Mammogram after weight loss--changes in breast tissue?

Christina Z.
on 1/28/08 12:41 pm - Castro Valley, CA
Hi: I had a Mammogram last week and got a call this morning asking me to come back and have another one and an ultrasound on just my left breast.  The notes that the doctor's office read me said that I needed to have an additional mammogram because the density of the breast tissue had changed.  They tried to console me and tell me that they call people back several times a day.  The nurse said it had happened to her. I've lost about 65 pounds and my breasts have definitely deflated.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with what might be going on? I've got to wait 9 days to have the next mammogram.  I'm just worried that I'll go crazy before then. Thanks, Christina
Miss Redd
on 1/28/08 12:49 pm - Lancashire, United Kingdom
Hi! This is absolutely true. I was told last year-I was about 6 months out-about the changes in density. I had gone for my mammogram and the lady said "wow-you lost a bunch of weight??!! Do not freak out if we call you back-we do this alot when folks have lost a lot of weight-because of changes in density." For real-she said that!! Imagine how DIFFERENT our mammograms must look from a year ago!! Hang in there-betcha it's all about the changes. Hugs, Therese

Pre Surgery 383 Surgery 359 Current 180

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

Christina Z.
on 1/28/08 1:11 pm - Castro Valley, CA
Thanks.  That really helps.  It just worried me that it was just on the one breast though. My doctor is Dr. Estakhri.  (she works with your doctor--he actually assisted on my surgery)  Do you go to any of the support group meetings?   Christina
Miss Redd
on 1/28/08 1:15 pm - Lancashire, United Kingdom
Oh gosh!! I sure do go to the meetings! I didn't even notice you are from Castro Valley! I really have enjoyed the support meetings-maybe we can meet up at one-that would be cool! Your surgeon is fabulous too-I heard that both Dr. Lee and Dr. Estakri tag-teamed during my surgery! LOL! And the thing about one breast-I mean for me that wouldn't be shocking. Shoot-my breast have never even been the same size. So I know for a FACT my right one is more dense-I have seen the films before. So even if it's "just one"-betcha it's all good. I am going to add you to my buddy list-let's stay in touch. Take care, Therese

Pre Surgery 383 Surgery 359 Current 180

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

Christina Z.
on 1/28/08 1:57 pm - Castro Valley, CA
I've been to a couple of meetings.  I did go last week, but there were so many people there it was hard to talk to others.  Are you planning on going to the next meeting?  I'll try to, but a lot depends on when my husband gets home from work (He has to watch the kids.)  We should definitely keep in touch.   Christina
Lady Lithia
on 1/28/08 12:51 pm
The thing about Mammograms is that after the first one they use them like "before and after" pictures... they compare the last with the present picture, or even compare several consecutive pictures... this way they can see if there are any changes. Changes ARE normal, but drastic changes over a short period of time (like with WLS) will send up a red flag, without any REAL problem. Keep in mind also that the density of fat tissue in the breast masks NORMAL irregularities in your actual breast tissue (the non-fat part of the breasts).... when they see those irregularities on the FIRST mammo you have, they mark them to check out over time, but aren't alarmed... but when they see them suddenly pop up after years of not being there (because the fat is no longer there and no longer masking them) they are alarmed.  I spent three horrible months thinking I had breast cancer. In the end, after they did a botched lumpectomy, I ended up being cancer free. But during that time I spent a lot of time researching everything to do with breasts! :)  the chances are... it's nothing at all... just establishing a new baseline after they have a chance to look more closely.  Please keep us posted. I will be anxious to hear that it's NOTHING!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Rotten Ronni
on 1/28/08 8:35 pm - DFW, TX
I have to disagree with fat masking density. Fat on mammograms is dark and easy to see through. With weight loss you lose the fat. The dense breast tissue is harder to compress than fat. Without adequate compression, dense breast tissue "piles" up and makes it difficult to see through. When this happens, a spot compression with more compression is performed to concentrate on the area of concern. 9x out of 10 it turns out just to be overlapping, normal breast tissue. Ronni

Nancy6540
on 1/28/08 12:55 pm - Orlando, FL
Please don't worry!  I have had call backs for mammograms before and it is always nothing.  I will be getting my mammogram in Feb for the first time since losing weight and have already told my DH to be prepared for me to be called back for more reviews based on the changes the weight lose causes.  Thrust that ever thing is fine.  I will keep you in my prayers. Nanci

* JuneCleaver *
on 1/28/08 2:01 pm
I had the same thing happen to me - just on one breast. It freaked me out, but when they explained it was because of a change in density I relaxed about it knowing that the weight loss has definitely changed the density of my breasts (or what used to be breasts!)...

Lap RNY 6/7/07 (Consult -196 / Current - 111.2) 
LBL/BA 8/13/08  
Coccygectomy 3/09

Dawn K.
on 1/28/08 10:01 pm - Marlton, NJ
My doctor said to make sure that when I went in for my mammogram that they knew I had had an RNY and lost a lot of weight.  Taht way, they would know why there might be changes.
Dawn
Keep A Song In Your Heart!
Life Is A Song, Love Is The Music!
100lbscardSmall.jpg picture by bigdooba
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?