbs also fed the depression. I sought professional help for the depression and experimented with several anti-depressants before finding a good fit. A couple of the early meds I tried made me crave sweets to a large degree. I was now up another 60lbs. I contacted Dr Hall about my disappointment and he told me that he was now doing RNY and that it might help me loose some of the weight. I had it done in 93-94. I lost about 50lbs. I noticed that the quantity I could eat had not been reduced. I asked Dr. Hall about this and he said that he had checked my band and that it was the correct size. He didn't adjust the band or change the size of the my pouch. I did not have dumping syndrome when eating sweets. I did notice a lactose intolerance and I still avoid whole milk or ice-cream. I have even noticed that when I try the lactose free milk I still bloat and have gas. I can tolerate cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, yogurt and cooked milk products fine. I was 5'7.5" tall in 1990 and weighed 290lbs. Today I am 5'6" and weigh 260lbs. I have had a bone density test and it is normal for my age (46 in April). My main health complaint is that they are calling me Diabetic now. My blood sugar is usually between 140-180. I have not been diagnosed with arthritis, however I have chronic pain in my hips and sometime in my left knee. I have constant sciatica and can hardly lay on my left side. I have low energy level and become short of breath with little exertion. I fortunatley have always had low blood-pressure and it is currently about normal due to the anti-depressant I am now on (Wellbutrin) . It became extremely low during my revision surgery and my body temperature dropped. I became 'shocky' and was rushed to ICU with the silver blanket, booties and hat. My family was very alarmed. I know that incident will be an issue when I broach the subject with my parents. They were scared witless. Since the revision I have had a hysterectomy and some of my lower colon was removed due to endometriosis in my colon. I have had major changes in my hair. Where I once had heavy corse-ish hair, I now have baby fine hair and I can see the cotour of my scalp through the front part. I do worry about loosing it all if I have major weight loss. I need to know where I should start. Should I talk to a surgeon first? Should I talk to my original surgeon? Should I talk to my PCP and have him order an upper GI? I have BCBS of Texas throuh Halliburton. I wonder if they would approve an out of state surgeon. There are no surgeons in Texas who do DS and I am pretty sure that is the way I want to go if I go at all. Sorry I have rambled on so. Do you have any advise for me? I certainly appreciate it. Kerry Barrett Alvord, Texas
F A.
on 2/2/05 4:02 am - TAYLORSVILLE, IA
Hi Kerry, Not sure if you're aware, there is a DS forum. The posters are extremely knowledgeable on this type of surgery - several who have revised to DS. It is actually what I would've preferred myself, however the availability of a surgeon who performs this procedure as well as the insurance coverage did not permit the DS.
Leronica S.
on 2/12/05 9:40 pm - IL
Kerry, I would suggest an upper GI or seeing a surgeon who is knows about revisions. Because of your several surgeries I wouldn't just trust anyone. Also, there may be other factors involved. I am having horrible acid reflux, shoulder/back pain, restlessness, vomitting and a host of other stuff. A CTscan and upper gi showed i had a hiatal hernia. my pouch is ok, but with the nature of an rny after 4 great years my weight is coming back. my surgeon is saying DS is way to go and insurance is paying so that is what i'm having. Since DR. Hall didn't do anything when you had issues with the RNY i would be loathe to see him again. Good Luck! Ronnie
Most Active
Recent Topics