Anyone had band removed and then had the Gastric Bypass

mac1266
on 10/4/05 3:49 am - Durham, NC
I had the lap band surgery and was not very successful with weight loss - the weight I did loose I've gained it all back. I'm considering having my band removed and getting the gastric bypass. Wanted to hear from folks who have done this. Marilyn
Zee Starrlite
on 10/4/05 2:16 pm
Hi Marilyn! I think a conversion from the LB to RNY is not uncommon. What was you experience with the Band? Have you also looked into the DS? Best, Starr
Elizabeth L.
on 10/6/05 6:11 am - Canton, MS
Hey Marilyn, I had the Non-adjustable Band in 1996 and currently have regained 50 pounds back in the last 5 years. (Not bad if you think it is just 10# per year) Anyway, I am in the process of getting approval for a RNY Revision. Haven't heard anything from my insurance company. Now on a different note: Have you called your nurse at your Gastric Clinic. If you band is still in place and functioning, you can get back on the band wagon of weight loss by conforming to the original rules of the band. TIME is what kills us. We still have the same horrible eating habits that we did before the surgery and over TIME we learn to manipulate the band. I am in your boat and stressing out terribly about the weight gain. I will keep you informed of my progress in the approval arena. Elizabeth "BETH" Lawrence
Kathyrip
on 10/8/05 12:07 am - Stafford, VA
Marilyn, I had my lapband revised to a DS last year. I not only was gaining back a lot of weight, but I was still throwing up with the band. I could NOT eat healthy things, but chips & cookies & ice cream went straight through the band. I did not want to eat those things, I wanted a nice big salad, but I would throw up salad & chicken & bread and things like that got stuck in the band. No matter what level of restriction I had. The only time I wasn't throwing up was when I had no fluid in the band at all, and of course then I wouldn't loose weight. Kathy R. 487/413/273.5 HW/SW/CW
mac1266
on 10/8/05 2:38 am - Durham, NC
Kathy, Thanks so much for your reply - this really sounds like me. Also, when I had the fluid taken out I gained 10 lbs in 1 month which is a lot for me because I'm short. I've been concerned that if I get the RNY I won't lose too much because I already had the band and I wasn't able to be successful on the band. Congratulations on your weight loss with the ds! Marilyn
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/9/05 6:45 am - Tuvalu
Me, too. Band out, and the DS. After the first year, the RnY is merely another restrictive surgery...like the band. For me, my having RnY now would be like making the same mistake twice. Sue
SUSAN P.
on 10/10/05 2:48 am - WAUKEGAN, IL
Hi Marilyn. I had a VBG about 3 years ago and am also having a revision. I didn't gain the weight back but have been very sick with throwing up and severe stomach pains. I am having a RNY too. I really don't want to have anything redone just this taken out. I can't find anyone who has had it removed and nothing put back in. I am scared to death to do this. My new doc says this is go to be a hrad surgery because they remove that part of your stomach where the band is. Not my idea of fun. Keep me posted on how you do and if I get mine first I will post on here and let you know. Good Luck!
WendyBubbles
on 10/11/05 9:50 am - Ft Mohave, AZ
I had a lap band put in April 2004, and it has been a nightmare experience, completely down to the Dr. who never wanted to give me a fill, then when he did he filled it to the max so nothing would go through. I have the same appetite and can eat the same amount. He explained that all the band does is funnel it throught to the larger portion of the stomach. The hope is getting to the point where you feel full and the food passes slowly. Has never happend for me. It sticks and I vomit, and it does it when I least would expect it to happen. It doesn't matter how much I chew when it decides it is not going through it is not going through. I am searching for another physician as I do not want a repeat performance that I had with the Dr who put the band in. What I have found is many don't want to touch you if they didn't put the band in. I also have concerns as what the Dr explained to me is that your own tissue starts to grow around the band, the longer it is in the more it is accepted into your body. Yet they make you wait 1.5 to 2 years. Removal is hard and the chance for nicks to happen are much more easy. If that happens and you start draining gastric acids into the abdominal cavity it can be deadly. I know people who have had revisions of the VGB, but not the lap band removed. I also would like as much information as possible and jhope you didn't mind me adding mine to your posting bring it to the top hopefully that maybe some will explain this more to us.
LUSCIOUS
on 11/11/05 6:00 am - ELIZABETH, NJ
WENDY, WHO WAS YOUR DR. BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE MINE. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM MY DR. DON'T DO THE BAND ANYMORE. I HAD IT DONE MAY 22.2004 AND ONLY LOSE 20LBS AND GAIN ALL AND MORE BACK. I SEARCH SO MUCH FOR A DR. TO HELP ME AND I GOOD ONE. AND THANK GOD I DID. HE IS WILLING TO HELP ME AND I THINK THAT HE IS THE BEST HE EXPLAINS EVERYTHING TO YOU. THINGS THAT I DIN'T KNOW ABOUT THE BAND THAT MY OTHERE DR. NEVER TOLD ME. LOOK AT MY PROFILE SEE IF U CAN SEE THE DR. THAT I HAVE. I GOT MY DATE FOR DEC 5 2005 TO TAKE THIS BAND OUT AND SAME DAY SURGERY. I TILL WAITING IN APPROVE FROM INS. BUT I KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING THREW RIGHT NOW. I CRYED FOR MONTHS THINKING I WAS SUCK WITH SOMETHING THAT WILL NOT HELP AT ALL BUT MAKE ME THROW UP ALL THE TIME. BUT GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOU FIND A DR. AND PLEASE LOOK IINTO IT REAL GOOD. PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES. MELISSA
Dawn N.
on 10/25/05 9:49 pm - Grand Prairie, Tx
I had VBG in 96 and have hd so many trouble since then UGH - Having open GB on 11-7-05 - will keep you updated! Started in 96 @ 350+ dropped to 220 and now up to 270.
Most Active
Recent Topics