switching to centrum chewables

rlcolsten507
on 10/16/08 1:12 am - Broken Arrow, OK
I take the centrum silver chewables "orange" flavor, they are pretty good, I also take a separate iron chewable from Bariatric Advantage "passion fruit" flavor.  I'm not quite 4 months out and havn't had any labs yet, so I don't know where my levels are. 

Lost 20lbs before surgery...

foobear
on 10/16/08 2:17 am - Medford, MA
Well, I don't know what's "best", but I've been taking 2 Centrum Chewable vitamins a day for the past 11 months!   (Of course, that's along with all my other vits and minerals: calcium, iron, vit D and B12).

/Steve

Pam T.
on 10/16/08 2:57 am - Saginaw, MI
I use the Centrum Chewables.  TWO per day. 

We do not have a normal digestive system any longer so we must take double the RDA after gastric bypass.  Not only are we malabsorbing the supplements we take to some extent, we're also malaborbing the nutrients we'd normally get from food if we had a regular digestive tract. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

octoberangel73
on 10/16/08 5:53 am - Akron, OH
I take centrum Chewables. I'm another victim of the nuts saying that a childrens vitamin is enough. Flintstones are meant for tiny bodies that are in good health. Do as much research as you can on this, and be an advocate because we can't always rely on the "professionals".

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Launa N.
on 10/16/08 6:05 am - Fort Hood, TX
AMAZING how many people are still taking children's vitamins (flinstones in particular) given all the facts that have been posted on here about them in the last 2 weeks.

Since I'm almost out of NatureMade Liquid Gell multis, I just bought chewable centrum as well.  As others have said, the suggested dose for RNY patients is double the regular suggested adult dose.  I, personally, apply this to EVERY suppliment I'm taking now. 

BTW, centrum only has 18g Iron per pill.  So if you take 2 that's 32g.  The absolute lowest dose I have ever seen suggested for menstrating women is 30g daily.  Most of those who are serious about their vitamin intake are taking more.  I'm taking a total 77g of iron daily.

Beginning 265/surgery 255/goal 140/ low 122/ current 158!!!
Post RNY 12/6/07, Post Abdominiopasty/Hernia repair 3/4/09

hcptt885
on 10/16/08 7:17 am - roslyn, PA
I know alot of people talk aout flinstones but my kids take them if you look at the back of them they have  the same as the chewable centrum,I take the centrum . I am just curious if any one looked at  the flinstones or is it word of mouth people judge  them?Truth is the flinstones say 1/2 for younger children and 1 for adults. Not trying to be mean but  I see a lot of people get rude about  the  flinstones  but have no clue what they are talking about ?
Crystal

foobear
on 10/16/08 8:49 am - Medford, MA
You're exactly correct.

There really isn't very much difference between a chewable Flinstones' multivitamin and a Centrum Chewables multivitamin.  Just a few micronutrients like molybdenum and manganese, maybe chromium, none of which even have well-defined deficiency states.  Someone tell me please when a post-op RNYer staggered into her doctor's office only to be immediately hospitalized for having a chromium deficiency!

Multivitamins are also chockful of what I'd call "crapware": potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, chloride, boron, nickle and silica, just to name a few items that are useless components of a multivitamin supplement, either because they're macronutrients which a multivitamin can't contain enough of OR because they are macronutrients which are virtually impossible to be deficient in OR they're junk which has no known role in human nutrition.  But they make the list of ingredients longer and more impressive-sounding.

/Steve
Launa N.
on 10/16/08 9:39 am, edited 10/16/08 9:43 am - Fort Hood, TX
Flinstones:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: One Tablet

Amount per Serving

Calories 5 Calories from Fat 0

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat  0g 0%
    Monounsaturated Fat  0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat  0g
    Trans Fat  0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 25mg 1%
Potassium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0.5g 0%
    Dietary Fiber  0g 0%
    Sugars  0.5g
Protein 0g 0%

Vitamin A 50%
Vitamin C 417%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
Vitamin D 100%
Vitamin E 50%
Vitamin K 0%
Thiamin (B1) 70%
Riboflavin (B2) 70%
Niacin (B3) 67%
Vitamin B6 52%
Folic Acid (Folate) 75%
Vitamin B12 75%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 0.0%     Carbs 40.0%
Protein 0.0%

Centrum:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Tablet

Amount per Serving

Calories 0 Calories from Fat 0

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat  0g 0%
    Monounsaturated Fat  0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat  0g
    Trans Fat  0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0mg 0%
Potassium 80mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber  0g 0%
    Sugars  0g
Protein 0g 0%

Vitamin A 70%
Vitamin C 100%
Calcium 16%
Iron 100%
Vitamin D 100%
Vitamin E 100%
Vitamin K 31%
Thiamin (B1) 100%
Riboflavin (B2) 100%
Niacin (B3) 100%
Vitamin B6 100%
Folic Acid (Folate) 100%
Vitamin B12 100%
Biotin 10%
Magnesium 25%
Panthothenic Acid 100%
Zinc 15%
Copper 100%
Manganese 100%
Chromium 100%
Molybdenum 100%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 0.0%     Carbs 0.0%
Protein 0.0%

Centrum has more of EVERY nutrient except Vitamin C. In some cases double.  So it would take 2 Flinstones to equal 1 Centrum.  The suggested dose for post RNY patients is 2 Centrum.  To even come close, you'd have to take 4 Flinstones.  Even then there are things in Centrum that are not in Flinstones.  I haven't researched the importance of each and every one of them.  All that I've seen is that it doesn't have things like Zinc and Magnesium.  I know that a Magnesium deficiency has been linked to things like migraines, fibromaylgia, allergies, and asthma.

It's up to the individual what they choose to take.  I just do not understand why they would choose to take it.  Of course I don't pick my vitamins based on taste, but instead on my nutritional needs.

Launa N.
on 10/16/08 9:51 am - Fort Hood, TX
If you felt like I was being rude then I completely apologise because that was not my intention.  I just do not get why anyone would take Flinstones.  That's my opinion.  I am not a medical professional and do not claim to be.  I simply read labels and am still trying to make sure my own vitamins are where they should be.

hcptt885
on 10/16/08 7:20 am - roslyn, PA
Look at your jar of flintstones and the centrum compare the two , if you look they are the same  and the dose says one for adult . I am not sure why so many people  judge them ? Truth is they taste better ? My kids take them I am asking my nut  if i can .
Crystal

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views