Estrogen in fat??

Tchrcook
on 1/18/09 11:27 am
I keep hearing that the body releases estrogen as it breaks down fat. Is this true in everyone?? Men, women after menopause..etc?

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest. "

Nancy G.
on 1/18/09 11:46 am - La Salle, IL
 I can tell you it is true for women even after menopause.  I was a real witch at times and thought I would either bite my tongue off or go through a box of kleenex a day.  I could not even stand myself some days.  At least you realize it is happening to you.  

Cat Lady

foobear
on 1/18/09 12:17 pm - Medford, MA
I keep hearing that the body releases estrogen as it breaks down fat. Is this true in everyone?? Men, women after menopause..etc?

This is a load of horse-puckey used to describe after-the-fact the emotional lability that some people experience during their rapid weight loss.  There is no evidence whatsoever that this has anything to do with hormones, let alone female sex hormones (estrogens).  It's pseudo-science repeated ad nauseam by bariatric program personnel, some NUTs and of course, every third person who posts to an forum on OH.  But that doesn't make it true.

/Steve
(deactivated member)
on 1/18/09 8:54 pm

Estrogen IS stored in Fat cells.  When loosing weight, and those fat cells, it will affect each person differently.

maggie L.
on 1/18/09 9:12 pm - Willio Grove, Canada
Yes, you are right. As a nurse I have worked for many years in health field. The female body does store estrogen in fat cells. I went through menopause 16 years ago have been symptom free for 10 years. This summer I dieted down 35 pounds and I did have a surge of estrogen release. Just to make sure, I hab a FSH blood test done and yup there were estrogen in my bloodstream. I have not been able to tale HRT and therefore have had no estrogen for many many years and suddenly as I lost weight I had estrogen. Once I stopped losing weight though the effect stopped too. Was kind of nice while it lasted.
Anne O.
on 7/27/16 9:06 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I am losing weight very fast after my VSG on 6/30 and I cannot stop crying. I'm having some kind of estrogen storm, I guess. 

Is there anything my doctor can give me to counteract these effects? Or do I just have to ride it out? I could start eating ice cream to slow down my weight loss...but...that would be counterproductive, right?

Any suggestions? 

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/09 10:59 pm

YES! Not only estrogen but also other hormones! This is true for all men and women alike! fats cells hold on to more than just fat they hold onto hormones, chemicals, and nasty fat!

juicyprincess
on 1/19/09 12:40 am - Tacoma, WA
lots of stuff are stored in your fat. And hormones are big ones, my neurologist told me my migraines will probably get worse as i shed the fat becasue all that hormone (which is a trigger for me) will be flooding my system, but then they should get better (that is our hope based on some studies done in isreal).
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 239 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?