Not to beat a dead horse...but......

LaDena
on 3/5/10 1:11 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
Sorry...I know that this topic is quite frequent on the boards....but...I just have to vent and ask for advise.

I am sooooo constipated it's not even remotely close to funny. What is funny is that I am a G.I. nurse! If I were giving advise to a person without WLS I'd tell them to get their fiber, use MiraLax, drink their liquids and call it a day.

However, I have tried those things with no results to speak of.  I have also used glycerin suppositories and done tap water enemas. All of which really did not help. I am so uncomfortable and miserable. 

While I know this is a bit TMI...here goes....I don't have a problem with my stool being hard..if anything it's the consistency of peanut butter.  Gross I know..I apologize. My issue is pushing it out, and the frequency. I used to be a twice a day pooper. Now, I'm lucky to have a decent BM twice a week.

I am distended and feel crampy and gassy all the time. I drink plenty of liquids. I bought some children's liquid Senna laxative and plan on taking it in the morning.

I have talked to my surgeon's office about this. I was told to do Benefiber and MiraLax. Again....no help. 

Any recommendations? I really don't want to become dependent on laxatives. But, at this point I feel like I need a good flush out.

Thanks...and again..sorry if that was TMI.

*~*Ready for some changes!*~*
It used to be about living to eat, now I'm eating to live!
Food-it either goes to waist or to waste.

Highest Wt/Surgery Day/Current Wt/Goal Wt
279             249          140        140-155
                                           Keeping it real!   

Lady Lithia
on 3/5/10 1:14 pm
I had a problem like you describe... mostly when I was on narcotic pain killers. Dropped the narcotics, and upped my fat and fiber intake, and haven't had much of a problem since. In particular, I don't limit certain types of fats.... I don't limit avocados or olives (or EVOO)... and strangely enough I've found that an evil Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger (without the bun) is a GREAT lubricator. To me fat and natural veggie fiber are both gifts from god!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Pat G.
on 3/5/10 1:26 pm - Benton, LA
Try adding a high-quality probiotic to the mix -- the kind that had to be refrigerated is supposed to be the best. And get one that has more than one type of culture in it. That's what makes the difference for me.

altheda71
on 3/5/10 1:30 pm - Bear, DE
Another poster...Pam I think...recommended COD LIVER OIL.  I'd say the same and maybe even a probiotic may help.  I notice when I take my Papaya enzymes my bm is better too.

Good luck

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
Tiffani A.
on 3/5/10 1:31 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
In one of the other constipation threads like someone suggested a probiotic (Pam T. maybe?) I can't exactly remember who.  Anyway, I decided to try it for 30 days, because I didn't really want to be on a laxitive everyday either.  It started working for me within a week.   I just got the Spring Valley brand from Wal Mart and its called Acidophilus.  This is also TMI, BUT it seemed like I had alot to get rid of, if you know what I mean.  I also added in more fiber because I am pretty sure I wasn't getting enough.  So far, I have been doing SO much better.       

Deedles
on 3/5/10 1:36 pm - Highlands, TX
Have you tried magnesium Oxide? It's what finally turned the corner for me. I finally found the ****tail that works for me. I did have problem with hard stools so I started out with stool softeners. lots of water and Benefiber. Still had problems. I added Miralax daily. I thelped but didn't completely solve theproblem. I tried the enemas and even a few bottles of magnesium citrate! All it did was find a way around what seemed like a partial blockage.

Then I read from someone here about Mag. Oxide. After some research to make sure it wasn't harmful, I started with one 400mg cap daily for about a week then upped it to 2 for 800mg. That did the trick. I was able to drop some of the stoll softeners but I still take 2-3 a day. Basically this ****tail works so I'm afraid to try to 'fix' it! This is what I take daily, scattered through the day, that keeps me regular with a soft to normal stool.

2-3 stool softeners, 2T Benefiber, 800mg Mag Ox., 1 dose Miralax
Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

pea305
on 3/5/10 3:22 pm
Try Smooth Move tea
JoannaBean
on 3/5/10 9:19 pm - Amherst, MA
 I had that trouble a few weeks ago and my surgeon recommended milk of mag.  (quarter dose).   Did the trick :) 

ladybugnessa
on 3/5/10 9:46 pm - Owings Mills, MD
if the consistency is not hard but you have trouble pushing is it possible you are afraid to use your ab muscles to help?  I know fo rme that working my abs when I potty is a big help.  I guess all those crunchies are paying off....

are you taking magnesium oxide too?
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

Andrea U.
on 3/5/10 10:37 pm - Wilson, NC
250mg of magnesium oxide whenever you take a calcium supplement.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 415 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 54 views
Recent Topics