Are smoked almonds good or bad?

cabin111
on 5/21/10 6:06 am
From the source...former almond grower here.  I did it for a living.  Almonds are very good for fiber and protein.  They are also heart healthy.  They have a natural oil, but it is a good oil.  What is not good is the almonds that are cooked in oil...salted and canned.  You are better off with just plain nuts...In my pantry and in my pockets I will keep; plain almonds, walnuts, sunfower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, pecans, roasted soy nuts, dry roasted peanuts (watch for the sugar content on those).  A small amount of plain nuts each day can work to your benifit...used in moderation they are fine...
Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/21/10 6:11 am - Baltimore, MD
I also feel compelled to point out the following.

Classifying foods as "good" or "bad" are relics of diet mentality. You can have any food you want. In order to lose weight, however, you have to balance out your choices. So a splurge high in fat would be followed by other choices lower in fat. A splurge high in sodium should be accompanied by lots of water to stay hydrated.

Barring dumping or allergies, you really should get out of classifying foods this way. Because in some things it gets really confusing. Whole wheat bread. Good or bad? Brown rice? Good or bad? Beans (which are VERY carby). Good or bad? See what I mean?

There are foods that are obviously less than stellar choices but instead of seeing things as good vs. bad (which is the black/white sort of set up), try your choices as this long line. One one side is "most beneficial" on the other is "least beneficial." Every food falls somewhere on that line. So nothing is off limits. And some days you may choose a food that is less beneficial. And we all do. But the pass/fail, good/bad, black/white only serves to make us feel like failures.
OlyParker
on 5/21/10 6:12 am
Thanks, every one of you, for your insights.  I will continue eating almonds, altho I think I'll toast some of the raw ones for a change of pace and less sodium.
cabin111
on 5/21/10 6:32 am
I posted this on the Main Board about a year ago.  Also the guy mentioned that if you are eating more nuts you need to cut down on your use of oils...salad dressings and such.

Went to the local support group this evening...We had the hospital nutritionist as the guest speaker.  We had talked before, going through my surgery.  I e-mailed him yesterday and asked him about nuts...how much we should have and which nuts to avoid.  He spoke this evening on the subject.  Thought I would share a couple of the highlights (we know most of these things already). 
He said try and limit the amount of nuts you consume throughout the day.  Nuts have great nutritional value but are high in oils and fats.  He recommended almonds and walnuts the most.  He said to try and avoid any nuts that have more than 2 grams of saturated fats per oz.  Below is the list of nuts he gave me...I'll add the fat and saturated fat tables to it.  Brian

Nut                   Fat                   Saturated Fat
Pistachios           13                    1.5
Almonds             15                    1
Cashews             13                    3
Macadamias       22                    3.5
Peanuts              14                    2
Pecans               21                    2
Walnuts             19                    1.5
Pumpkin             21                    2
Brazil nuts         18                    4
Pine Nuts           19                    1.5
Sunflower Seed 14                    1.5
MoLawEd
on 5/21/10 6:59 am, edited 5/21/10 7:00 am - Cambridge, MA
You could even make your own cocoa-roasted almonds (have you had those?)

Here's a recipe for them: http://www.ehow.com/how_5850786_make-cocoa-roasted-almond-re cipe.html

EDIT: And you could probably make your own smoke-flavored almonds with less oil and sodium by getting creative with Liquid Smoke (calorie-free).

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

MarilynT
on 5/21/10 6:54 am
I eat nuts nearly every day....never had one get stuck!

Of course, my favs (Brazill nuts) are the highest in sat fats! But I eat them rarely and recent research is questioning the idea that the sat fat from non-animal sources is as bad for you as they once thought.

Everyone enjoy your nuts....well, except that one person whose surgeon said "no nuts!".

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Jenny R
on 5/21/10 11:11 am
Love almonds! And sunflower seeds! And walnuts! They all have paradoxical fat in them that make them heart healthy AND satisfy the old tongue-a-roony because they're so tasty! Yum!

Count them out and put them in individual baggies to munch on (28 nuts!  TWENTY EIGHT!) and enjoy! Woot!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 315 views