RNY Food Options

Shell4banding
on 4/25/10 8:48 am
I am a easy dumper so I have to watch carefully what I eat. Some say this is  a good thing, keeps me in line! I dump with too many carbs (I mean a few bites) anything over 5 sugars........I stay away from. I try like everyone else to stay away from the whites.....bread, pasta, potatoes, sugar etc...I get deathly sick from eggs even though I LOVE eggs! I have treated myself to a few sugar free cookies  and every so often do buy carb smart ice cream........but  I try not to do that too often. Too much of that makes me sick too......... I am happy with my protein and veggies for the most part. I am being strict until goal , I still have a ways to go....haven't lost much in a month. ~ shell

lynnc99
on 4/25/10 9:18 pm
I am not motivated as much by dumping (or the fear of it) as I am by the simple fact that with so little space for food...the food I take in had better do SOME nutritional good for my body!

So...
I too avoid refined sugar and carbs. 99% of my carbs come from fruit and vegetable sources.

I eat sweet potato with no problem. If you encounter a "stringy" spot, just skip it. You won't eat much anyway.

I have had a few grapes without any issue. I do not eat apple peels, however.

It's really a matter of trial and error for many of us. I have been very fortuate to have a good food tolerance level, and the truth is, I LIKE fairly simple foods! Where I see people get into trouble is when they start testing the limits of their pouch. Any line of thought that starts to tell you "Wonder how much of this I can eat before I throw up?" is probably a sign to leave THAT particular food ALONE!!!
Bill R.
on 4/26/10 1:08 am - Northern VA / DC
Keep in mind that most of the people responding here are fairly far out from surgery.  Early on, you'll want (need) to be more careful about some of the textures you are eating. 

I've been pretty lucky, in that over seven weeks I haven't had anything get stuck or make me sick, but I've also been pretty careful about textures and making sure everything I eat is soft and/or well chewed.  That said, there have been a few things I have started to eat - bread, a bite of grilled chicken, the meat from a McDonald's cheesburger (I know, I know) - that I could could tell weren't going to go down well.  So I discretely didn't swallow them and ate something else instead.

My understanding is that eventually many people can eat these things but some people never can.  As long as I pay attention to what my gullet is telling me, I think I will be OK.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics