VBG 2 RNY Revision Approved

Lynne A
on 8/24/05 5:02 pm - Covington, WA
Hi! Today I found out that my revision surgery has been approved. I am hoping for a November date. I have heard of increased complications with a VBG to RNY revisions.... and what scares me is I check out the profiles of people who have had revisions and I don't see much postop "history" .... and wonder if this means they had complications or worse? I do check the revision message board often.... but still remain anxious because it seems most of those revisions are to already done RNY's. I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has had successful VBG to RNY revision... help, I need encouragement!
Susan M.
on 8/24/05 11:15 pm - Rockford, IL
Hello my friend, I was excited to see your post as I made several myself - just like yours. I had two VBG about 23 years ago. They were six months apart because neither of them worked! You know what it is like to go through that surgery twice with NO results!!. I never thought of having surgery again until two coworkers had such wonderful results with RNY. I have a local Barix Clinic and the doc was highly respected and had done hundreds of conversions like ours. I looked into his record (very important) and his experience with revision/conversion. I had my conversion two weeks ago at the age of 56. I also had other problems with my stomach so if anyone would have comps it should have been me. My surgery was uncomplicated and only lasted an hour and a half. I was home in five days and able to do everything for myself in six days. Before two weeks I had already been to a wedding shower and today except for some soreness at the sight of my incision I am basically pain free. I have not experienced dumping or the nausea associated with VBG. I think I made a great decision and with a good doctor you have nothing to worry about. I found nothing really positive here on the revision message board about revision so I too was scared but I have nothing but GREAT Things to say. Email me if I can answer any questions for you. I am only two weeks out so don't have a lot of weight loss to report but did loose 22 lbs in the first two weeks primarily, I think was the fluid gained in the hospital. SOOOO go for it girl. You won't regret it but you might if you don't do it!! Be sure to let me know how I can help. Fondly, Susan Milner
dawn1234
on 8/25/05 11:22 am
Hi Lynne, I too am a fellow VBGer to RNY. I am probably one of the exceptions to your observation on not having postop history on my profile. I was one of the unforunate ones that did develop MAJOR COMPLICATIONS after surgery. Although I did have all the complications and nearly died I am GLAD that I went through the surgery. It has allowed me to regain control of my diet....instead of eating soft slider type foods now I am able to eat meats, vegetables and drink water without worrying about running for the restroom because it got "stuck". I also have lots of energy and am able to handle a full day of activity again without being totally wiped out! I wish you the best....and an uneventful revision! God Bless, Dawn
smlacquement
on 8/25/05 1:03 pm - Arlington, TX
Hi Lynn, I to am going to have a revision done on Sept 19, I am curious if you don't mind my asking. What were your complications? I know that complications are a higher risk and was just wondering if it was from your previous surgery or related to this surgery. Hope to hear from you soon and thanks for sharing. Marlene
smlacquement
on 8/25/05 1:08 pm - Arlington, TX
Hi Lynn, I to am having a revision done from vbg on Sept. 19th. My vbg was done 5yrs ago. I'm a little nervous because you said the risk of complications are just a tad higher. (my doctor told me it goes from 1% to 5%) However the other day I was reading online and someone wrote "God doesn't take you somewhere and not help you through it" Keep that in mind on those days you get a little nervous, I know it helps me. I hope you get your date soon and let me know how things are going. Talk to you soon. Marlene
dawn1234
on 8/26/05 1:40 pm
Thanks Marlene......this is so true. I thought for sure that god had abadoned me when I was sooo sick and in the hospital with complications. But my family members said to remember the footprints in the sand poem.......when you only see one set of foot prints it is then when God is carrying through.
smlacquement
on 8/26/05 1:55 pm - Arlington, TX
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics