Are tortilla chips really that bad?

Deedles
on 2/17/09 3:22 am - Highlands, TX
I don't know that if I've tried borden's or not but I've tried several brands, lite and regular. I'll look for the red Borden's bag and try it. It could be worse....it could taste awful and make me sick!
Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

jcheryld
on 2/19/09 12:48 pm
I made this just now and YUM YUM! Thanks for the idea!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

JesusLovinGal
on 2/19/09 1:43 pm - Gillett, AR
You are welcome!  They scoop chicken salad (I like mine fine chopped in the food processor) GREAT too!
  Donna 
RNY pt since 9/8/99
  Preacher's Wife to Scott since 7/17/04
  Mama to Anna since 7/8/05 and Isaac since 9/26/07

403/225/319/287/180
Surgery/lowest/regain/current/goal
(I am a 6ft tall Mama!)
2_be_me_again
on 2/16/09 12:35 pm
HI - I'm still pre-op but I saw on another post - people have suggested TURKEY pepperoni with cheese as well. 

Apparently the grease / blotting is a non-issue with Turkey....

Happy Day...
AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

AwesomeForever
on 2/16/09 12:51 pm - Marlborough, MA
I think we need to curb our desires for something salty and crunchy.

Yet, I did try potato chips from a one ounce bag early out.

Horrible experience...you will not catch me eating them again.

I just want to say...I wanted it and it was there...

So, make sure you do not bring something into the house "for the kids" if it is bad for you...it is bad for them.

Do I sound preachy?

SS

Just trying to give some advice based on experience.

Linda
Arnulfo
on 2/16/09 6:15 pm, edited 2/17/09 7:16 am - San Antonio, TX
I didnt try tortilla chips till about 6 months out, with some hotsauce and it made me ill, but a month later I tried them again and i figure it was the salsa...1 year out salsa and tortilla chips were and still are my regular snack. I guess thats not maybe what people may wanna hear or say that it sets you up for failure but, I have lost weight since, im actually going down a pants size from 38's to 36's and I have gained my muscle back..while losing clothes sizes....I dont eat much but i eat what i like mostly, but i get plenty of exercise. I dont do GREASY in anyway...makes me sick...even a greasy tortilla chip will....lol..so no nuked perperoni for me!!! Also some potato chips make me sick also, pringles, and cheetos but not jalapeno chips? weird huh?? Im a little more then two years out and right where i want to be.........sorry..like i said not what SOME people would like to hear but not all of us are the same and we all gained our wait for different reasons.

Arnulfo,

Lap-RNY - 11/17/06
Pre Op Weight - 369
 Feb 2009- 227
www.myspace.com/arnulfogonzales

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/09 3:20 am
Tough love here, yes, tortilla chips are that bad. As recent as you've had RNY, you shouldn't go anywhere near a tortilla chip. Later, you can cut up a multi-grain tortilla and bake it in the oven, and use that in place of tortilla chips. I do indulge in the multigrain tortilla chips every now and then, but not very often. Speaking from experience - the first year or two after WLS, you can get away with pretty much anything, but it changes. Tortilla chips have absolutely no nutritional value, and there's no benefit to eating them. You may try a fruit & seed mixture, which has a lot of calories, but at least it's good for you: equal parts of three kinds of dried fruit, and three kinds of seeds or nuts. Divide into baggies in 1/3 cup servings. A good example is cranberries, dates, bluberries, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds. I also make what I call colon blast. I couldn't handle this as a new post-op, but I have a lot of it now. Also high in calories, but it has tons of fiber and nutrients: mix 3 cups Fiber One cereal (the twiggy kind), 1 cup almonds, and 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips. Divide into baggies. It's almost like trail mix, if you use your imagination.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 470 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 385 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views