Anyone looking for adventure?

koogy
on 9/3/06 12:08 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I am really thinking about going back and working in Barrow, Alaska. There is a 20 bed hospital there, and I would love to job share with someone. What that means is that we would alternate working 4 months at a time, share an apartment (part of hospital housing). I worked sometimes 50 - 70 hours a week - if you could call it work! My skills were pretty rusty from sitting at a desk. The Inupiat are quite interesting to watch and learn from. As far as the staff, it's like working with family members. We had a man that came in in severe hypothermia. Our little cleaning lady stopped what she was doing and litterally ran down the hall to put clean blankets in the dryer and get them warm, as we used eveything in the warmer. I was there three weeks when I finally found out you call central supply (right around the corner from the nurses station) and not maintanance when you needed as oxygen tank replaced. I would call the wrong department and they would bring it, anyhow! Did I mention Barrow is north of the artic circle? It's very cold in the winter, and I did get to walk on the Arctic Ocean.And the winter is dark. That didn't bother me becasue I usually went to work in the dark, and came home in the dark. The money is good, too. Feel free to send an email to me or respond here! Thanks, Sue
trappedagain A.
on 9/7/06 4:16 am - Chrisney, IN
I wish I was an adventureous type I would take you up on it.
Caryl Mauk
on 9/12/06 12:05 pm - Manor, TX
RNY on 06/26/06 with
I can't do that now, but it sounds interesting. Is that an Indian Health Service hospital?
koogy
on 9/13/06 6:06 am - Cincinnati, OH
When I worked up there, I was under Indian Health Services, so I was covered under my Ohio license. If I were to work up there full time, the hospital pays for the Alaska license and subsidizes housing. Here is a link with some interesting information. They just updated this site not too long ago. It was neat to look at the pictures and recognize some faces! http://www.arcticslope.org/ Sue
Cindy O.
on 9/24/06 8:28 am - Bryan, TX
Hi Sue, Wow, I just read your message about job sharing. I've never heard of such thing, but I would love to discuss it more. I've got 27 +yrs experience, Level I trauma, PICC certified, ER director; and now I work as a House Supervisor in a 250 bed hosp in Texas. My email is [email protected] if you'd like to contact me. Cindy in Texas
Most Active
Recent Topics