Help! How can I get all the protein in?

Sherry W.
on 7/28/09 12:55 pm - Owensboro, KY
I had my surgery on 7/16. I have tried the Isopure drink, New Whey Liquid Protein, and GNC's 100% Whey Protein powder (unflavored powdered drink mix). They all smell and taste really bad. I tried mixing the powder with apple juice. It was suppose to desolve and be clear. It clumped up and looked like sour milk. It smelled about as bad. I have not figured out how to get this protein in and I am very concerned because I know how important it is. Can someone please help me with this? Is there a good protein shake that I can make with this stuff?
Sherry Westerman

dabrick
on 7/28/09 1:06 pm
I went through the same issue i am 9 weeks post op and just last week found a protein at sam's club called "EAS" 100% whey protein for 30$ in a 5 pound bag. i buy chocolate and use 8 ounces of fat free milk 6Grams protein and 3 scoops of eas 69 grams of protein and shake it up in a little $1.99 drink container i found at walmart and i have been able to get anywhere from 3-5 of these down a day with no problem and it alone has broke me out of my stall and helped me shed another 9 pounds in 6 days... its like a god send i found this cause when i say i couldnt stand protein up intill now i could smell all the ones i tryed from a mile away and i would want to puke let alone drink it i would throw up like a madd man... but anyways hope this helps.
nick
Sarah C.
on 7/28/09 1:14 pm
I, too like the EAS stuff. Right now, I'm doing the ready to drink myoplex light, both chocolate and vanilla. I spice up the vanilla with some sugar free instant pudding.

It's kind of a russian roulette thing until you find a protein that works for you. Keep trying. Even now, I'm not in "love" with my protein drinks, but they're tolerable.

In the meantime, I would suggest drinking more milk. When I get tired of my protein, I just up my milk consumption. It's a gram of protein per ounce, I use skim, and milk is good for you in so many ways.

Keep searching, you'll eventually find a good one, and don't get too frustrated.

Good Luck!
seattledeb
on 7/28/09 1:39 pm
I could not drink plain protein shakes early on. I still can't! I like them mixed with ice,a little milk,a little frozen or fresh fruit (if you can have it) or some sugar free coffee syrup and blend it up. I also used cups with lids so I couldn't smell the drinks. Also..early on..just have a small glass in front of you. Having a big ole glass is just intimidating. Sip sip sip.
There are also other sources of protein depending on your diet advancement-yogurt,cheese,SF pudding,tofu.
Good luck to you,
Deb T.
wyoctry
on 7/28/09 2:08 pm - Riverton, WY
My suggestion... when you have cream of chicken soup or.. whatever creamy.. add a scoop of the unflavored protein powder to it.  Don't add more than a scoop as you will then begin to taste and smell that icky protein stuff you are dealing with.  But with the unflavored protein I bought from GNC has 20g of protein per scoop.. which can really help you get that protein in.. and not realize it.
You can also put it in pudding to hide the flavor.  This has helped me a lot!  I am like you, not a big fan of shakes.. and don't like when they are in water or juice.  The ready to drink EAS works for my breakfast.

DEBI R.
on 7/28/09 6:33 pm - CORSICANA, TX
You could add the protein to sugar free pudding mix, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, the possibilities are endless.

I still drink one protein drink a day and I make hot chocolate with mine. I take one scoop of chocolate protein powder, add a pack of no sugar added hot chocolate, add a little room temperature water to mix and get the lumps out then I add boiling water. It's pretty good that way and doesn't taste like protein drink. I also made PAMS chai tea with my vanilla protein powder and it's good too. You could also make protein ice cream with it or protein balls.

Good luck I hope you find something you like. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Heather Hunnie
on 7/28/09 10:56 pm - Sayville, NY
Try the Atkins Advantage Shakes....They are a pre-mixed shake that comes in many different flavors--milk chocolate is my fave, but vanilla and strawberry are also yummy. They also have others, too. I buy them at BJ's club or at Target. The calories are maybe a bit higher than some homemade shakes, but in my opinion, these are sooooo much better. Plus, I doubt that this early out, you need to even worry about the cals...

Good luck with it...it is a learning process, so just try to make a little positive progress each week or each day and you'll do great! =)

Hugs, Heather =)
  Weight_Loss Blinkies  
                   *~*PROUD OH Support Group Leader*~*
           Join SCALE~Second Chance At Life Everyday~
Click HERE!
                  *Discount Codes: NY Conference MarloweNY11
         Blinkies Myspace Graphics - 15
jclemens
on 7/29/09 5:16 am
Hi Sherry!

I had surgery on 7/8 and have been suffering from the same thing! I was even allergic to one of the protien shakes and my face swelled up to the size of a horse. I upgraded myself on the eating diet and decided to move along to purred foods, just because my body could not handle the shakes. Now I realize this probably wasnt the best idea and I did not get the ok from my doctor (he is out of the country) but i take it slow and eat soft purred foods thats how I get my protien in. For me, I really didnt have any other choice. So far I have not had any problems, thank god! I am down 19 pounds and today is my 3 week aniversery.

I know this post isnt very helpful, but I figured I would just want you to know you're not alone! 

Love,

Jackie
Sherry W.
on 7/29/09 7:11 am - Owensboro, KY
Thank you so much for all of your ideas! I am going to try them and see which ones work. It is great to know that I am not alone. This is one of the first times I have posted anything. Your support means a lot to me. Thanks again.
Sherry Westerman

minnekoda
on 7/29/09 10:51 am - west milford, NJ
I like the syntrax nectars. try those ...I think vita lady oor someone sells samples..
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 134 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics