Ouch! raw skin under my stomach roll

pegleg63
on 2/5/09 11:20 am - Taylor, WI
I had this happen one time a while before my RNY a month ago, thought it was a isolated thing, but now it happened again!  I have a not huge stomach roll, but no the less a roll.  Straight down from my belly button is a good size area that is red, irriated and sore!  Ouch!  I put anitbiotic ointment on it and it's gettng better.  Why is this happening to me now?    I have had this roll for years.  How do I keep it from happening again, use powder?
weightloss.jpg weightloss image by pegleg63Beth    
Pollyann F.
on 2/5/09 11:26 am - china grove, NC
FobiPouch on 11/07/08 with
pure corn starch baby powder to prevent. But i remember some of the post plastic folks saying it you plan to have plastics to document it EVERY time it happens with your Dr. maybe one of them will have a better answer as to why now. Best of luck to ya,                   Pollyann
Polly in NC  "People will for get what you say, they will forget what you do, but they will never forget how you make them feel" Maya Angelou

8 pounds lost pre-op
             Publication1           
Arkin10
on 2/5/09 11:29 am - TX
RNY on 05/18/09 with
I feel your pain.  I've had it under my breasts before and since I can't go to work w/o a bra you can imagine what kind of unpleasantness those days were.  The burn and chafing.  But I found that good ole Desitin diaper rash ointment cures it in 2 days max.  Apply to clean, dry skin and just dab it if your skin is super irritated right now. 
knh771
on 2/5/09 11:29 am - WY
You might want to go to your doc and get a prescription for a yeast infection cream... My doc suggested getting some baby blankets and cutting them into smaller peices to place under the apron and reduce the irritation.
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Unknown

298/272/162/1??
highest/surgery/current/
goal

KarBearC
on 2/5/09 11:35 am, edited 2/5/09 11:35 am
The most important thing is to keep it clean and dry. I would also recommend having your Dr. check it out just to make sure that it isn't a yeast infection. Plus by doing this, you are getting it documented in case you decide to have plastics. Some times insurance WILL cover plastics if there is enough documented evedince. Good luck.
twohearts
on 2/5/09 12:00 pm - Waukesha, WI
I agree.  Have your doctor take a look and document for plastics later.  This may sound terrible but it really works.  Get some "Breaudrou's Butt Paste" not sure on the spelling.  You find it in the baby section near the powder.  It puts a protective coating over the area and lets it heal.
serathia
on 2/5/09 12:05 pm - Schenectady, NY
Have it documented and then use Baby Gold Bond Powder...only thing that works for me.

-Jennifer
Jupiter6
on 2/5/09 12:09 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Ointment is the wrong thing to put on an intertriginous rash. You need to dry it out, not make it wetter-- the moisture breeds bacteria. 

What you need is an anti-fungal powder like Zeasorb. Take photos-- as people suggest-- if you might ever require plastics. There is also a topical cream called Vusion your doctor can prescribe that works well.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Maleficent58
on 2/5/09 12:18 pm

I've had the same problem for years. Under the belly and breast burns. Trial and error has brought me to use A & D Ointment. Desitin is good but messy, powder clumps. Make sure you wash often and dry well. A thin layer of ointment goes a long way.

Jandell
on 2/5/09 12:22 pm, edited 2/5/09 12:23 pm - Glendora, CA
Document this for sure - either take pictures or see the DR so he can document it.

It could help you with plastics later on. It helped get me approved.

I sometimes use a hairdryer on low to make sure spots like this get really dry. I have prescription cream from the Dr for this and I use a powder with cornstarch.
Jan
I know I can, I know I can
cicerogirl
on 2/5/09 12:27 pm - OH
Jupiter's response was the same as my PCPs -- use powder NOT ointment.  Keeping it dry is important.  There are a number of different prescription powders available.  My tummy roll is history, but I keep it for use in the summer under my breasts.

Lora

6 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

deactivated member
on 2/5/09 12:48 pm - Los Alamos, OR
RNY on 06/24/09 with
prttynpnk42
on 2/5/09 1:38 pm
I as a matter of fact just saw my doctor today for this very problem and she prescribed Nystatin powder. She also documented that she saw me regarding this (per my request). Just in case plastics are in my future. She also suggested drying it with a blowdryer when getting out of the shower because it doesn't always get dryed well with a towel. I feel for you, this can be very painful...hope this helps.
deactivated member
on 2/5/09 2:02 pm
hey there I dont know if this is ok to do but for years I get this same issue and I get it right before my peroid..uner my belly, under my boobs and a few times I have gotten it under the arm pit....so I just dab on a little desitin ( baby rash cream) and it clears right up...and cools it down...
Jenny R
on 2/5/09 2:18 pm
Document! Document!! Document!!! Pay whatever co-pay you have to and get a doctor to put it in your file. Then get the prescriptions filled if your doctor prescribes ANYTHING. Go every single time it happens. If it gets a 10K future PS covered it's worth the couple hundred (if even that) to get the documentation and prescriptions filled IMO!!!!

Good luck!!!

Jen

MSW will not settle
on 2/6/09 4:00 am, edited 2/6/09 4:02 am
Skin gets moist or soft and raw? Or it is shiny tight and raw? And/or splits in places like an open paper cut at the crease?  It may be fungal and easy to fix.  Had it for a over a decade. 

Lotrasone or any OTC antifungal will clear it up (per my GYN).  My PCP gave me the prescription lotrisone lotion which will clears it up in as little as 12 hours. 

To avoid it I'm meticulous about getting bone dry under my belly and breast after a shower.  Sweat is a bigger cause than left over moisture so on sweaty days I clean up with pre moisened wipes during the day. 

Hope this helps. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

nancydrum
on 2/6/09 5:55 am - Wheatley, Canada
My excess weight was all in my hips and legs - so now I am getting the red scald behind my knees!  I was amazed when this started - I've had it under my boobs before, but behind my knees?

I have been putting penatin cream behind my knees and it really helps clear up the redness and soreness.  The only trouble is, I now have what looks like scarring behind my knees.

I still have a lot of weight to lose - but now I know I sure won't be able to wear shorts, or skirts  this summer!
Lovin my RNY!!!