***Appetite Suppressants???***

Loriliane
on 2/28/09 9:39 am - Knoxville, TN
I don't usually reveal this because so many people are judgmental about it, but yes, I use an appetite suppressant and have since my hunger came back at about 10 months out.  When my hunger returned, it was with a vengeance.  I mean, it felt like I hadn't eaten in 100 years.

So, my PCP, who has had weight loss surgery, by the way, gave me phentermine.  I used that for several months, then was switched to vyvance by my psychiatrist (an ADD med - also in the amphetamine family, like phentermine) to help with my concentration, as well as keeping my appetite in check.

I still get hungry, but it's controllable with the med.  If I skip a day, then I starve all day long and have a very hard time not over-eating.

Here's how I look at it.  I want to succeed at this more than anything, and I'm willing to give myself every advantage.

Good luck,

Lori  (-:
Born Swimmer
on 2/28/09 11:16 am - Sunny, FL
I appreciate you sharing your experience with appetite suppressants.  I've been on OH.com for years and those talking about the dreaded pills seem to get flamed.  I don't know why that is.  Some thing that surgery fixes everything, others think if you eat outside meal time is due to emotional reasons, but not many accept the notion that hunger is a big, physical problem. 

I will look into what medications are out there.  I will accept help when I need it...

Thank you so much for your input!

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

countrychicadee
on 11/7/11 6:19 am - Cutler, CA
I am curious. Is the phentermine an over the counter or do you need a script? Are wl Dr's ok about perscribing this stuff or is it going to be a touching subject? I have been in the ups and downs with my surgery last year my Dr wanted me to gain weight... Well now all of a sudden I'm hungry all the time and I'm having trouble staying at my weight.. I've been out two and a half years.
fiveholts714
on 2/28/09 10:02 am - St. George, UT
I am worried about hunger.  I was starving with my band.  Some people were lucky any weren't hungry.  I wasn't one of them.   I swear that I woke up famished from the surgery. Hungry Hungry 

Born Swimmer
on 2/28/09 11:21 am - Sunny, FL
When I had an empty band, yeah, I was hungry... but when I was at my sweet spot... talk about bliss.  Imagine waking up without thinking about the kitchen.  Imagine seeing that it is 7pm and realizing all you've had  is water.  I want that back... or at least a diminished hunger.

I hope RNY gives you the satiety you seek.

SandieW
on 2/28/09 10:03 am - Glenside, PA
My hunger has actually gotten worse since my RNY and my weight loss has already stalled completely even though I'm trying to be very careful about what I eat.  Oddly enough, I'm craving sugar and sweets now which I never wanted before.  It's driving me nuts, and if something like Alli or another OTC appetite suppressant would work, I'll be glad to give it a try!  I have ADD so the amphetamine/stimulants don't work on me.

Born Swimmer
on 2/28/09 11:27 am - Sunny, FL
I'm sorry your hunger is worse post-op! I don't know how you cope with that!  I hear that SF products can lead to stronger sugar cravings... maybe all the SF stuff is screwing with your system?  Just an idea.  Wish I could help.  My friend was just put on some sort of ADD medication and she's lost some weight as a side effect.  I don't know if you are on meds for it, but maybe you and your doctors can explore that option.  Maybe there is hope out there for you...?

seashell6417
on 2/28/09 10:11 am - Gaylord, MN
Meridia was a wonder drug for me many years ago.  I lost weight easily because I just didn't feel hungry.  I had to remind myself to eat.  Unfortunately, it did raise my blood pressure to a point where I just couldn't continue to take it.  I used phentermine after that but did not have the same great results as I did w/ Meridia.
Born Swimmer
on 2/28/09 11:33 am - Sunny, FL
Maybe I should look at Meridia.  My BP runs low.  Some days my systolic doesn't even reach 100.  I have to take meds to raise my BP actually.  Do you know how meridia works?  I hear that phentermine you can take for a short time, then go off it, then back on, off, on, etc or else your body will become tolerant quickly.  That is a concern of mine with phentermine.

beansandmia
on 2/28/09 1:10 pm - Delafield, WI
I have tried both phentermine and Meridia. I first took Meridia for one year and dropped 100 pounds, I kept that off  for a few years then gained it all back, a few years later I started Pentermine and I was on that for one year and lost 80 pounds, but then on one of my check-ups my doctor heard a weird noise and I had to have a echocardigram and they found out I had MVP Mitral valve prolapse and he told me he would never put me on any diet pills again. My heart was fine until after being on phentermine for a year.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 313 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 465 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 313 views