TVP-- the Miracle Product no RNYer should be without!

Jupiter6
on 11/15/08 6:36 am, edited 11/15/08 6:40 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
TVP is the greatest thing to come into my kitchen in decades, and I know many people here (present company included) used to live life from Dorito to Dorito and don't know much about "health food", so let me explain (some of this is from online sources.)

Textured or texturized vegetable protein (TVP), also known as textured soy protein (TSP) is a meat substitute made from defatted soy flour, a by-product of making soybean oil. It is quick to cook, high in protein, and low in fat. It's made of little crunchy dried flakes-- needs no refrigeration-- and it looks like this:
Image:Textured vegetable protein.jpg 

The reasons TVP is great for us are many, but here's the highlights:

1) It's very high in protein and has no fat, and is low in carbs. A quarter cup of TVP has 80 calories, 7 carbs and 12 proteins

2) While it's mostly protein, it behaves like a carb. When put in a fluid, it absorbs the flavor of it, like rice does. When used dry (as on yogurt) it's crunchy and kind of meaty like coconut.

3) It's very hearty and filling

4) It's less expensive than meat so it's excellent for stews and chilis and taco meat-- make a ratio of 1:1 and you will likely not even notice a difference

5) It's relatively inexpensive-- $2.50 for a pretty big bag-- and available in any health food store-- and these days in most major chain stores (I know Wegman's carries it).

6) It's great for baking (I used it in place of the coconut on my pb balls and they're just as meaty/fudgy) and in oatmeal it seriously cuts the carb damage and ups the protein considerably.  I use a half packet of instant oats, two tbsp of TVP, dried apples and some cinnamon and make a big hearty bowl of oatmeal for under 120 cals....with 8.3g protein. Most oatmeal doesn't have much in that department.

Here's more info:
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/all_ab out_textured_vegetable_protein.htm

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Lady Lithia
on 11/15/08 6:39 am
$250 or $2.50

I'm thinking a $250 bag would have to be REALLY big!

Thank you for the inforamtion... how do I find out what stores in MY area carry it?

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Jupiter6
on 11/15/08 6:41 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I'd google "health Food" and the name of your town.

I fixed the typo, thanks.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Lady Lithia
on 11/15/08 6:47 am
Thanks.... there's a fairly close health food store. I'll probably check it out next time I'm downtown.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Tara K.
on 11/15/08 6:51 am - Kuna, ID
Yes, I was looking looking looking for this. I was looking for the Bob's Red Mill bag of it, never found. Then I was browsing the very large section of bulk foods and I found it! So for those of you not finding it in the cereal isle - check bulk foods too.

I've only used it once so far - cooked it into my oatmeal with all kinds of other good stuff. It was yummy and even better - made it high in protein to balance out the oat carbs. These things are best made in a batch and portion them out for later meals (like breakfast all week - so fast and easy to grab)

I want to try it in some chili soon. Do you think I would just dump it in to cook? Or do I have to reconstitute it first? I usually make my chili in a crockpot. Would love some other ideas to.
RNY April 7, 2008 - from size 24/26 to size 6/8Photobucket
Jupiter6
on 11/15/08 7:00 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Nah, just dump it in. I even just dumped it into the warm peanut butter when I made the pb balls and it softened right up. Miracle stuff!

I should make real oatmeal but i am a cheeseball, so I take a packet of SF instant oatmeal with flax, 2 tbsp TVP, 2 tbsp dried apples and a pile of cinnamon and Splenda--I put it all in baggies and put it back in the oatmeal box. A favorite Sunday AM breakfast is apple cinnamon oatmeal, three strips of pre=cooked bacon (LAZY!) and a couple ounces of greek yogurt-- keeps me full most of the day!

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

PMarie
on 11/15/08 7:11 am - Bloomington, MN
Thanks for this tip!  About 'real oatmeal'-- here's my shortcut--
I use real McCann's Irish Oats.  The shortcut is right on the package.  Boil 2 cups of water.  Turn off heat.  Add 1 C oats.  Cover, let stand overnight.  In the morning, simply cook 9-12 minutes!  I make a pot of this on Sunday night, and refrigerate the left overs-- then on mornings when I want oatmeal, I measure out my portion and microwave. Yummy!

Jupiter6
on 11/15/08 7:17 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
See, you lost me at "overnight." That would require premeditation!

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Tara K.
on 11/15/08 7:18 am - Kuna, ID
I love steel cut oats too, but yeah they take a long time to cook. I've never heard of leaving them over night! That makes total sense though! Like soaking grains or beans. Thanks for the tip!
RNY April 7, 2008 - from size 24/26 to size 6/8Photobucket
Mrs. Scarlet
on 11/15/08 7:06 am - KS
It is available online as well. Just google TVP or soy protein. We substitute part of the meat in dishes, and the kids don't even know it. If you presoak it in broth or something you like, the unflavored takes on whatever flavor you add to it. It's awesome!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 768 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 496 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 14 replies · 78 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?