Are tortilla chips really that bad?

mamous
on 2/16/09 3:07 pm
I realize they are fried in oil...... and the only other ingredient is stone ground corn, at least the ones that I have on hand.  So that being said if you need a salty snack is a couple of them that bad for you?
Iris Shimmer
on 2/16/09 3:14 pm
How far out are you? If you are a new post op you will set yourself up for failure. Try this if you really need salty crunchy snacks. Get a package of pepperonis and nuke them for a minute. oak the grease up with a paper towel. They give you ev erything you need..and have protein.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

mamous
on 2/16/09 3:46 pm
I will try the pepperoni's and see what happens, I'm not going to lie I really like that crunch
kit_n_fish
on 2/16/09 3:47 pm - KENT, WA
RNY on 02/05/08 with
wow!!! what a great idea!!! I am going to do this tonight for a couple snacks at work this week :-) thanks for this!
teresa...

Our Lady of the Holy
Rollers

on 2/16/09 3:16 pm, edited 2/16/09 3:24 pm
RNY on 11/25/08 with
You know, I never was a chip fan pre-op, but now I've been eating 1-2 tortilla chips every third day or so. . .and my nut hasn't said anything about it.

I figure I need the carbs, and apparently, my body wants the carbs and salt for some reason, and one or two chips every few days isn't ODing on them or anything.

ETA: But I'm further out than you.

-----------------------------------------

Our Lady of the Holy Rollers

That's not a tiara. I just bedazzle my horns.

mamous
on 2/16/09 3:45 pm
I know I'm not that far out, and it's not like I eat them all the time.  I had them with salsa, and they were so goooooood
Pre-op I was not able to tolerate many foods, I usually would try to eat things like salsa and get very sick, stomach pains and diarrhea the whole shebang. So now being able to tolerate these foods I thought corn tortilla chips ( 1 or 2 would be bad with lots a salsa) 
Lisa D.
on 2/20/09 7:31 am, edited 2/20/09 7:31 am
We made our own tortilla chips. We buy the corn tortillas and they are usually refrigerated and they are designed to be fried but we bake them. Barely any fat in them but I dont have the stats right here...hmmm, but I do on my Spark People page, I will post them. Basically we cut them into strips, put them on the oven rack and baked them up. Tasty, not fried and helped with the crunch factor. Just do what you do with other food, measure out a serving, half serving, whatever to eat and dont go back for seconds.

Ole Corn Tortillas
2 tortillas (which we cut into 8 triangles or more strips)

Calories 130.0
  Total Fat 0.0 g
      Saturated Fat 0.0 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
      Trans Fat 0.0 g
  Cholesterol 0.0 mg
  Sodium 50.0 mg
  Potassium 0.0 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
      Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
      Sugars 0.0 g
  Protein 3.0 g

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/09 3:45 pm - Falls Church, VA
RNY on 08/13/08 with
 Id say stay away from tortilla chips.  They are a trigger for almost everyone - a few turns into a handful turns into a bowl full.
Bonnie M.
on 1/31/14 8:30 pm

My gastric sleeve surgery was August 23, 2013. Lately, I really crave tortilla chips! I find I can eat way too many of them! I have to get them out of my house tomorrow! 

I am currently experiencing a stall. I've only lost about 7 pounds in the past 30-days.

BonBon

Grim_Traveller
on 2/1/14 12:05 am
RNY on 08/21/13
On January 31, 2014 at 8:30 PM Pacific Time, Bonnie M. wrote:

My gastric sleeve surgery was August 23, 2013. Lately, I really crave tortilla chips! I find I can eat way too many of them! I have to get them out of my house tomorrow! 

I am currently experiencing a stall. I've only lost about 7 pounds in the past 30-days.

Do you realize you have responded to a post that is almost 5 years old? The original poster has not posted anything since 2009.

High weight: 475, BMI 59.4 Surgery weight 359, Current weight 185, BMI 23.1

First rule of R&R 3.0? Don't talk about R&R 3.0  Want an Invite? PM Me Here

MyLady Heidi
on 2/1/14 3:25 pm

Since you brought it up, it might be 5 yrs old but whats said about tortilla chips is still relevent and pretty damn timely given tomorrow is the superbowl and these sort of chips are a trigger food for some. 

Personally I eat them with my homemade guacamole but not many.

SandieW
on 2/16/09 3:47 pm - Glenside, PA
RNY on 11/06/08 with
I get the salt cravings as well, but I've been having dry-roasted peanuts instead.  They're probably not much better for me but at least they contain protein.

Terili
on 2/16/09 3:53 pm - Surprise, AZ
I would stay away from tortilla chips. If I need salt, and crunch, I pick up a bag of salted, dried green peas. I get mine at Trader Joes but they have them in any health food store. They also have Wasabi flavored dried peas.

Teri
Our Lady of the Holy
Rollers

on 2/16/09 3:58 pm
RNY on 11/25/08 with
Good idea. . .I know the wasabi ones would kill me, though. 

Now I gotta get me some edamame!!! Thanks for the idea!

-----------------------------------------

Our Lady of the Holy Rollers

That's not a tiara. I just bedazzle my horns.

Nathan Hale
on 2/16/09 3:57 pm
you could always make parmasian chips,,,even with peperoni if you want.  look them up, they are good.
Born Swimmer
on 2/17/09 12:12 am - Sunny, FL
How do you make parm chips?  Sounds great as an garnish!

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

Cindy P.
on 2/16/09 4:03 pm
I buy the Baked Tostitos Scoops for my teenage daughters who love salsa and occasionally I have had 3 or 4 with some fat free refried beans and salsa.  They have 1/2 the fat of regular tortilla chips according to the label.   - 1 serving is 14 chips so if I only eat a few I'm only getting a fraction of the serving size which would be  3g fat, 22g carbs and 120 calories.  I just load them up with the beans and then chew until the chip is pulverized into a fine powder!   They  haven't bothered me so far.  I won't buy the regular tortilla chips - they're too good to quit with a few.   LOL

Good luck!
Cindy

[
mamous
on 2/16/09 4:16 pm
Thanks,
I never thought of ff refried beans and salsa.... sounds yummy.
Cindy P.
on 2/16/09 4:33 pm
I love those refried beans - I sprinkle a little cheddar on top and a little taco sauce (my pouch doesn't seem to mind spicy stuff at all) and heat those things up and it's heavenly.  Plus, the ff refried beans are high in protein.  I have to remember to eat them slowly though because they are soft and go down like pudding - having the baked tostito with them forces me to chew, chew, chew before swallowing.   
[
Shelley S.
on 2/16/09 4:23 pm - Ft Lewis, WA
I didn't try any kind of chips until much further out than you are.  I did however get that craving for crunch, and satisfied that with some soy crisps.  I got some cheddar flavored soy crisps at Trader Joes, but I'm sure you can find them most anywhere.