Sleeping after surgery

lovchristina
on 7/24/09 2:12 pm - San Diego, CA
I am getting my surgery on the 4th of August...yayyy me!!!

I am worried about the sleeping situation. I have a very hardtime sleeping on my back and realize I will have to sleep propped up to make things easier. For those of you who had laproscopic surgery how long did it take before you were able to sleep on your side and stomach again?
 HW 362/ Surgery date 355/ CW 194/ Goal 150                                        

seashell6417
on 7/24/09 2:23 pm - Gaylord, MN
I slept on my side (drain tube side up, of course) in the hospital.  I had a pillow behind my back for support and it was amazingly comfortable for me.
Tami

cabin111
on 7/24/09 2:36 pm
What I tell new post ops...sleep whereever and whenever you can.  The first few weeks are alot of sipping, walking, and sleeping (very boring).  I tell people to just try and use pillows in a creative way.  All of these areas are acceptable...bed, couch, recliner, floor, loveseat.  Just use the pillows in different ways to make it work.  Brian 
NewDayDawning
on 7/24/09 2:53 pm
I am a side sleeper too.. so sleeping on my back was a pain!  I must have had 12 pillows in my bed.. actually if you prop some beside you on one side more than the other, it almost feels like you're on your side. 

It took me3 weeks before I could lie on my left side (my favorite) and 2 weeks on my right comfortably..

Honestly, when bedtime came I was so tired I almost didn't care what position I was in.

Best of luck to you on your surgery... Congratulations!

Dr. Benn gave me an incredible tool.. and I intend to make the most out of it!!

denise N.
on 7/24/09 5:29 pm - Augusta, GA
I was sleeping on my side within one week. I'm not a stomach sleeper so I can't answer that part.

Jackie McGee
on 7/24/09 7:14 pm - PA
On July 25, 2009 at 12:29 AM Pacific Time, denise N. wrote:
I was sleeping on my side within one week. I'm not a stomach sleeper so I can't answer that part.
Totally off-topic, but could you explain to me how to get my ticker in my signature??

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

crisna626
on 7/24/09 6:17 pm - San Diego, CA
 Hi and Congrats on your surgery! I see you're here in San Diego as well.... which hospital are you getting it done at?  I had mine done at Alvarado.....

As for the sleeping question..... I was finally able to sleep comfortably on my side just a few days ago... it's been a little over 3 weeks for me.  I tried it before the 3 weeks and it was ok but not super comfortable... I had a hard time turning from side to side and literally had to get completely up just to switch to the other side. lol  But now I don't have any problems and can finally sleep comfortably!  I wish I had had the suggestions of all the million pillows!  That does sound pretty comfy!  :O)   Good luck to you on your surgery and see you on the losers bench!  If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email!  
Excited for the new me!

lovchristina
on 7/25/09 6:42 am - San Diego, CA
Mine is being done at Sharp Memorial. The one right off the 163. Yayy another  San Diegan. Do you know if we have any support group meetings here? My doctor has one but I have been looking for a general San Diego one.
 HW 362/ Surgery date 355/ CW 194/ Goal 150                                        

Jackie McGee
on 7/24/09 7:13 pm - PA
It took me about a week before I was comfortable sleeping on the bed again. I highly recommend sleeping on a recliner if you have one. If you don't, check Craigslist or a Yahoo Freecycle group to get one!!

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Lori V.
on 7/24/09 7:19 pm - MI
I had open RNY, and was sleeping in my bed the first night home, with four pillows helping keep me in a almost-sitting position. Comfy for my tummy, but I've never slept well on my back. The next night I figured a way to lay on my side and jam a pillow (gently!) under my hanging tummy to take the pressure off. It was really comfortable, no pulling on the stitches, and I was able to sleep that way. When I rolled over, though, I had to rearrange the pillow again. Totally worth it as I FINALLY got a good night's sleep.

Hope it works for you!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 21 views