Lap band over an old bypass?

Susan I.
on 11/6/05 7:44 am - baltimore, MD
RNY on 04/23/94
I had bypass 11 yrs ago and have gained back almost half of my weight. I read some bad things about the band here though - not being able to eat regularly, resorting to junk food since it goes down easier.... please share the good, the bad, the ugly with me - I am really concerned about goin through a 2nd surgery. I do not want to become more malabsorptive- just want more restriction. Has anyone had or know anyone who had the band done after an old bypass? Thanks!
losinit
on 11/10/05 8:43 am - Oakwood, TX
I had the old VBG 20yrs ago and regained. My surgeon does not offer lap band for priors. He says they fail too often and the disruption of the anatomy already present leads to too many complications. He did a rny on me. True to his opinion, the scar tissue that had formed requires that he devise a slightly different approach. he dumped some of the old stomach in the path pan because it had very little healthy tissue left. It is harder the 2nd time around, but I know what to expect and in 6 weeks have lost 47#. Blessings to you, Deb
Sharon C.
on 11/20/05 2:07 am - Tucumcari, NM
Hi Susan. I had the intestinal bypass in 1973. I lost 150lbs and kept it off for about 10 years. I started gaining the wt back so I had the intestines reattached and had the gastroplasty with the silastic band in 1991. I lost about 50 lbs and vomited for the next 10 yrs. I never learned how to eat right. I din't know about support groups etc. I had to have my gallbladder out in 2001 so I asked the surgeon to remove my band. He did, and once again I was able to eat without throwing up. I forgot to mention that I had to go about 4 times and have emergency EGD done to unstick food that was lodged in my band. Well, here it is 2005 almost 2006 and I have gained back to 260 lbs. I decided at 54yrs of age if I continue gaining I will die an early death, so I started researching a year ago. I was considering the RNY when I went to my surgeon last week. He said under the cir****tances, he would prefer doing the BPD/DS (Duodenal Switch). I didn't really know anything about this surgery so I started checking it out. It looks like it is probably the best one out there for me. Check out the profile of Carolyn M. (M1052966794). She is my inspiration. Good luck on your decision. Sharon
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/23/05 11:05 am - Tuvalu
Walter Lindstrom, the WLS attorney, has a band over a bypass. Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics