Recent Topics
Most Active
vitamins
queenfairy · 76 replies · 2131 views
Down 201 lbs - before and after pic
Dcgirl · 51 replies · 1101 views
Eating & Drinking together
GodsChildII · 49 replies · 1073 views

Cardiac Clearance--what can I expect to be done?

shammy
on 10/16/09 6:48 am, edited 1/25/10 12:32 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/16/09 6:57 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 01/08/08 with
I had to do that. They gave me a 3 hour stress test because they thought I might have a heart murmur. Basically they injected me with a drug that made my heart beat really fast and hooked me up to a bunch of machines that measured my blood pressure and other vitals for 3 hours. I also had to walk a bit (very slowly though) on a treadmill. The next day I had to come back for resting heart rate tests and some sort of body scan (I forget what it's called) that showed cross sections of my heart. I passed with flying colors! In fact, the cardiologist said that for a 300+ lb. woman my heart was in pretty decent shape. Go figure.

What should you eat for dinner tonight? How do you make a good protein shake? And just exactly what IS quinoa? The answers to all this and more can be found at Bariatric Foodie!

shammy
on 10/16/09 7:03 am
AndreaC
on 10/16/09 7:04 am - NJ
RNY on 04/30/08 with
Hi, Your cardiac clearance testing will depend on your age and curent health status. I was 51 when I had my LapRNY and had the usual 12 lead EKG and a nuclear stress test.

The 12 lead is nothing but having sticky tabs attached to various area of skin and then the tech runs a strip (paper printout) for a doc to read and interpret.

A nuclear stress test usually requires you to do some work though it can be done with medication that will make your heart work harder while being monitored by a cardiologist. When mine was done, a tech started an IV line on me and then did a scan (similar to a CT scan). Then I was put to work on a treadmill with the cardiologist and tech. Then another scan. This test does take a considerable amount of time but gives very good info about your heart function.

Keep asking questions and good luck.
Andrea
Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/16/09 7:32 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 01/08/08 with
And it gives you a smashing headache from your heart pumping so fast...I forgot to mention that.

What should you eat for dinner tonight? How do you make a good protein shake? And just exactly what IS quinoa? The answers to all this and more can be found at Bariatric Foodie!

Kyle H.
on 10/16/09 7:48 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I didn't have to do the medicated stress test...I just did the regular stress test where they put me on the treadmill and I had to walk gradully faster and at an incline until my heart rate was about 160 bpm, then they had me lay down fast to do the echo (ultrasound) on my heart. Prior to going on the treadmill, they did the echo to take baseline resting measurements and look at the valves etc. They also hook you up to a 12 lead to monitor the electrical activity in your heart. It really is a painless process. Good Luck!
shammy
on 10/16/09 7:49 am
Russel B.
on 10/16/09 7:53 am - Ellicott City, MD
I had the usual nuclear stress test - injectable dye, treadmill, body scanner.  I had to come back within 48 hours and have more pictures done.   They detected something that they didn't like so I followed up with a cardiac catherization.  Not the most pleasant experience in the world but no pain (the biggest pain in the butt is that you have to lie still w/o moving the leg they went in on for 4 hours afterwards.)  They didn't find anything (I too had a heart much healthier than I probably deserve it to be) and they cleared me for surgery.  Just another hurdle to cross

Fear is the lock and laughter the key to your heart            
shammy
on 10/16/09 8:41 am
Thanks to all for sharing their personal experiences on this---it's very helpful to me as a pre-op!
rmgerace
on 10/17/09 10:24 pm
My cardiac pre-op consisted of a thorough medical history, EKG and basic exam.  The doctor also reviewed an echo and stress test I had a few years ago when I had knee surgery.  I was pretty darn healthy, in spite of hypertension, diabetes and cholesterol issues.  Guess I am a pretty fit fatty!
Melissa    
shammy
on 10/19/09 11:30 am
Janifer
on 9/16/13 8:12 pm
I am have to schedule a stress echo because of my diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I think I am more nervous of failing and not getting the clearance for surgey. I don't have any heart complaints but I know it's better to be safe. Can you tell me about the procedure or what I can expect?
Thank you
ladydeepcalleth
on 2/13/12 7:20 am
 Does anyone know of a doctor in GA who takes medicaid and does the cardiac stress test? I have been directed to one by my PCP but I am looking for another just in case because my surgery is Feb 23rd and the one I have been registered for is Feb 27th, no good.  
ladybugnessa
on 10/19/09 12:56 pm - Owings Mills, MD
went to see the cardiologist.
had to have an echocardiogram and a stress test..  he ordered a nuclear stress test but I was able to do a regular one.

passed with flying colors.
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151