Are smoked almonds good or bad?

OlyParker
on 5/21/10 2:17 am
In order to get more fiber in my diet, and, gosh, because I just love them, I've started eating a handfull of smoked almonds as a snack between meals.  My pouch doesn't object.  And my brain likes the crunch.  So, I'm wondering if something so yummy is good for me or not.  And I know you're going to say "moderation in all things" so beyond that, what do you think?
Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/21/10 2:27 am - Baltimore, MD
Well...let's take a look at this now.

Btw I LOVE smoked almonds.

You do have to watch the sodium in those and if you are eating a couple of handfuls a day that's a LOT of calories. A handful can easily fit an ounce which = 160 calories!

The good part is that almonds are good fat so a portion of them a day actually helps you. But too much of anything is too much.
charlieinla
on 5/21/10 2:43 am - Santa Monica, CA
Hey ladies and gents!

No NUTS!  My doctor specifically told me that no nuts! It can stick and stuck in your pouch and connection points ! Dangerous, especially the smoked,salted ones. Do it at your own risk Ladies! 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/21/10 2:58 am - OH
Everyone needs to make their own choices, but nuts chew down to a very fine paste in your mouth and most surgeons do NOT say "no nuts"!

Just out of curiosity, why would the smoked ones be any different?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

zilly
on 5/21/10 3:11 am
Not all surgeons say that...  nuts only become a problem if they aren't properly chewed/mashed up in the mouth before swallowing.

The ones that say "no nuts" are likely the same ones who say "no pills".

Almonds are one of the best  courses of good fat and protein together.

The key is in not overdoing it and not eating from a big tub. Measure out a proper serving and put the tub away.

MoLawEd
on 5/21/10 5:53 am - Cambridge, MA
Anything can get stuck if you don't chew it well enough.  Nuts are actually easier to chew well than dense proteins. 

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/21/10 2:56 am - OH
I eat almonds or, occasionally, cashews every day as one of my protein snacks.  It helps with some fiber and the healthy fats to keep my skin and hair from drying out.  Jus****ch the salt and calories!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JudiJudi T
on 5/21/10 3:13 am
 Pre-op I LOVED smokehouse almonds - they were my very favorite!  Unfortunately post -op they taste funny as hell to me.  So sad.   

Like the others said - watch the amount - I actually counted out almonds and put them in little snack bags so I would have one ounce - that way you can journal your intake.  
Deedles
on 5/21/10 5:47 am - Highlands, TX
I eat them every day and have since cleared for them at 8 weeks....count out 28 (1oz) and put into snack size ziplocks. I grab one and go, when it's gone, I'm done for the day! To me the good fats that benefit my skin and hair as well as the fiber that helps with regularity make the calories totally worth it...to me.
Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

MoLawEd
on 5/21/10 5:54 am - Cambridge, MA
As with all nuts, measuring them out is KEY.  You can't play around with nuts if you're watching your caloric intake.  If you're measuring them, though, and you're getting your protein in, they are a good choice.  I'm not sure how far out you are.

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views