Update on previous post

Jenny O.
on 9/16/05 8:23 am - Peoria, IL
Well Dr. Rossi won't do the revision, he says "it's too much" and "there are too many side effects." I know the risk of everything including dying is increased with a revision, but why have thousands of other people had revisions and done perfectly with them, INCLUDING ones done by surgeons from Peoria Surgical Group? Melinda, the bariatric nurse, told me they've done tons of revisions with a good success rate. He was a real jerk today, very cross, and I felt about as big as the tip of a pencil. I have a headache from crying so much. He scheduled me for an EGD in two weeks and said depending on the size of the fistula he can inject it with something called fibrin glue and fill it up. First of all, I don't want any kind of glue in me, it sounds like it's poison and I might be allergic to it, and second, that still wouldn't fix my enlarged pouch. The whole time he kept talking about my "habits" and "portion sizes," insinuating like he did in February that this is all my fault. If it was behavioral, then a) how did I lose 60 pounds after I had the surgery, and b) how have I kept 46 of it off despite an enlarged pouch and a gastrogastric fistula? And what about all the kidney stones I've had since January that indicate the high levels of protein I've still been eating? Don't those give clues? I'm so depressed I can't describe it.
ChrisW
on 9/18/05 3:13 am - Crystal Lake, IL
Jenny, Please consider seeing Dr. James Madura at Rush-Presbyterian-St Luke's Medical Center. (312) 942-6511. I had a revision from and old VBG to the RNY. Granted, a different situation from yours, but a revision none the less. He is an excellent surgeon, very personable. Not your typical snotty, holier than thou attitude that many surgeons have! Best of luck to you. Chris 247/182/140ish
ahollar
on 11/4/05 3:42 am - Rockford, IL
Hi Chris. Does Dr. Madura have any specifications set for a revision?? I am 19 mos out. I went from 330 to 220 and have gained back up to 230 lbs. I got pregnant right after surger and my biggest fear is that a surgeon will refuse to revise me or look down on me because of it. My surgeon refuses to even talk about it. Says too many risks. Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated. Angela
ChrisW
on 11/4/05 10:14 am - Crystal Lake, IL
Hi Angela: I'm not sure about Dr. M's specifications. He does do revisions of Rny. As for looking down on you because you had a baby shortly after your surgery, I doubt it. He is not a judgemental kind of guy. My opinion only of course! If I recall correctly, I did have to bring him the results of an EGD and an upper gi series that I had done. He does require a visit with a dietitian, a specific one at Rush. A psych evaluation and a sleep study. I see you live quite a distance from the city. I do too. Dr. M was fine with the upper gi, EGD, psych eval and sleep study being done closer to my home. Anyway, congrats on your excellent weight loss!!!! And your baby as well. You should be so proud of yourself for the results you have worked for! Best of luck to you! Chris 247/166/140ish
Cassandra K
on 9/18/05 4:47 am - Reno, NV
Jenny, I went through a similar situation when my first wls failed. I decided to see other surgeons and I found that they had different opinions from my first surgeon. I felt so much better!. When you think about it, it really makes no sense since they've already found a mechanical reason for your surgery's failure. If you could diet and do this on your own you wouldn't have ever needed surgery in the first place so thinking you can do this with a broken tool doesn't make a lot of sense either imho. You just need to find a surgeon now that's experienced in revisions and in a method that makes you more comfortable. Try the University of Chicago. I think it was Lana that posted she had good results there? Maybe she'll speak up. They accept your insurance and you may feel better about whole situation under the care of another surgeon with other revsion methods. I know it made the world of difference for me and my revision. Once I had my stomach fixed into the proper banana shape of the DS I had all the benefits I was missing before such as reduced hunger and eating smaller portions etc without feeling hungry all the time. Good Luck and don't feel to bad about this. There are always more options, Just go find one that fits for you.
Cassandra K
on 9/18/05 4:52 am - Reno, NV
ps. Another thing ..do you know about fitday.com? it's a good place to record your eating every day. I also kept track on a weekly sheet that I took to the surgeons. It does help to show that you're making attempts to eat correctly etc. I've just found it so much easier in my case with a much smaller tummy or fixed wls.
hessie28
on 10/9/05 11:15 am
I know how you feel. I'm having the revision Tuesday. When I met with the surgeon for the pre-op visit, I felt like he was saying it was my fault. I don't think he even read my file. I had it stretched several times after having the surgery. I had lost 165 pounds. I was told that the staples don't work and now he does sutures. So I don't feel like it was my fault. Yes I am eating bad stuff now after the damage was done. I will be back on track. Good luck with everything.
Most Active
Recent Topics