scared of sugery yet have to do something...help please

lizarizona
on 8/21/05 12:24 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Over 15 years ago in grad school I had a silastic ring gastroplasty... aka stomach stapling (not one minute of aftercare). I am currently 240 lbs and never got below 190 from a high of 276. The struggle still continues. My current insurance has wls excluded... so if i had a revision it would be cash. That is an issue but worse is that I am petrified to have surgery again... revisions seem to be more complicated and my life really is good... with the exception of my weight. I got to thinking... I would guess my pouch is stretched...can I retrain my pouch? So much has changed with wls... can I go back to a post op eating plan? Does anyone have any advice on where I can find info? I tried traditional dieting and it has failed. Suggestions? Anyone been here? Resources? I would appreciate any direction you can point me to, perhaps I can somehow learn to use the tool that I have... despite it being an out of date model
j. lynn
on 8/21/05 1:05 pm - NE
Looks like your BMI is high enough to have a revision surgery. yes, your pouch is stretched out -- probably not to what it was before, but still bigger. Some people get the RNY re-done, some go the lapband or DS. jayme
dawn1234
on 8/23/05 12:59 am
Hi, I had a VBG and lost almost 130 pds. But regained almost all the weight back in the last 4 years. This year I decided to face issues that were effecting my health due to the VBG(vomitting at almost every meal sometimes several times). When I started exploring this option I had other WLS sisters and bro's tell me that I needed to start to apply the pouch rules.....even though my pouch was stretched and add back more protein to my diet. I did that and lost 13 pds in 6 weeks. I also had no aftercare from my first surgery.......so if you do decide to do a revision remember to look for a program that has aftercare and find a good support group(either online or in your community). I am glad that I did do the revision even with all the major complications I had to endure it sure improved the quality of my life! I believe somewhere on obesityhelp.com there is a link to the pouch rules.....and some even have it posted in their profiles. Wish you nothing but the best.... Hugs, Dawn
shellyincali
on 8/26/05 2:39 am - surprise, AZ
Hi Liz, I am having the VSG done which is just the stomach removed like you have but I was wondering how your quality of life has been with it. Do you get sick alot or not feel well do you throw up after meals? They now call it the VSG but it's basically the same surgery that you had years ago. Maybe just revised and more up to date. Any heads up for me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Shelly
lizarizona
on 8/26/05 1:42 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Shelly, I certainly don't want to tell you to not have this surgery...but I would tell you to do youre research carefully, look at all types and look at the long term results. The long term results for people who had my surgery are poor... a very high percentage of weight gain and many never reaching thier goal. I am lucky in that if I get sick... it is not very often. Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics