Is this what I will be expecting from Florida Surgeons?

Carolyn B.
on 6/14/05 10:14 am - Clearwater, FL
I am in the process of seeing several doctors regarding having a revision to my RNY. My surgery was done in 2001 in Reno, NV. Since I am not living there now...I will have to find a new doctor here in Florida. Today, I rec'd paperwork to fill out prior to my first visit. On the front page it stated that I will have to pay $150.00 the first visit just to speak with a Physicians Assistant. And before my surgery is scheduled I have to come up with $1100.00 more to cover the cost of the doctor keeping in touch with me via e-mail, to be able to access their office via the web, etc. This is a 3 year communication thing that they require. I spoke with the office to have them explain to me why I have to pay $150.00 upfront...what if I don't like the doctor? And I would like to know his experience with doing revisions before I decide on him. My question...will I run across this with most doctors in Florida? I have good insurance that will cover my office visits and my surgery. But they state plainly on the info that I rec'd that this communication package that they are charging over $1200.00 for is not covered by any insurance. Sorry for the rambling..but I hope this is not what I have to deal with to get my revision. Any suggestions or comments...Thank you!
Cassandra K
on 6/18/05 6:45 am - Reno, NV
Carolyn, Yes many surgeons require a program fee for long term followup that isn't covered by insurance. My first surgeon' fee was $2000 out of pocket and some charge as much as $3000-5000 for a revisoin. The good news is you want to find a good surgeon that has a good follow up program. You don't one one that only performs the surgery and sends you on your way. Not all surgeons charge a program fee though. My revision surgeon who is an excellent surgeon and the head of surgery at the USC hospital in Los Angeles doesnt' charge a program fee at all. My revision was pretty much all covered by insurance except for my co-pay portions. Good revision surgeons are hard to come by and I urge you to do your research. If you've already had a failed restrictive only surgery such as a VBG, Lapband or RNY I would urge you to look into a revision to a DS=duodenalswitch. In the state of California, Many revisions are being appealed and turned down for another restrictive only procedure in favor of approving a DS. Please read more about it at (www.) duodenalswitch.com or join us here at OH on the DS forum. You will probably have to travel out of Florida though for a good DS revision surgeon. You may want to check out Dr. Dennis Smith in Atlanta or Dr. Husted in TN as a couple that are the closest to you. I'm not sure about Dr. Kim in Florida as he was performing the DS at one time but not so sure about his revision experience. Some of the most famous lap DS revision surgeons with great results are Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco and Dr. Gagner in NY. Also Dr. Crookes is a very good choice in LA for an open revision. Good Luck Cassandra 10/01/04 DS Revision Dr. Crookes/USC Los Angeles -105 bmi 26 size 8
Carolyn B.
on 6/20/05 12:13 pm - Clearwater, FL
Cassandra: I had my rny done in Reno..by Western Surgical. Who did your first surgery? I did contact that office to see if their office did revisions...they don't. We are planning on moving back to Reno, and I plan to seek a doctor. The doctors that you recommend are Rabkin in SF and Crookes in LA? May I ask why you had the revision? And may I ask when you had your first surgery? Thank you for your response and I hope to keep in touch with you. How long have you lived in Reno? Carolyn
bamabandster
on 6/22/05 2:09 pm - Central, AL
Her profile says: Had open Duodenalswitch weightloss surgery in April of 2001 with Dr. Keshishian in Delano, CA. which was a failure. 10/01/04 I had my revision with Dr. Peter Crookes at USC in Los Angeles.
Ruth S.
on 7/11/05 12:04 pm - Orlando, FL
Anything is possible in this world, right. But I can tell you my doc has done revisions and if you have insurance (I believe it won't be a problem) and he doesn't have alot of requirements (in terms of tests, etc). Let me give you his office number and inquire from them. He is in Ocala but if you can get the revision w/o alot of hurdles wouldn't it be worth it? Surgical Associates of Marion County, 2965 S.E. 3rd Court, Ocala, FL 34471 Phone:352-368-2828 or email: [email protected] Keep me posted.
Most Active
Recent Topics