Considering revision

Kellaneese P.
on 5/31/05 6:40 am - College Station, AR
Hello, all. I'm new to this site. I had an open RNYGB 7-22-98. Pre-op: 393 lbs.; lowest post-op: 220 lbs; currently 330 lbs. I'm sure you all understand why I'm considering a revision. I never had any medical problems, never had any pre/post-op problems. I just regained all of my weight. I'm very depressed. Over the last year I've tried a program similar to Medi/Optifast. It was physician supervised, weekly classes, and we could cook the supplement. I failed at that. I just feel so defeated by my weight right now. I'm a 33 y/o mother of a 9 y/o daughter. I'm a newlywed (as of 5-16-05 ) with a wonderful husband who loves me as I am. I'm not happy with myself anymore, though, and I know that will affect my family. It helps to know I'm not alone in my struggle even after WLS. After my 6 wk. f/u with my surgeon, I never saw anyone else, no nutritionist, no support group, nothing. I was on my own. I kept my lowest weight about 6 mths. before I started regain. I'm considering a DS. I printed the article recommended by one of you all and it was encouraging. I'm just afraid that I'll be denied since I have no problems except a hernia. I found that out when I had an upper GI in October of '04. Any help would be great.
waarce
on 6/1/05 6:10 am - Pasadena, CA
Instead of considering a revision (higher complication risks), you should go back to basics. What made you gain all of the weight back? Did started eating the wrong foods? Are you an emotional eater (it sounds like that by the tone of your letter)? Did you stop exercising? Start with Stage One, then two, then three, etc.... Start replacing one of your meals with a protein shake, stop eating carbs (are evil) and sugars. Believe it or not, most WLS patiens are on their own, most only seeing the surgeons once a year, if not at all. You have assume responsibility for your actions and see where did you fail. WLS is just a tool, and regardless what kind of surgery you had to still have to work at it. We are all humans, and we all make mistakes, but we need to learn from those and find a happy medium that we can live with. I know that when I reach my goal weight is not a license to over eat or eat the wrong things. It is a point to reassess what needs to be done in order to keep the weight down. Don't get discouraged and trie once again, remember your stomach still much smaller than before the surgery, it just a matter of discipline. Good luck, take care and God bless.
Kellaneese P.
on 6/1/05 6:35 am - College Station, AR
Guillermo, I have to wonder why you're even on this board. From reading your profile, it's my understanding that you're a rookie, just having your surgery this past February and all. I know you're excited and happy right now. I'm not going to be mean, and believe me, with the way I feel right now, I could be, in response to your reply. I can only hope that you're singing the same tune in 5 or 6 years from now. In 1998, I was the same optimistic person that you seem to be at this point. I will say this, I HAVE gone back to basics, I HAVE eliminated carbs, I HAVE exercised to the point that my toenails from having Morton's toe (an elongated toe) kept falling off, I HAVE tried starving myself on that physician supervised program, I HAVE tried counting points with WW, I have tried everything I can think of and afford! And, with that, I'm going to end this because as I said, I don't want to be mean.
waarce
on 6/1/05 11:06 am - Pasadena, CA
Thanks for not being mean. It is true, I am "newbie", but after having a brush with death as a result of my WLS, and the prospect of having to be opened up to "revise" the surgery, I can speak by experience. After spending 2 days in ICU and an additional 7 days in the hospital looking at the prospect of having to have it done again (WLS) is something to ponder about, don't you think? By the way, my surgeon indicated that the risks of life threatening complications were much greater on the planned revision than when I had the surgery the first time around. Further, I lurk around this board because I almost had to have WLS once again to save my life. It was not fun, it was scary, but thanks God the problem was resolved without the need for further surgery. Just the idea of not being able to see my children again and not meeting my new baby on the way, was at best terrifying. We all shall not take surgery as a walk in the park, it is something to think long and hard. Furthermore, I am still in danger of having to have it redone (WLS), not because I failed to lose weight, but because there maybe a physiological problem caused by the surgery that does not allow me to eat solids, I am already almost 4 months out and I am still in the pureed/soft food stage. Would I like to submit to another surgery like this? Not in my lifetime if I can help it. I wish you the best in your endevours, take care, good luck, and God bless.
DBS
on 6/3/05 10:21 pm - Southwest, OH
Kellaneese, Your story is so similar to mine---even down to the Optifast diet last year! Now, I am different in that my original surgery was in 1987 and I went from 264 to 128 in about a year. About 6 years later I started gaining---I won't bore you with the whole story. Do you think there were problems with your original surgery? I finally decided this can't go on. I can practically TASTE the old joy of being thin and healthy and active. So I just went in to my old surgeon. He did an Upper GI on me. My staple line is gone! Same old stomach, same old me. So I am getting a revision. But I think a DS now, it sounds like there are much less complications and less failure, and the gas and stinky poop is a fair trade-off. My surgeon is the best in the area for DS. G. is right, there are more risks related to revision. You have to balance that out with the health risks of staying fat. Sometimes you really are between a rock and a hard place. But at 330, you are pretty much proof that "socially acceptable means" such as diet and exercise isn't working. You need to to ask questions. How many revisions has your doctor done, what is his complication and mortality rate, etc. So how far along are you in the process? I have the informational meeting on 7/29, which seems forever away. I don't agree with G. about support. I can tell things are way different than 20 years ago. Like, a hour and a half info seminar is now almost 4 hours. Just on this board alone, I see there are support groups all over my area, for WLS in general and DS in particular. So plan on getting involved with them and staying involved. And the OH boards themselves, plus all the other WLS boards out there. When you have a question or a concern or just need a hand to hold, it's just a keyboard away. Plus my doctor's office---same as 20 years ago---has so many more supports in place. No, I don't take this decision lightly, especially since I am doing this self-pay, but if you have all your info and questions,t hen you can go into it well-informed and armored with facts. Stay in touch! Darlene P.S. Do you know I read on some board---I don't know where---that knee replacement surgery has a higher mortality rate than WLS? I don't know if that is true....
Robin M
on 6/29/05 12:06 pm - State of Grace, CA
Kellaneese, I am just a lurker here and do not qualify to give anyone advice. I read the posts to see what procedures have the highest failure rate and what type of complications people are having. I have also decided on the DS. Based on a 10 year study it had the best weight loss maintenance. I am not doing this to be thinking about a revision in 8 years. I listed a copy of links that might be helpful. But, it seems you may be the type of person that already does a lot of research. I have also included a recipie for "lower" calorie potato salad. After all, it is Bar-B-Que season (http://groups.)yahoo.com/group/DS_Revision/ (http://www.)dssurgery.com/generalinformation/comparison_table.pdf http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/surgtype-forums/DS/posts.html Ingredients 4 medium-sized potatoes, with skins One can tuna packed in water, drained 1 avocado, diced 6 Tbsp. capers, with juice 1 red onion, diced 4 Tbsp. olive oil Pepper to taste Boil potatoes until tender. Leave the skins on, because they're a great source of fiber! Chop the potatoes. Mix all the ingredients together, being careful not to turn the potatoes and avocado into mush. Serves 8. Enjoy with grilled chicken, grilled veggies, and maybe a beer (what the heck, it's only Independence Day once a year). Nutrition Facts (per serving) Calories 201 Carbs 20 g Protein 8 g Fat 10 g Sat Fat 1 g Fiber 4 g Keep in mind, this stuff still has plenty of calories and is not the highest in fiber, but at least there is some protein in it, and it's not the mayo-and-cholesterol fest most potato salads turn out to be. Enjoy Robindaringtobelieveadifferentkindoflifeispossible
Judi C.
on 6/30/05 4:36 am - houston, TX
Kellaneese Good day to you! Like a previous poster stated, I am just a lurker on this board and I am not in need of a revision. I can understand that it must be a very frustrating place to be weight wise. I know that WLS is only a tool and that a lot is determined by dietary compliance, exercise etc ~ and no one solution works for everyone. That said, I really do believe the duodenal switch is an excellent tool. I had the DS 12FEB04, I did not have an easy post op road. I had a post operative infection and several issues where I did not feel very well until about June 2004. I am doing fine now and pleased to say that I am living a life both movement and option wise that I could not have done before. If you decide the DS is your choice, please try to choose a surgeon experienced in revisions. For additional information, I would suggest that you post on the DS board as well as www.duodenalswitch.com - there are many knowledgeable people there. I wish you peace - if you have any other questions feel free to email me. Take Care, Judi C 02-12-2004/DS/Dr Baltasar/SW-330/CW-157
Most Active
Recent Topics