Surgery while having your period? IDK what to do...

ladybugnessa
on 9/10/09 3:33 am - Owings Mills, MD
This has become a big fear for me now.   I had an endometrial ablation in 2004 and if I do get a "period" it's so light as to be TRACE.  But I am betting that I get my first period in 5 years when I have surgery....
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

Stacy M.
on 9/10/09 4:04 am, edited 9/10/09 4:24 am - Woodbury, MN
Someone commented to go quick get on the pill ... DO NOT DO THAT!
It increases your risk of blood clots!!   Most surgeons make female patients get off of their oral contraceptives 30 days before a planned surgery for this reason... (I work at a hospital)

Someone else said you can't go to surgery with a tampon in.. I was told that it was just fine to have one... 
I  asked the same exact question to my WLS office RN when she called and made my surgery appointment.. she said if you have your period, the day of surgery let the intake RN know you have one in, They won't be going anywhere near that area for RNY and it has no affect on what they are doing.  Just make sure it's noted you have one in( incase if emergency treatment needed they need to know you have one in) 

She said even if you have to be cath'd, the tampon is up in your hoo-ha and it does not interfere with them cathing you if thats what is planned for you (I wasn't) 

Stacy
I'M FINALLY A LOSER
  TOO!!!

HW 240  SW 229  CW 160.4   FG 150     FG 130-140          
highest   surgery   current        first goal   
final goal       

Johanna_R
on 9/10/09 4:18 am - MA
Thank you all so much for the replies!! You have no idea how much better you made me feel :) 

I just emailed his nurse again and let her know that I still haven't gotten it but that I took a HPT and it was negative and my body is telling me I should have it by tomorrow or Saturday at the latest... Like I mentioned, she told me that he would do it if I was "light" which I will most definitely NOT be, lol. So, I'll just wait and see what she says...
onMyWay2NewMe
on 6/27/11 2:40 pm - CT
Thank you so much for this post! I am scheduled to have my RNY tomorrow and I am almost positive my dreaded "." is on the way...All these posts have eased my mind...Now I can sleep...
THANK YOU!
Amanda84
on 12/13/12 12:32 am

I just want to thank you ladies for posting about this. This was my worst nightmare as time got closer. Tomorrow I go in for my surgery and TODAY I got my period. Ah! I feel so much better after reading everyones experience with this. Good to know Im not alone.

shay7586
on 1/7/13 7:00 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 01/09/13

I am soooo glad This is on here! Started today my surgery is day after tomorrow. Im horrified! I call the nurse and was all freaked out. Shes like they have seen worse. Im like not the point! She also said no tampons and you dont get to keep panties on. So i kind of feel like some animal or something. I will deal with it for the cause though! But thanks everyone who Wrote here. I feel somewhat better now!

cbr2523
on 5/28/14 4:20 am, edited 5/28/14 4:27 am

My gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for TOMORROW and I just got my period I had asked my Dr's office while scheduling cause I knew it was cutting it close and she said no worries. Well now my fear is reality and I'm worried. After reading all of the posts on here I def feel better but still embarrassing.

Steph4022
on 9/10/09 1:08 pm, edited 9/10/09 1:09 pm
I was on mine when I went in for surgery-heavily!  They just put a pad on me- no problem at all!  It should not affect anything.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 345 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?