queenfairy · 76 replies · 2150 views
Down 201 lbs - before and after pic
Dcgirl · 53 replies · 1183 views
Eating & Drinking together
GodsChildII · 49 replies · 1094 views

Allergic to Steri Strips??

SexyontheInside
on 2/16/08 9:03 am - Surprise, AZ
Hey all hope your weekend has started off well. I have a question about my incisions and the steri strips they used. Did anyone else have severe irritation and itchiness after the steri strips were gone? I have red, raised streaks where the strips used to be and I want to know if anyone else has experienced the same effect from the strips. Please help, they are killing me!
FobiPouch on 03/28/07 with
They sometimes use this stickem stuff that makes the steri strips stay on longer. Cant remember what its called, but I know several people that had a reaction to it. They got blisters and stuff. Let your physician know they might be able to suggest something to calm down the irritation

Melissa

TammyLynne
on 2/16/08 9:53 am - Canada
RNY on 11/13/07 with

I am allergic to just about all strips and bandages out there.. The irritation that was around my incisions was worse then the incisions them selves.  They finally said to leave them off and not put anything on there. I still have scars from where the bandages and strips were.

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/08 11:11 am
I had a major reaction with large pus filled bumps. I had to take them off and drain the bumps (Nasty).
dannyell
on 2/16/08 12:11 pm - Louisville, KY
I had reaction as well. Streaks, blisters it sucks. I now have scars where they were. I would call the surgeon and see if you can pull them off and just use bandaids or gauze and tape. Sorry..
vitalady
on 2/16/08 1:43 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I was not allergic to the steri-strips, but the benzene (spray sticky) gave me huge blisters, so the strips were basically attached to the blisters, not to me.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Sueg
on 2/16/08 2:19 pm - Canada
I also found out that i have a reaction not to just steri strips but all the tape in the hospital as well.  When i had my breast reduction in 95 my whole chest broke out in big red blisters and it was not the best thing.  The when i went to have my tubes tide we found out that i had a reaction to all the rest of the hospital tape, cause i broke out as well.  Then when my tubaligation did not work and had my now 3 year old i had a epidural put in and i told them to tape taht sucker to my back good so that it would not come out.  Well let me tell you the epi worked but when the tape came out i had broken blisters all up my back.  NOT FUNNN!!!!!  All i can say is to try and avoid taht stuff unless you really NEED it. Take a easy for now.  

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/08 2:24 pm
Benzoin (the sticky stuff under the steri-strips) is really tough on some people.  If your staples are out, and your wounds well approximated and healed, soak the steristrips and benzoin off with warm compresses.  I put a little hydrocortisone cream on my excoriation, and it cleared up pretty quick.  If you have open skin or blisters, you may want to ask your surgeon what he'd like you to put on there (if anything).
Brenda B.
on 2/16/08 5:22 pm - Gaspé, Canada
When I had my hysterectomy I had the same problem.  My gynecologist prescribed me Flamasil cream.  It is an ointment that is used on burn and skin irritations post op.  You need a Rx for this....In Canada that is. I don't know for the US.  It worked wonders!!!!!

Brenda B, HW 328 PreSW 298 CW 156 Goal 165 
AT GOAL..................NORMAL BMI! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/08 5:24 pm - Canada
Hello there............i did have a problem with severe itch and irritation.......i took antihistimines for a week or so and it really helped.......i took a claratin every day hope this helps tracy
Colleen S.
on 2/16/08 7:07 pm - Claypool, Az
RNY on 01/22/08 with
Yes I'm allergic to all tape also. I didn't realize it until I was in the hospital! I itched for the first week after I got out of the hospital. I recently got a staph infection too..I'm not sure how that happened but, my stomach is itching again!
SexyontheInside
on 2/16/08 9:32 pm - Surprise, AZ

Thank you for all of your replies. I go to the DR. on tuesday and I'll have them looked at then. My doc did a wonderful job on the incisions they are really fine and thin, it doesn't even look like I had surgery. Anyhoo, thanks again :)

JstCallMeSunshine
on 2/16/08 10:18 pm

My steri-strips stayed on a 2 full weeks after my surgery, and I started getting the blisters a couple of days before my 2 week follow appt with the surgeon.  When I went in he removed them and  then we just used antibacterial soap on them and some antibiotic salve and they healed up with no problem.