Foul smelling gas & BM

Angie T.
on 2/20/10 5:17 pm - Somewhere, NY
RNY on 10/23/09 with
I cant believe how foul smelling, since the surgery. Why is that? Does this happen to everyone,  or am I just lucky? I didnt realize this was a side effect, I thought is was only with the other surgery (DS Maybe, I could be wrong)
Any advise is more than welcome!!!

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Helen B.
on 2/20/10 5:26 pm - Lake Placid, FL

Oh yeah..I have the same problem! 

Today I had to go to the bathroom, and luckily the women's room was occupied so I went into the unisex bathroom that mostly men use..I say luckily because they have air freshener in there..anyways I used the air freshener when finished and one of my male colleagues went into the bathroom after me (he saw me coming out) and I heard him blasting the air freshener..I was just mortified!

Helen

Angie T.
on 2/20/10 5:45 pm - Somewhere, NY
RNY on 10/23/09 with
OMG Helen that has happened to me too! 

And the other day, I wanted to die...my friends and I had lunch, then went shopping at Trader Joe's, while on line, I couldnt even hold in my gas, it was silent, but deadly. I just played it off like nothing.

Kindness Matters  

Angie

stephaniejoy
on 2/20/10 5:32 pm - Mont Belvieu, TX
 LOL!! Welcome to the world of the RNY'er!! The smelly gas for me is caused if I have to many carbs in a sitting....alot of people say that Sugar Alcohols cause it for them. Sugar alcohols give me diarrhea so I don't eat them.

Here's what I've been doing and it seems to help...I take Devrom before most meals. I take GasX  if it's before something known to be gassy and I make sure I have a BM everyday. For me this just means taking a probotic each day.

I was literally chasing my DH outta the bedroom before.....the Devrom really works for me.

Good luck!!

Stephanie H.
Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win.
- Bernadette Devlin
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway - Earl Nightingale
All Time High/Pre-Op/Surgery Day/
1st Goal/2nd Goal/Current

217          210          204            145       135          118
                                         GOAL!!!
April 7th 2010 - LBL/BL/BA

Angie T.
on 2/20/10 5:47 pm - Somewhere, NY
RNY on 10/23/09 with

I'm going to try to track what I eat and see if I notice a pattern.
What exactly makes it different?  I can only assume it has to do with the re-routing.
Is the Devrom a prescription, or OTC?

Kindness Matters  

Angie

stephaniejoy
on 2/20/10 6:08 pm, edited 2/20/10 6:08 pm - Mont Belvieu, TX
Devrom is OTC...you can see the add for it on the right hand side of the forum....right there...in the middle...green box. As far as I know you can only get it mail order...It's kinda pricey but it works for me. I've heard some people say that it either didn't work or that their farts just smelled like bananas. They taste and smell like bananas (the Devrom....not the farts). To me even if they made mine smell like banana's I'd rather that than what they smelled like before!!! LOL. I will say this...once you know what's causing the smelly gas whether it's carbs (which I should clarify as refined carbs....I'm ok with complex carbs) or sugar or whatever...you have to take it WITH EVER MEAL that consists of those items or you've pretty much wasted the pills you've already taken cuz then there you are smellin anyway.

Now these don't make you not pass gas....just takes the smell away.

edited cuz I can't spell

Stephanie H.
- Bernadette Devlin
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway - Earl Nightingale

GOAL!!!

saraweeks
on 2/20/10 5:58 pm - bangor, ME
Well not only did my gas/bowls stink, but my breath and my arm Pitt's! My nut told me it was from the high protein diet. when i added good carbs back to my diet it all went away. It comes back every once in a while when i eat a higher protein diet.

ChristineB
on 2/20/10 6:55 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On February 20, 2010 at 5:58 PM Pacific Time, saraweeks wrote:
Well not only did my gas/bowls stink, but my breath and my arm Pitt's! My nut told me it was from the high protein diet. when i added good carbs back to my diet it all went away. It comes back every once in a while when i eat a higher protein diet.
Hi - I have done experiments with staying on the straight and narrow with my diet and ate totally the correct foods and still have issues with my bowels and gas smelling horrible. I think it is a person by person issue with each person's digestive track and how their body processes food.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

ChristineB
on 2/20/10 6:49 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
You can purchase at Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens or where ever - Gas X or a store brand equivilant. It works great. My sister, myself and my DH all use it and we all have had RNY.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Angie T.
on 2/21/10 7:08 am - Somewhere, NY
RNY on 10/23/09 with
Thanks Christine, I'll look for it

Kindness Matters  

Angie

H.a.l.a. B.
on 2/20/10 7:27 pm
RNY on 05/14/08 with
Some foods are worse than others to cause gas - if we can not digest it - the bacteria in our gut may - or the fermentation (longer transit time) and - may be silent but deadly.
I know that beans, corn, too much milk, soy and some raw vegetables (cabbage, etc) will cause my gas to be really bad.  Not even mention the SA - not only deadly but volume wise - much -, much more. So I try to avoid the foods that cause that.  Yes, that means that I will not eat beans, or cabbage, or corn, etc. But - I rather sacrifice the food selection that deal with the horrible gas, smell and pain... I also use Devrom, and Gas-X, and Beano - but all of that only works well when I also watch my diet .. (that also include limited carbs and not too high fats)
FYI: when I reached a goal - I needed to increase my calories.  I did that by adding more fat to my diet - for the first 2-3 months  - the gas was bad - but eventually - things got better.  *probably regular usage of the Devrom, probiotics, etc) had something to do with that...

H.a.l.a RNY 5/14/2008    

Need to bitch?  or Rave?  To find new R&R - 3.0 group..- send a PM -  to get included...

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell..."

"So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...." 

stephaniejoy
on 2/20/10 7:53 pm - Mont Belvieu, TX

Your advice has gotten DH back in the room with me has stopped the paint from peeling off my walls. You are a God. 

Stephanie H.
- Bernadette Devlin

GOAL!!!

FARMER63
on 1/29/13 7:32 pm - WI

I WAS TOLD MY GAS AND BMS, COULD KILL ANYTHING OR ANYONE THAT WALKED, i NEED TOO PLEASE STOP IT, BEFORE, I DO KILL SOMETHING FROM IT, MY SON TELLS EVERYONE I KILLED HIS HANSTER. IT WAS IN ONE ROOM, AND I WAS IN IT, AND SHUT THE DOOR AFTERME. AND THE NEXT DAY IT WAS DEAD. I AM SURE IT WASNT FROM MY BAD/FOUL GAS, BUT WHO KNOWS.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANYTHING THAT CAN HELP ME!!!.

Angie T.
on 2/21/10 7:13 am - Somewhere, NY
RNY on 10/23/09 with
I have been staying away from beans, as I found they didnt help get me out of a stall. I dont eat corn, but I do think the carb thing and sugar alcohol could be my problem. Thanks so much for your help

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Lisa D.
on 2/21/10 6:07 am
Not all RNY'rs get bad gas and smelly bms. Myself, I only get bad gas if I eat soy so if I do a lot of protein drinks, watch out. I dont though. I knew I had problems with soy before the surgery. Luckily I am NOT lactose intolerant so I drank a lot of milk and ate a lot of regular cheese. 

For you it might be a reaction to something you are eating that your body doesnt like that much. They do make carbon panty liners though to help with the soy smells. hehe Seriously!!!! I looked it up when I first wondered if all the soy nuts and stuff I was eating during WW times was causing my gas and intestinal aches.

Good luck!!!
Angie T.
on 2/21/10 7:15 am - Somewhere, NY
RNY on 10/23/09 with

I'm not lactose intolerant either, but I do get gassy with certain protein shakes. Believe it or not, I've noticed peanut butter also makes me very bloated. Thanks for your help

Kindness Matters  

Angie

ejjy
on 2/21/10 6:32 am - Watertown, MA
i'm pretty much fine and have been from the beginning, unless i eat a lot of carbs, and sugar alcohol definitely brings out the worst.

you might try adding some liquid acidophilus (get the refrigerated stuff from the health food store) to your daily diet and see if that helps clear it up.

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

Angie T.
on 2/21/10 7:16 am - Somewhere, NY
RNY on 10/23/09 with
I think that is my problem, the carbs and sugar alcohols. Thanks for your help

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Christina135
on 2/21/10 7:58 am
My gas...is so foul.  It is SO foul, that when I am working from home, the puggies sleep under my feet.

When I let one go, THEY move.

That being said, Devrom is the shiznet.  I bought it and take one tablet, four times a day.  SO WORTH IT!

Christina 

"Stop talking down to me, your war is old, your game is over...so here's my coldest shoulder" - Blue October "Say It"    

FARMER63
on 1/29/13 7:33 pm - WI

Thank you, i cant wait too buy it!