Anyone here been revised from a stapling to a DS??

Patty_D.
on 10/19/05 10:26 am - Kershaw, SC
If so, did they reduce the size of your stomach?? If you, like I'm facing, did NOT have the stomach reduced, do you still loose weight? A lot? A little? None? I really am hoping to find someone who can help me out. Thanks Patty
Bonnie M
on 10/23/05 2:16 am - Sioux Falls, SD
nope-RNY
G_bobo
on 10/25/05 11:08 pm - Huizingen, Belgium
Surgeon proposed to switch to RNY since most of the staples were lose He said that after vertical stapling (Mason gastroplacy) that's the only option, is RNY
losinit
on 10/27/05 5:33 pm - Oakwood, TX
SOME SURGEONS RECOMMEND DOING A RNY RATHER THAN DECREASING THE OLD vbg. tHE OLD vBg WAS PRETTY MUCH A FAILURE WHERE AS THE rny HAS NOT BEEN THIS IS WHAT I HAD DONE 9-19
losinit
on 11/22/05 2:15 am - Oakwood, TX
I had the RNY as well. My surgeon does not recommend the DS. I think I would check it out real carefully as the more you operate the more complications you may get. Please consider the RNY
Patty_D.
on 11/22/05 6:51 am - Kershaw, SC
I checked into the RNY but 4 very good surgeons told me it was impossible to do the RNY because of damage to an artery to the stomach caused by the first row of staples. I have been searching and researching since 2001. I had given up all hope till my PCP told me about the DS and I had already heard about Dr. Husted, so I called and made an appointment with him. He CAN & WILL do a partial DS. I will receive the "switch" part of the DS and only IF he can, SAFELY, will he reduce the stomach some. Because of my family history with diabeties, my PCP had recomended the DS because it is currently used in Europe to CURE diabeties. I have done MUCH research on the DS and it is AS SAFE as the RNY. There are a few differences in which vitimans are needed between the two, but it is not much different from the (is it disital,...the short limbed one??)RNY where the switch is concerened! There is a BIG difference in the fact that my Plyorus will remain in tack and it CAN be fully reversed if ever needed, I do not believe the RNY is FULLY reversable. If you researched the DS as much as I have researched ALL of the different type of surgeries, you would know it is just as safe and more effective 3 tp 5 years out than the RNY. I think we all must make our own decisions and I think it is all right to have EITHER of the 2 major WLSs. The DS is being done more and more and in MHO it will surpass the RNY as the "gold standard" and then something even newer will come along and bump them both outa the water. So enjoy your RNY, my surgery of choice is the DS!! Patty
MsBatt
on 11/22/05 2:14 pm
I'm guessing that your 'stomach stapling' was the old VBG? Did it come un-stapled, or what? If it DIDN'T, then no, I can't imagine them reducing your stomach size further, just adding on the malabsorption component. Congradulations on choosing the DS, and Dr. Husted!
Patty_D.
on 11/22/05 4:26 pm - Kershaw, SC
The original 1982 stapling was a "gastroplasty" and the 1989 stapling was the VGB. In the 1982 one the staples go sideways and in the 1989 one the staples go up and down. Yes they are considered a failure: leakage, some missing staples, band from VGB deteriorated and caused blockage in plyorus which had to be removed surgically. Was told the sideways surgery, the gatroplasty, was known to have caused more than a few problems with a nearby artery to the stomach which could cause a compromised blood supply to the stomach. It is suspected that I have that damage, but Dr. H said he would have to get in and look at the stomach carefully and if it was damaged he would NOT make stomach smaller, but if stomach was healthy enough he would take out some of the excess(my stomach is oversized!). Patty
Most Active
Recent Topics