Amusement Parks

Kim27sd
on 6/18/08 4:05 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
I have always loved going to amusement parks no matter what size I was. I have never been asked to get off of a ride but have come very close. Which all of you know the mind set of someone obese and getting on a ride only one thing goes through your mind, am I going to fit? Or you don't go on the ride at all, and make excuses to those you are with to not to get on the ride. Well this weekend I am going to be going to Valleyfair and even though I have lost 115 pounds with 82 pounds to go...I still have the obese girl mind set. I wonder if I am going to fit into the rides and if its a two seater if my friend will beable to fit with me? I hope and pray that I fit comfortably into the seats and not have everyone in line looking at me wondering if I am going to fit into the ride or have to step off, and instead I hope I have a wonderful time not worry about fitting into a ride, and come back with a wow moment to share with you all!

JennMC
on 6/19/08 12:54 am - Hillsborough, NJ
Hi, I just went to Six Flags in NJ last Friday. I had not been there in over 10 years.  I stopped going because I was getting too big for the rides.  I weigh 221 now and It was fine. I fit on everything, no problems.  Even though I knew I would fit, I still got a little nervous getting on some of the rides and kept looking at the people getting on in front of me to see if people my size fit! I hope you have a great time! Jenn

Kari J.
on 6/19/08 2:36 am - Ankeny, IA
I've always enjoyed going to amusement parks and especially riding roller coasters---until a few summers ago when I got on a ride and they couldn't get the seatbelt latched and asked me to get off.  I was so embarrassed that I haven't attempted another ride since.  That is one of the things I'm really looking forward to after surgery! And...that embarrassing ride was Steel Venom at Valley Fair. ~Kari
ThrottleUp
on 7/4/18 3:01 pm
VSG on 10/23/17

I remember that feeling. I had the exact same experience on that ride. Took the walk of shame as well. Someday that ride and I will make amends but you are so right, it messes with your head for a long time.

charleston-mom
on 6/19/08 3:53 am, edited 6/19/08 3:57 am
Please, please be aware that just because they let you ride if you are heavy, it may not be safe. Your center of gravity is different than what the rides are made for, especially if you carry a lot of weight in your bust or abdomen. This mother (in the article below) lost her life at Knotts Berry Farm. They let her ride and the restraints "seemed to fit." I would highly recommend really researching whether the ride you want to go on can handle your front girth whether they can get the harness on you or not. In this particular case, the family sued, despite her fitting in the harness that they should have posted weight restrictions for the ride to protect her and should have told her she shouldn't ride. After I heard about this, I never got on a ride again until I lost weight. There is so little oversight in the amusement park industry and ride operators are loath to tell people they can't ride because they can face discimination lawsuits and it's embarassing to have to do, so they often let people ride who shouldn't. The people taking the terrible risk often don't even know that they are; it's sure not something they are going to advertise. While I love rides too, this isn't the only time something like this has happened. I can't remember the link, but there was a mother thrown off a looping coaster in front of her daughter who was riding with her, under the exact same situation. She was just too heavy. Here's the article. Please be safe!

Obese Woman Dies on Amusement Ride

Perilous Plunge, 1st Ld BUENA PARK (CNS) - Knott's Berry Farm got the go-ahead late this afternoon to reopen its ``Perilous Plunge'' water ride, which has been closed since a 292-pound woman fell from it and to her death last Sept. 21. In a report released March 19, state investigators blamed inadequate safety restraints for the death of 40-year-old Lori Mason-Larez of Duarte. Investigators said Mason-Larez' weight was a contributing factor in the accident. The safety of our guests continues to be our top priority,'' said Jack Falfas, vice president and general manager of Knott's and Cedar Fair. ``.''CNS-05-31-2002 18:46

Another article:
Knott's and Intamin Sued Over Perilous Plunge
Perilous Plunge at Knott's Berry Farm remains closed as Lori Mason-Larez's family sues both Knott's and Intamin over her fall to death. A lawsuit filed Tuesday accused Knott's Berry Farm and ride manufacturer Intamin Co. of "negligence, strict liability for a defective product and negligent infliction of emotional distress". Three of the woman's five children and her niece witnessed the accident. Mason-Larez died Sept. 21 in a fatal fall while the water ride went down its 115 feet descent at speeds up to 50 mph. Each seat has two restraints, a seat belt and a lap bar. When the ride returned to the dock, park employees said both were securely in place. Some experts think that the woman's large size may have contributed to the fall. She weighed 300 pounds according to paramedics. Feldman also said, "there was absolutely no weight limitation at all" for Perilous Plunge claiming there should have been.
charleston-mom
on 6/19/08 4:07 am
I found the article that really details the problem. Please, please read this if you are considering amusement park rides and are morbidly obese. It may save your life. I don't mean to be a naysayer or try to rain on anyone's parade, I just want people to be informed and be safe.

Rider killed.
11-04-2001, 01:39 PM
They remember a blue sweater, dark against the night sky, falling in a blur past them as they plummeted 115 feet down the world's talles****er coaster. Riders on Knott's Berry Farm's Perilous Plunge didn't know what to make of the rush of clothing outside the boat. Some watched through partially closed eyes as water splashed their faces. It was unsettling. Confusing. Maybe someone's jacket had blown away. Maybe worse. Only moments before, the mood had been different. People laughed in nervous anticipation as the boat approached the plunge, designed to simulate a trip over Niagara Falls. Lori Sue Mason-Larez, 40, kidded good-naturedly with the people behind her, unaware that she, more than anyone on the boat, was in danger. Mason-Larez had struggled with her seat belt, needing help from Darlene, her 12-year-old daughter, to fasten the strap around her 58-inch waist. She settled her 292- pound frame into a water coaster designed for riders with an average weight of 175 pounds. No one told Mason-Larez that the belt and T-shaped lap bar might not restrain obese people. No one from the park checked to make sure her restraints were fastened properly, witnesses told police. As Boat No. 1 chugged up the 120-foot ramp, Mason-Larez was surrounded by her children: Darlene, Frankie and Marina. Her youngest boy, 9-year-old Marty John, waited below with her sister, Shirley Roman. It was 10:20 p.m., Sept. 21. The mother from Duarte, who baked mini cheesecakes for her church congregation, had left her cares on the ground. The Perilous Plunge climaxes with a 75-degree drop that for a half-second creates forces strong enough to pull unrestrained riders out of the boat. This is the part where riders usually begin to scream. And this night, as the boat began its descent, some had more reason than others. The safety commission says people get hurt on rides when restraints fail, when parks poorly maintain the rides, operate them incorrectly, or when patrons misbehave - standing up or reaching out of rides. But there are other troubling factors, the commission found. The accident data also show that obese riders and small children can slip from the restraints, especially on those extreme rides that abruptly change direction. And risks multiply when several of these "hazard patterns" occur at once. Lori Mason-Larez was looking for a little fun with her children, an escape from the seriousness that had become their lives. Much revolved around Lori's 39-year- old husband, Martin Larez, who needs a new liver so badly that he carries a pager to alert him if a donor is found. In recent months, Mason- Larez had tried hard to sandwich more family time between working as a book purchaser, caring for her husband, shuttling her kids to school and basketball practice, and singing in the Christian Outreach Ministry choir. The Knott's Berry Farm trip, sponsored by Target Stores for its employees, seemed a good diversion. She went as a guest of her sister, who works for Target. Also going were four of her five children, her sister and a niece. The group ate dinner at Mrs. Knott's famed Chicken House restaurant. Mason- Larez sat out while her children rode Montezooma's Revenge, a 60-mph roller coaster that twice turns patrons upside down. But she joined the kids on Jaguar, a tamer roller coaster. Then the family climbed the platform for Perilous Plunge, Knott's $9 million water coaster that opened a year ago. Signs on the platform warned that some patrons shouldn't ride: Those *****cently had surgery, who suffered from heart problems, or who had back or neck trouble. The signs said nothing about obese riders.

Amusement-park visitors want to be scared. Amusement-park designers want them safe. The two can co-exist. But there are other pressures: Time - how long will it take to get all the riders buckled in? Inclusion - not every rider will be able to fit into a jet-pilot style harness. And cost - fabric belts wear out as riders step on them. Intamin AG, the builder of the Perilous Plunge, has faced these competing pressures - and couldn't prevent deaths from happening. At least three people had fallen from Intamin's rides before Mason-Larez boarded the Perilous Plunge. At Paramount's Great America, in Santa Clara, Intamin built an extreme ride called Drop Zone, which has a 22-story plunge, making it one of the tallest and most intense free-fall rides in the world. To keep riders in the seat, Drop Zone included a U- shaped, over-the-shoulder harness. Intamin installed the ride in 1996 with the recommendation that the space between the bottom of the harness and the seat not be more than 5 inches when the restraint is closed. Two years later, Intamin sent out a bulletin effectively reducing the optimum space to 3 inches. Riders with a space of 4 or 5 inches could proceed at the operator's discretion. Anything more than 5 inches would be prohibited. Intamin sent out decals that would show ride attendants when a passenger was in the green, yellow or red zones. The decals were applied to the Drop Zone, but later taken off by the park because too many large passengers were complaining about being banned from the ride, according to Ardell Johnson, an attorney representing a 12- year-old boy who fell to his death from the ride. In a less-disastrous accident a few months earlier, in May 1999, Mike Dwaileebe, 40, flew out of the Intamin- built "Superman: Ride of Steel," shortly after the 78-mph coaster debuted at Six Flags Darien Lake in New York. A ride camera shows that Dwaileebe, who weighs more than 400 pounds, did not close the lap bar, according to Kernacs. Dwaileebe managed to hold himself in during the first 220-foot drop, but grew tired toward the end of the ride and was hurled to the ground. He suffered fractured ribs and a hernia. "He came out of that like a cork out of a champagne bottle," said Dwaileebe's attorney, Francis Letro. "I believe he should never have gotten on that ride," countered Kernacs. "His belly made it impossible to close the lap bar. He basically rode that ride without any protection." A lawsuit is pending.
Some experts say the industry is well aware of the dangers when a person of unusual size does not fit properly in the restraint. Over the past five years, at least nine big or small riders have slid out from under restraints designed to hold a 170-pound adult or a 90- pound child. Three were killed.

"Rides are typically built for the 95th percentile," said William Avery, an Orlando, Fla., ride-safety consultant. "That is the reason for height requirements on the rides. But if you have somebody who is too large, the harness won't close. Then they are supposed to be asked to leave, too. It's a sensitive subject. It puts (the park operator) in an awkward position. But you have to do it." In interviews, representatives of three major amusement-ride makers as well as three ride-safety consultants agreed that the size of a rider can affect the safety-restraint system. The danger, experts say, is that riders with oversize stomachs may not be able to lower a lap bar all the way, or may fasten a safety belt around their legs, leaving the bulk of their body above the restraint, at risk of being ejected.

Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, which now bills itself as "The Extreme Park," warns larger riders with signs posted near extreme rides. "Due to the restraining devices on this ride, certain large guests may not be able to ride," the signs say. "There has to be limits," said Andy Gallardo, a spokesman for Magic Mountain. "The restraints provided by the manufacturer need to operate properly. If for any reason they cannot be shut or fastened, you cannot ride the ride." Intamin's Kernacs says he warns park operators that "people of extreme dimensions" could be endangered. But he said some parks still board very large riders rather than risk offending them. "There are lobbies for overweight and oversize people, and they are quite influential," explained Kernacs. "I think there is a lot of sensitivity in this country about weight."

The Sacramento-based National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance agrees. He's right," said Frances White, a spokeswoman for the 5,000-member group. "People are very sensitive. Large people have been nattered about their weight all of their life, from family and friends to media." White said the parks should at least warn obese patrons "you ride this ride at your own peril." Manufacturers and theme parks should also provide restraints that fit all of their guests, not just the ones in good physical shape, she said. Kevin Norris, director of ride operations at Knott's, told an investigator that Intamin had warned the park not to seat heavier people in the last two rows of the six-row boats.

That's because riders in rows 5 and 6 experience a teeter-totter effect when the front of the car drops over the edge. Passengers in the back are thrown upward with more force than those in the front. It's not clear whether ride operators steered Mason- Larez to the fourth row because of that warning, or whether the seat she chose was just a coincidence. But investigators say there were no signs warning obese patrons. Falfas said the ride manual does include a warning about large people. But it simply states that if "a person doesn't fit in the seat," they shouldn't ride, Falfas said. The Perilous Plunge boats coast around the top of the ride, then drop over the edge and accelerate to more than 50 mph. A force twice that of gravity thrusts passengers upward in their seats, Knott's officials told investigators. Whatever the force, other patrons have felt they were going to be thrown out.

The ride terrified Sandra Amador, an overweight rider. "My stomach went over the (lap) bar and I came completely up out of my seat," said Amador, 33, of Fontana, who at 308 pounds is close to Mason-Larez's weight. "I just felt like I was totally going to fly out. I have never felt like I did on that ride."That feeling of weightlessness was all too real for Mason-Larez. She flew up and out of her seat in a fraction of a second, before anyone knew what was happening, and plunged down the ramp toward the water below. Darlene, sitting to her right, knew almost immediately her mother was gone. But she could only scream.

Shirley Roman, her sister, shielded the eyes of young Martin John as his mother repeatedly struck the ride's metal girdings, fracturing her skull and an arm and severing her leg. Other passengers began to realize what had happened as the boat pulled into the station, with an empty space where Mason-Larez had been sitting. The seat belt was still engaged on a vacant seat 13, coroner's investigators said, the lap bar halfway down, as if a large person still rode there.

Lori Sue Mason-Larez was declared dead an hour later at West Anaheim Medical Center, although it's more likely she died in the water at Knott's. State Division of Occupational Safety & Health investigators asked the coroner to measure Mason-Larez's battered frame.

Body shape, they believe, was probably the key factor in her death, although the investigation has not been completed. Knott's Falfas said he is reviewing all the safety restraints in the park. For now, the Perilous Plunge remains closed. Ride-safety tips on the Web More information on ride safety and protecting yourself and your children at amusement parks can be found on the Internet. Here is a sampling of Web sites:

http://www.learner.org - This site explains the physics of roller coasters and allows you to build your own virtual coaster. http://www.saferparks.org - Established by a mother whose son was injured at Disneyland, it contains safety data, tips for protecting children, and legislative updates on efforts to regulate amusement parks. http://themeparks.about.com - The site provides information on ride safety and how to enjoy your day at an amusement park.
Marli *\o/*
on 6/19/08 5:14 am - FL
I fit in all the rides at the Central Florida Fair a few months ago and I was around 225 - 230 pounds. But don't go on the ride that flys around and around in a circle, because I still squished my husband. It was horrible. Of course, anyone at any size would have squished the person sitting next to them. LOL!

jon always by you.
"Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another"
www.myspace.com/marlionsafari * www.flickr.com/marlibonjovi
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/marlinelson

charleston-mom
on 6/19/08 11:15 pm
I sure know what you mean! I didn't like those rides even when I was thin!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 771 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 373 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 501 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 128 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 276 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?