OT: Itchy Whelps

Texasgirl_2008
on 11/16/08 7:37 pm
So last December I woke up one a.m. itching like the deamons.  This lasted a week and 2 dr appts and 1 visit to ER.  They said I had scabbies, yet no red bumps just white whelps, all over.  They prescribed me Xyxal (indoor allergy meds), gave me a shot of benidryl (sp) and put me on oral steroid.  Went away, yeah.  So this a.m. bright and early 4:45 I wake up itching.  I have same whelps behid knees, back, side, bottom, fore arm, bicep....WTF.  I have not changed any products, eating anything I haven't eaten before, on any new meds.  I am dying here.  It got so bad last year I would cry and scream.  Please God don't let it get to that point.
ibeanniebe
on 11/16/08 9:04 pm - NM
I would try to go see a dermatologist and/or an allergist. You may get a more definitive diagnosis and get it resolved quicker. Good luck. Skin allergies really are difficult to deal with.
Ann and the 'Bean'
Blogs mysecondhalfoflife.blogspot.com/ and amanicinsomniacsreadinglist.blogspot.com/

High/Surg/current/goal - 320/253/150/healthy - I am 5' 3" tall - Size 8 now! Past surgeon's goal now!

Melody L.
on 11/16/08 9:33 pm - Keizer, OR
It doesn't sound like scabies to me, sounds like an allergic reaction of some sort, whatever that might be.  Personally I get whelts/hives on my trunk and upper thighs that itch like mad and are white and raised from STRESS, I also can get a swollen lip, swollen eyes, and once even a swollen tongue, all from stress.  If I take Benadryl around the clock, every four hours, it will eventually catch up to it and get rid of it, and then I continue to take it when it's really bad for awhile.  Sometimes I can feel it coming on before it really happens, it sort of tingles, and if I take Benadryl right away it will sometimes prevent a full blown attack, but that's only if it doesn't happen in the middle of the night.  Luckily it hasn't happened to me a whole lot since my divorce.  But I agree that you should probably see an allergist and see what they think.  Good luck, I know how miserable it is!!

~Melody
frazzledmomof2
on 11/16/08 10:00 pm - Old Bridge, NJ
Unfortunately I had scabbies after the delivery of my first child when I visited the ER a few days after discharge because my incision from c-section was opening.  I didn't realize I had gotten scabbies until maybe a month or so later after I had itchy rash all over and went to dermatologist who took skin biopsy to confirm diagnosis.  From my understanding scabbies are like microscopic mites and I was prescribed a stinky cream that I had to apply from head to toe.  Dermatologist said scabbies are contracted from unclean conditions (I'm thinking when I was in the ER shortly after my delivery)!  Regardless go to the Dermatologist since they will know definately what kind of skin irritation this is.

Ellen H.
on 11/17/08 1:09 am - Metro Detroit, MI
I had scabbies when I was a kid and it is highly contagious if you have been exposed to it.  Like PP said they are microscopic bugs and they are darn hard to get rid of.  When I had it they are frequently in "warm" spots like behind the knee, in the crook of your arm, and I had them in between my fingers.  I agree that a dermatologist appt would be good.  I hope that you don't have scabbies though. 
Cindy O.
on 11/17/08 2:23 am - Bryan, TX
sounds more like Hives or angioedema to me.

Hives (Urticaria and Angioedema)

Hives, also known as urticaria, are an outbreak of swollen, pale red bumps, patches, or welts on the skin that appear suddenly -- either as a result of the body's adverse reaction to certain allergens, or for other reasons.

What Causes Hives and Angioedema?

Hives and angioedema form when, in response to histamine, blood plasma leaks out of small blood vessels in the skin. Histamine is a chemical released from specialized cells along the skin's blood vessels.

Allergic reactions, chemicals in foods, insect stings, sunlight exposure, or medicines can all cause histamine release. Sometimes it's impossible to find out exactly why hives have formed.

There are several different types of hives and angioedema, including:

• Acute urticaria and/or angiodema: Hives or swelling lasting less than six weeks. The most common causes are foods, medicines, latex, or infections. Insect bites and internal disease may also be responsible. The most common foods that cause hives are nuts, chocolate, fish, tomatoes, eggs, fresh berries, soy, wheat and milk. Fresh foods cause hives more often than cooked foods. Certain food additives and preservatives may also be to blame. Medicines that can cause hives and angioedema include aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, high blood pressure medications (ACE inhibitors), or painkillers such as codeine.

magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
lac123
on 11/17/08 3:35 am - TX
RNY on 06/30/08 with
Sounds like hives to me too. I've had them in response to pressure or contact. Yeah, like my sleeve will bug me, so I scratch and then get welts in the pattern of the scratching, and the scratching makes the itch worse, so I scratch more, horrible endless cycle.  Went to a dermatologist who prescribed Zyrtec.  It's worked amazingly well and is now available over the counter.  In a pinch, I've taken Allegra, but it doesn't last as long.

mrkmtnfan
on 11/17/08 7:40 am - Ashland, KY
maybe a yeast infection.  a friend of mine has this.  she developed this a year out from her surgery.  just a thought.

IF YOU FIND A PATH WITH NO OBSTACLES IT PROBABLY DOESN'T LEAD ANYWHERE

TrishG64
on 11/17/08 11:22 pm, edited 11/17/08 11:24 pm - Duluth, MN
It sounds like hives maybe from an allergy. I had this for one year and none of the dr's figured it out. Itching, welts all over including around eyes, went to er once with swollen lips and face(they put me on another anti depressant (great  )for stress of the welts and itching and two other allegy meds to get this under control, it did but with occasional outbreaks; freaked me out. It wasn't until I went off the effexor(no other outbreaks)  until I was put on a different anti-deppressant that I figured out was causing the allergy after about 9-14 days of being on it I started breaking out again, went off sooo fast.
I sympathize with you omg the itching was unbearable and constant; thighs,torso,arms,back, around eyes etc. uughgh.
I don't know if this is helpful you said you didn't start any new meds. Hope you find out what is causing the reaction.
TrishG
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 338 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 100 views