Drinking too much? Can it stretch your pouch?

altheda71
on 1/27/10 10:21 am - Bear, DE
I overheard someone who was about 6-8 months out say they can chug about 5oz of water at once and maybe others could do more.  I'm not criticizing anyone I just want to know if that's ok or could it stretch your stomach out too much too soon causing weight loss to be slower or something.

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
Sharyn S.
on 1/27/10 11:28 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
It is very, very difficult to stretch the pouch.  You would have to overeat to the point of vomiting for a long, long time.

There is no valve holding the water in the pouch.  It is an open drain.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/27/10 12:03 pm - OH
You cannot stretch your pouch with liquid.  If you drink too much too quickly, it will simply "back up" (and you may end up throwing some of it back up if you REALLY overdo it). I can easily drink 6 oz in a very short period of time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 1/27/10 12:14 pm - OH
No, you cannot stretch your pouch with liquids.  Your pouch is kinda shaped like a funnel.  You don't have a pyloric valve anymore so water just goes right through.  Food doesn't go right through because the opening is small, but liquid goes right through.

Kelly
altheda71
on 1/27/10 8:10 pm - Bear, DE
Ohhh.  OK.  So one day I will be able to drink more than a sip at a time.  Thank God.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around not drinking at all while eating and then I thought that it would always take an hour to drink anything.  Good to the facts.

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
Lezlie S.
on 1/28/10 12:14 am - Kouts, IN
I can drink 12 oz. of liquid at a time.....seems like alot but it goes right through.  I talked to my weight loss clinic nurse about it.
Lezlie S.
Highest weight 266
Weight at time of Surgery 248
Current weight 194 Goal weight 145

kiradot
on 1/28/10 2:27 am
No, don't worry about it.

I am not going to lie, at first drinking sucked it took soooo long, but now it is no problem.  I drink a lot of water (crystal light enhanced usually)...helps keep me from eating :)

Amanda 5'10"  346/316/158/175 (start/surgery day/current/tentative goal)

Somewhere inside me, there is a fat girl just dying to get back out. I mostly just try to keep her subdued with sugar free pudding, but she's not amused.

Modest Vixen
on 1/28/10 2:54 am - Surprise, AZ
Three weeks out and I am starting to have an easier time. If I get too big of a gulp I can feel the funnel affect. (Much like when you dump a bottle over and it suctions and bubbles before releasing lol) But I am having a much easier time now.

~*Crystal*~

HW-327/SW-313/CW-271/Doc's Goal:150 ......Awaiting Revision to DS     
Post RNY baby born 6 weeks early, Jaelyn Mary Christine May 9th, 2011    

cookie1351
on 8/31/14 2:38 pm

Hi I'm 4 weeks and drinking really gets easy. At first sip here and there frozen sugar free popsicles was my friend. Nice to get get advice from people who has had the surgery. Good luck to everyone looks like everyone's on the right path.

FastFingers ~*~
on 1/28/10 5:11 am
Not with fluids alone, no - and certainly not with 5 oz.  Your old stomach was like a sink with a stopper in it, so you could have overfilled that one until you vomited, since the stopper kept the drain closed.

But your new stomach is like a smaller sink with no stopper, so  fluids go right down the drain.  Now if you kept drinking and drinking - maybe 20 oz or more - so quickly that the drain couldn't keep up, then maybe.  MAYBE.  But you'd have to be TRYING.

It's far more likely that overeating solids could cause the pouch to stretch out.  They aren't as able to slip down the drain as easily as liquids can, so they sit in the sink longer.  So if you eat too quickly, you could over fill the sink, causing it to stretch the pouch or even overflow (vomiting).

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?