Kinda gross - poop with slimy stuff?????

SweetGirl11
on 7/18/10 5:41 am
OK - warning - this is gross............. TMI..........

Sometimes when I poop, slimy slippery stuff comes out with the poop.  When I wipe, I feel it on me, and I have to wipe several times to get it all off.  It is clear and colorless. 

What the heck is that?  Is that from fat malabsorption?

Anyone else having this?

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

ronib
on 7/18/10 5:46 am - Grand Junction, CO
If it floats and makes a 'oil slick' in the toilet it could be fat but my guess is that it is just mucose that your bowel naturally makes to lubricate your bowel movements. Not a pretty answer but pretty sure that covers it:)
In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.                        ~Author Unknown

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.  ~Redd Foxx....        OK I know but it did make me laugh...lol

SweetGirl11
on 7/18/10 5:59 am
Thanks Ronib...... that makes sense.   

BTW, I love your Redd Foxx quote!   Too funny.  My hubby and I tape "Sanford & Son" and watch it almost every day. 

RNY 6/8/2009  

baileyboo
on 7/18/10 6:15 am - Bridgeport, WV
I had this happen even BEFORE my surgery. Freaked me out. Thought my intestines were gonna slip out next!!!! I asked the Doc about it and Goggled it (sometimes better than a Doc answer) and it is normal. I've always had bowel issues so it was even a little settling after hearing... I imagine the surgery itself is what prompted this for you
SweetGirl11
on 7/18/10 6:20 am
Thanks Lori.   I wasn't sure if it was just mucus or some kind of fat malabsorption thing.  It DOES seem more like mucus when I think about it........ and it does seemt to "help things along"!   :)

RNY 6/8/2009  

FastFingers ~*~
on 7/18/10 6:47 am
Mucus in the stool can be an indicator of food allergy.  The onset of a food allergy can occur at any age, so foods that never caused an allergic reaction before can become problematic.

Celiac disease, a sensitivity to the protein gluten in wheat, barley, and rye - can also cause mucus in the stool.

Mucus in the stools can also be indicative of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), ulcerative colitis, or Crohn's disease, which an also begin at any age.

Call your primary care physician and ask him if you should talk to an allergist / immunologist for testing for these.

An anal fissure, bacterial infection, or bowel obstruction can also cause mucus in the stools, so you should address this with your bariatric surgeon right away.  This could be the sign of a serious complication of your RNY.

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

SweetGirl11
on 7/18/10 6:57 am
Fast Fingers....  Thanks for the info..... will definintely talk to my doc about it!   I do have some food allergies and food sensitivities already, so I wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with it.

RNY 6/8/2009  

FastFingers ~*~
on 7/18/10 7:26 am
Yes, it seems you've had some exposure to the foods that you're allergic to.  Be sure to read labels carefully, because certain foods can be hidden behind strange names sometimes.

For example, milk protein can be found as "casein" on food labels, which you may eat accidentally if you didn't recognize "casein" as a dairy related item. 

Also, if you're allergic to peanuts or tree nuts, those items may not be in the ingredient list, but the manufacturer has to put SOMEWHERE on the label that the item was made in a facility that does handle nuts.

Also, a lot of folks with celiac disease know that they have to avoid wheat, but some don't realize that they have to avoid barley and rye, too.  It's easy to forget that products like gravy and meatloaf have hidden gluten in them - in the form of flour as a thickener in gravy and as breadcrumbs in the meatloaf.  Many celiac sufferers have to use separate silverware, peanut butter, and mayo than the rest of their families because cross contamination (from a butter knife that touched toast then went back into the butter) can be enough to cause a reaction.

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

GaylaN
on 7/18/10 7:20 am - Stephenville, TX

It was happening to me for a week or so, but I hate eaten alot of fish, I thought maybe that was it, by the time I was going to call the dr. it had stopped. Let me know what you find out.

Gayla N Texas
"RNY 5-11-2010" 5'3"
HW: 258/ SW: 252/ CW: 176 / SGW: 140

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/18/10 8:36 am - Baltimore, MD
Oh thank heavens! I wasn't going to start this thread but check it: you know how I always say "I know I malabsorb fat still but I don't want to say how I know"? THAT is how I know. It comes out of me undigested. Just like you described.

Ewwwwwww...I also must malabsorb protein quite a bit cuz even on high fat days I get "sinkers" instead of "floaters" most of the time.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 208 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics