Stomach Stapling in 1980

DiPhillips
on 2/28/05 1:47 am - Rock Island, IL
I had stomach stapling in 1980. I am considring a revision. The doctor I had way back in 1980 has since then retired and my old records can't be found. Has anyone had a revision and has it worked? I orginally lost 200 lbs. and over the years put back about 100 lbs and relost it and regained again by various methods. I really want this. I have been on disability from Arthiritis and Fibromyalgia for many years. I have mild sleep apnea, asthma and am being treated for high blood pressure too. I have seen a bariatirc surgeon and have had a few tests done. I had an upper endoscopy done last Friday. The surgeon said my pouch is still intact but the opening leading from the stomach is larger than it should be therefore the food doesn't stay in my stomach like it should so I don't stay full. I have to see him again next week. He is going to confer with the other doctors in his office to see what can be done to correct this. I have medicare and medicaid for my medical coverage.
Gramsto3
on 2/28/05 8:44 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
I also had a stomach stapling in 1980. I had a revision in 9/04 and so far have lost 77 since surgery and 85 lbs total since starting the journey. I have lost very little since Christmas and was just advised this week that with revision surgeries our weight loss may not be as good as someone never going through this procedure again. I had fistulas (wholes) where my staples had failed from my surgery so they had to go in and repair those as they had ulcerated. If you still have your pouch and only your opening is too large you may want to ask them about sclerotherapy which is where they inject a solution into the stoma (opening) and it causes scaring to close up the opening. They are doing this in Michigan now with success. You may have to go for the procedure a couple of times depending on how large the opening is but it is something that can be done as an outpatient and here the surgeon who does your surgery (I had an open RNY) is the one that can perform this procedure but also a gastroenterologist I believe can do it. I will give you a warning though that unless you work at this real hard after the initial weight loss (for me it was about four months) that unless I pay particular attention to what I eat and drink the weight comes right back on make sure this is something you are willing to give 100 percent to. Good luck.
debdoc
on 4/1/05 8:42 am - fort wayne, IN
i too, had stomach stapling in 1980. lost 120 lbs. back then, but regained it and a whole lot more over the last 25 years. i decided to try the surgical route again. had an open rny at the end of january...and i'm down 71 lbs so far. it's going great...i'm feeling great...and hoping for the best.
mschrief
on 2/13/14 11:44 am

I had a vertical banded gastrectomy at the Brook Army Medical Center in 1980.  When I had the surgery I weighed 273, I'm at 218 now. I've been as low as 120 lbs.

I would love to have a Roux-en-Y but I am not fat enough!

Anyone out there had this surgery at BAMC I would love to hear from you.

Most Active
Recent Topics