Help! Constipation / Impacted stool

td250
on 10/16/14 8:14 am

Thank you so much for posting this issue you've helped me out of a right mess. I fell over and smashed my face on a wall last week, broke a few teeth and face swelled up like crazy. Got put on a number of pain meds and all has been healing nicely until I realised this morning I hadn't had the urge to poop since the accident which was almost 6 days ago. I'm struggling to eat with the mouth issues and had no idea that pain meds can halt things moving along down there as well.

Well trying all sorts to get it going today, starting to panic as the day went on. Realised with horror midday that there was stuff ready to come out, just no way of shifting it. 

Without going into graphic detail after hours trying different remedies crying on the toilet I got things to work thanks to the suggestions offered on here! It's true you can find help for anything on the internet and this really did for me. I wonder how many other people have found this thread by mistake and cured this horrible situation successfully. 

So thanks for sharing. BTW, I've completely stopped taking the meds as the pain is not so bad now but I'm still having issues eating - I can manage about a bowl of soup at a sitting and that takes about 50 minutes to get through. Is there anything I should be doing to stop this happening again whilst I'm still healing? 

Sae6098
on 11/12/14 3:15 am

I need some help that fits right in with this thread! I am on pain meds, muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories for chronic pain along with several other meds. I have experienced constipation on and off in the past, but for the last 3 months it has been severe. I do not have the urge to go to the bathroom, but start feeling lethargic and just icky. So one day I stuck my finger in there and there was rock hard stool that was too large to pass normally so I dug it out with my finger. I also felt some inflammation. I called my GI doctor and he told me to take a fleet enema and a bottle of magnesium citrate and if that didn't work to go to the ER. That didn't work and everything was okay for the time being. Overtime the inflammation continue to get worse to the point that I felt like it was obstructing the stool from coming out so I called the doctor again. I went to see him and all he did was talk to me and did not do any type of exam. He told me to take the prescription form of MiraLAX that I have and see if that didn't work and if it didn't he would do x-rays. Well it worked for the short-term but I ended up calling him back again and his response was that he would send me to a colorectal surgeon. I have put that off and have continued to suffer. Once or twice a week I have to dig my stool out which is a fingers length back. It takes a lot of straining to get it to that point and I have to go under and around things to get to it. 

I went to the gynecologist this week because I was also having tenderness in that area and he said it was muscle tenderness due to my lower back pain but there was no information they are like I thought there was.

So right now I'm at a loss as far as what to do, but I know my bowel habits are not normal and something needs to be done but I don't know where to go. I am taking the prescription strength MiraLAX at least once a week and taking fiber choice tablets daily and I just started taking Dulcolax stool softeners again but should I be doing more or should I see a doctor and if so is a GI dr. the right person or do I need to see the colorectal surgeon?

Please give me some advice.

Thanks

Alyssas_mimi
on 10/15/16 10:35 pm
VSG on 02/13/13

More than 6 years later, I'm going through this. Mine is caused from dehydration and drinking protein shakes to get my protein in because my hair is falling out. A few days whey protein is all I get. I'm also on longterm percocet. It's usually not a issue. I do notice that if I take the equate brand stool softener AND a probiotic, I'm regular as clockwork. Every 3 days I wake needing to go. Sometimes every two days, but since my VSG, it's usually 3 days. I still have the impaction right now. I'm on a break lol I've used lots of polyethylene glycol last night and this morning. Got some out digitally, but not much. Now I've done 3 glycerin suppositories. I still feel like it's right there, but too anxious to go try agsin because of pain. I have an enema I need to use. I'm concerned about the saline enema and pain! Everything is inflamed and torn. I can feel the discomfort and the tell tale itch from the fissures. I'm trying to decide if I wanna try to do it in bed and hold it here and then go to the bathroom. I also have Ankylosing Spondylitis and I'm fused from about L5 up...and curved forward, so if makes thinge awkward! 

RThrone
on 5/13/17 10:41 pm

For those currently suffering with an impacted stool.

I am by no means an expert or health professional, but I feel it my obligation to give some advice after what I just went through - as I was able to finally after 48 hours make a firm decision and run with it- and it worked. I'm finally relieved.

Anyway, this is the second time I've experienced impacted stool, and both times, it was the most traumatic experience of my life. But, getting through it isn't as hard as you think! Just read on, and you'll be able to figure out how I got through mine.

First of all, ignore the hundreds of different methods you'll read about online. I don't mean ignore them as "preventative" measures, because I'm no expert, but if you're anything like me, PASSING THAT THING is your biggest priority right now. Well, here's how to do it.

For starters, I thought mine was too big to pass alone. I considered going to the hospital, but the last time I did that, they just stuck their fingers in there and then gave me an enema. This time, it was even larger, and I was too scared to go to the hospital.

For about 48 hours I pondered what I was going to do, searched online, and slept so that I wouldn't have to think about it. Finally: I made a decision.

First, I took a hot shower. Very hot. This was to relax myself, and also while in the shower, I took a washcloth and held it under the ho****er for about 10 seconds before applying it to my anus with a little pressure. I did this about 15 times then got out of the shower.

Next, I had a saline enema ready. Now, saline enemas aren't necessarily the best health-wise, it was just all I had. As long as you're not already taking sodium laxatives, aren't older than 50, and aren't currently taking any drugs high in sodium, it should be fine for one time use. One thing is for sure, you WILL NEED an enema.

Once you've done your shower with the hot washcloth applied, lay down on your side, pull your top-most leg up to your chest, and let that enema fly. Do NOT take your time spraying it in there, you want there to be sufficient pressure as it will break some of the stool up on it's way in. When done, HOLD IT IN. It's going to hurt a little, but you're just minutes away from easy relief. It is NOT going to hurt that much, in fact, it will feel AMAZING once you've done your business. I personally could only hold it in for 3 minutes due to the pain, but many will tell you 5-15 minutes is best.

Once done, carefully make your way to the toilet and do your business.

Viola. You'll be a happy camper. It's SO MUCH EASIER than it sounds. Don't wait around for days in agony with the idea of the most painful poop ever looming over you. Just... do it! Get an enema, take a hot shower, apply that enema, and GO!

This is NOT a long term solution, and once again I am NOT a health care professional. I just hope my post helps at least one person who is conflicted like I was. Make a plan, and follow through. Last resort: go to the hospital. Especially if the enema does not work(but trust me, it will!)

glut
on 1/13/10 8:30 am - fort wayne, IN
I joined this forum just to reply to this.. omg
if your  impacted stool is in the rectum  you can do this..

Im not a doctor and Im not recommending this but I just got out
of a jam.. no pun intended.  I wanted to pass this thing without tearing up
my you know what.

find a dull butter knife and I mean dull... ok use some common sense folks!!!
a rounded knife with NO sharp edge ok!!!!!!!!!!  DULL~!
insert this thing slowly (nice and slow) up into the stool as far as you can then twist
the handle in a circle about the handle axis.  Alternately you can
insert the blade slowly up into the center of the stool and cut to the side
again nice and slow.
I made several cuts and passed the rock of gibraltar omg.. 
just drink your metamucil 3-4 times a week if your dieting and
for GOds sake stay hydrated... dehdydration is the number one
cause of impacted stools.. if your taking caffeine and different
herbs.. saw palmetto, garcinia cambogia, aka hydroxy cut etc can cause impacted
stool also.  Dieting is good just stay hydrated.. and over-hydrated.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics