babettes_feast’s Posts

babettes_feast
on 4/5/19 3:47 pm
Topic: RE: Im back after 10 years...looking at revision with some questions....

Hi Michele - Your story could be mine. I had a VSG 9 years ago and did great for a few years before both of my parents died, I was diagnosed with MS, I had to have a total knee replacement, and stopped being mindful about my eating.

I saw my surgeon a year ago, prior to the knee replacement, got an insurance denial and just put everything on the back burner until I had my knee replacement. I feel as though I have to have a DS/revision and lose weight before having my other knee replaced. The recovery has been horrible, much longer than it should have been and I know a lot of this is due to being so heavy. I was serious about my rehab. I feel I did all I could

So, I'm seeing my surgeon next week and am hoping we can approach the need for another surgery based on orthopedics. I'm very concerned about not having a good outcome from another knee replacement surgery at this weight.

Thoughts anyone?

babettes_feast
on 3/9/18 2:45 pm
Topic: RE: X Post - Just Denied Revision

I just received a call from my surgeon's office stating that my surgery is denied because BC/BS does not approve "two stage procedures." My VSG was my one shot. The insurance handler at the office wants me to give my surgeon permission to appeal on my behalf but says it "doesn't look good" based on their reasoning.

I'm just devastated.

babettes_feast
on 3/6/18 10:51 am
Topic: RE: Gastric Bypass to a Duodenal Switch

I completely understand your panic, especially as regards your children. Maternal instinct trumps everything! That said, you have plenty of time to do what you need to to make moving forward comfortable for you. You have time to draw up a simple will that names guardians for the children. I know that might sound scary but it's a total relief once it's done Remember: whether you have complications in surgery or not, everyone of us lives with the uncertainty about our own death every day. You could get hit by a truck, etc....

Onto having the surgery. I don't know your numbers but I'm assuming you want to get healthy. That's the best gift you can give your children and I yourself. I stress yourself because as mothers we are *always* putting others first often at our own expense.

Maybe instead of thinking about 2-3 weeks from now you should envision where you want to be in 1 year, 5 years, etc., and what you need to do to get there. Maybe the best thing you can do for your children is to have the surgery.

babettes_feast
on 3/4/18 5:50 am
Topic: RE: Revise from sleeve only to RNY or Loop DS?

Wow, how great to have a scientist on these boards! Thank you for the terrific post.

I trust my surgeon 99% and she's recommending the loop ds. I've read about some specific complications (found, I believe with "regular DS" subjects) that would be unacceptable to me if not treatable, e.g., frequent nausea, body odor, frequent, soft smelly poos and flatulance. Also, she's done hundreds of RNYs and has only been doing the loop for several years. She has her reasons re: why the SIPS/loop is superior to the "regular" ds and I believe her.

babettes_feast
on 3/3/18 4:11 pm
Topic: RE: Revise from sleeve only to RNY or Loop DS?

For those of you who are revising to one or the other or have done so, what is/was your reasoning? I'm set up for a Loop DS (NO COMMENTS ABOUT "REAL"DSs PLEASE!) but find myself wondering if I should revise to a RNY. Thoughts/experiences? Thanks!

babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 7:40 am
Topic: RE: Revision 7 years after sleeve; can anyone relate

I think it's actually good that you're concerned about regain. I was so, so overconfident. I really believed that it would be impossible to over-eat with such a tiny sleeve. If I had it to do over I would've headed directly back to my surgeon after gaining the first 10 lbs, would've joined WW, would've seen the dietician in my surgeon's practice. But the more I gained the more embarrassed I became. I'm headed back to see her trying not to be TOO hard on myself, but really humbled. I'm going to ask her what my options are...

babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 7:37 am
babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 7:34 am

It sounds like you're going to revise to a RNY, is that correct? I eat around my sleeve, too. I went into it absolutely positive I would not regain! But, like you, once the initial big loss was accomplished I started thinking "oh a little ice cream won't make a difference..." ETC! Then I had a s***storm of life events and comforted myself with food. I feel I have more insight into why I overate now and can therefore stay stronger this time. I just hope I get some kind of revision approved! Thanks for your thoughtful response.

babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 12:28 am

To those of you who have had a revision: Who had a DS and who had a different kind of revision?

Many thanks!

babettes_feast
on 9/12/17 2:29 pm

I've gained all weight back after initial success with a VSG. I'm heartbroken and want to fix this so I'm asking for feedback re: your experiences with revisions. Many thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics