Band/RNY/DS

lala_teach
on 8/15/05 7:55 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi there all. I had lap RNY done 7/26. My sister is about a 35 BMI and my mom is around a 30 BMI. They both struggle as much as I did and are looking into the lapband. I am wondering how many of the revisioners(ha ha) had which procedure first. I knw they should go to the lightweights board. I am just curious to see how many started with which procedure. Any input appreciated, Angela
becklath
on 8/18/05 3:17 am - Norman, OK
I started with Vertical Banded Gastroplasty, which is like the lap band only not adjustable. I am now looking at the possibility of a revision to RNY as I have gained back a large percentage of the weight I originally lost. I think RNY is the bette choice for me (and if I had had all the facts, its what I would have originally gone with) because I really feel that I need the malabsorption aspect. But remember, this is a very personal decision; and the important factors in making this decision are different for everybody. So I am not trying to say X surgery is better than Y overall, just what I feel is better for me... rl
katful
on 8/20/05 2:32 am - North, Id
I agree, I am scheduled for a revision from vbg to a possible ds. The results where less that I had hoped, I really felt a failure. I am tring to be positive that this next procedure what ever they are able to achieve will be more successful that the vbg that I had previously. Orig surgery was 2 yr 4 months ago. Start weight was 268 lost to 197 currently 220 with steady weight gain.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/24/05 5:22 am - Tuvalu
I'm looking for a revision from LapBand to DS. The BMI of 35 might be approved of with sufficient co-morbidities...the BMI of 30 is less likely. Here IMHO is why...A 5'4' woman with a BMI of 22 weighs 128, with a BMI of 30, her weight is 174, so her excess weight is 46 pounds. the typical band patient (and it's pretty close to that for RnY, for that matter) has lost about 62% of excess weight at the two year mark. So, there is an EXCELLENT chance that the patient will lose around 30 pounds. For many of the US surgeons, there is not enough benefit for the risk.
Most Active
Recent Topics