Change of RN role.....

Luvitsunny
on 1/26/08 6:44 am - Sunny South, FL
I've been a school RN now for almost a year. I'm not getting much skill experience. Last year, after passing the NCLEX I turned down a hospital staff position in the bariatric ward of a hospital for the school RN position. It as been good because the job has allowed time for me to continue for my BSN. The school position paid more and of course, I have summers off. However, I do feel that my forte is bariatric nursing.....what do you think? Should I go for it?
KimJ
on 3/29/08 5:36 am - Sacramento, CA
I am late here... but I would say to follow your heart!!! Is there any way you can work per diem doing bariatric nursing over the summer???
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 11:56 am - Charlotte, NC
If you don't follow your passion, it WILL destroy you.

Luckily, in nursing you can drop back 20 and pretty much change to another aspect of it at any time. Do what is good for you and your family. If the schedule you have at the school is better for kids, then do it for now. Bariatric nursing isn't going to die any time soon. You can stay on top of what is going on here or in a support group, or on your own.
Izzies_mom
on 10/29/08 11:20 am - AZ
I have to say...Hell yeah, go for it! When I graduated, I was going to take a job in Labor and Delivery, but I enjoyed the ICU so much that I took a job there and I'm glad I did. if I had stayed in L & D I would only know babies and vaginas. but by working in the ICU, I have learned so much and people respect me and my opnions when it comes to medicine. I just don't feel that I could have achieve that (for myself) if I didn't do what challenged me. If you feel that you should do the bariatric nursing, then you should. School nurisng is fun and rewarding working with those cute kids (I've even done that too) but you will learn so much more about healthcare and about the body if you work in a hospital, of course if that's what you want.

Most Active
Recent Topics