Recent Posts

ladygodiva1228
on 9/19/18 8:33 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
Topic: RE: "Tricks" to meet BMI

If you are going in for a revision due to issues with your band then the BMI requirement usually isn't necessary. What does your insurance policy say about revisions?

I know mine said if there is something mechanically wrong or there was a medical reason for the revision that would be good enough. No mention of having to have a BMI over 40.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

whithark
on 9/19/18 7:37 am - Bristol, RI
Topic: "Tricks" to meet BMI

Let me preface by saying, I know how to gain weight, ha ha. Don't we all! So please no comments about it being a ridiculous question since I'm on this site (I saw another poster get ridiculed for a similar question). I have an appointment in a couple weeks to discuss revision. My BMI is below 40, but not by much. I am running a race the weekend after the appointment, so I don't want to stuff my face between now and then to weigh more.

Drink lots of water before the appointment? Super salty food a couple days leading up to the appointment? Quarters in my pockets? Any other tricks of the trade? I have no co-morbidities so I'd really like to be at 40 for my initial appointment. :)

Jaime 

Thickemz27
on 9/19/18 6:17 am
Revision on 09/13/18
Topic: RE: Surgery Tomorrow Revision

fingers crossed for you and your journey as well . tomorrow makes a week since surgery and the day before surgery i weighed 249 and this morning i weighed myself and im 241 and extremely happy with the revision thus far my first f/u suregery will be this Saturday.

Zaniiaim
on 9/19/18 2:50 am - CA
Topic: ?Wording? for insurance

first off I'm a nurse and deal with insurance companies. Sometimes just one explanation from patient or doctor, like reflux or pain, will get revision passed. I meet with surgeon Friday and want to go RNY to DS, my plan covers surgery but unsure about revision. Anyone had this issue and what did you say to get Insurance to pass it?

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

misstee
on 9/18/18 7:16 pm - Detroit, MI
Topic: RE: Surgery Tomorrow Revision

Hello there!

I had my original surgery in July 2008. My highest weight was 315 and my lowest was 218. Now I'm back up to 280. I'm in the process of changing my eating habits and have been exercising for the past 8 months to get the weight down. I have also been talking with my Dr. and looking into having a revision too.

I pray everything went well with your surgery and continues with your recovery. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Colvin5
on 9/18/18 2:32 pm
Topic: Band erosion and slippage

Hi

I had the lap band in 2007 and have had lots of problems in the last year Vomiting almost each tim I ear excessive acid reflux and regain of 80#s in just 6 months. I had an EGD and a barium swallow today and my band has slipped and is severely eroded. They also said that the slippage of the band caused a pouch which was filled with solid foods for awhile they said that the food was fermented ?I go to see a Bariatric surgeon in the morning to get a date for removal of the band. I hope he can perform the gastric bypass at the same time. Anyone with any of these symptoms please seek medical attention right away unlike myself

see ya lighter

Danna

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/17/18 2:54 pm
Topic: RE: Dr approved me for Distal Bypass

you sleep during surgery so it does not matter to you if it is 1 or 4 hours.

But .. the surgeon gets paid the same. The hospital would get pay more for OR usage.

To me it sounds as he is not very good doing DS and probably any DS he did - have problems now.

I would run away from a doc like that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

KristinaW917
on 9/17/18 12:27 pm
Revision on 10/01/18
Topic: RE: Revision after gastric - how common is it?

Hi MSTieMom, just curious....did your surgeon give you a reason why he/she recommended the DS instead of gastric bypass?

I'm in the same boat as you....sleeve in 2013, lost 140, gained 35. I saw a new WLS doc *****commended a revision to bypass. I've been approved with insurance, so now just nervous to pull the trigger and confirm the surgery. I keep hearing horror stories from people about complications, and scared to make a decision I regret.

KristinaW917
on 9/17/18 12:18 pm
Revision on 10/01/18
Topic: RE: Revision at Normal BMI

Hi Mahonia,

I was just approved with insurance for revision due to GERD/hernia. I had no doubts the first time around about having the sleeve (well, ok, maybe a little nervous but all was fine) but this time around, I'm really scared. I've heard so many horror stories from people after the revision. I really don't know if I should go forward with it?? Hence, why I got on the forums to hear from others.

There were patients in the waiting room of the doctor's office, talking about all sorts of complications and additional surgeries they had after a revision. I asked the doctor but he said those were rare.

Anybody in the Dallas, TX area?

KristinaW917
on 9/17/18 12:14 pm
Revision on 10/01/18
Topic: RE: Revision tomorrow- want buddies and stories

Hi ladies, wow, thanks for sharing! I had a gastric sleeve about 5 years ago and have been approved to have a revision to bypass. I'm scared though, because like, what some of you are saying, there were folks in the waiting room of the doctor's office, talking about all sorts of complications and additional surgeries. I asked the doctor but he said those were rare. When you say, you question what you did to yourself, that scares the *bleep* out of me!

You didn't have any of the nausea or pain with the sleeve, but only now w/the revision? What does your doctor say about that pain and nausea?

Anybody in the Dallas, TX area?

Most Active
Surgery Tomorrow Revision
Thickemz27 · 4 replies · 172 views
Revision at Normal BMI
Mahonia R. · 3 replies · 166 views
"Tricks" to meet BMI
whithark · 1 replies · 9 views
Band erosion and slippage
Colvin5 · 0 replies · 20 views
?Wording? for insurance
Zaniiaim · 0 replies · 15 views