What to do about too much protein in urine?

Lady Jones
on 8/9/10 5:53 am
Sorry to have to ask, but I needed help with this.  And this board is where I get the most help.  :-)
Doctor called today with lab reports for my 3 months check up and said I have too much protein in my urine.  This is not the doctor that did my surgery, it is my diabetic doctor who will do my lab work every 3 months.  She did not suggest what to do about this....  I have called my bypass doctor but he has not called me back yet
 Anyone else have this concern?  What did you do about it?
She also said I was anemic and suggested I up my iron intake.
Thanks for any input!

Belles_Mome
on 8/9/10 6:01 am
Did they also do kidney function tests?  In some ways those are more critical - make sure the doctor is aware of all medications you take (including any OTC vitamins etc as well as herbal supplements).  Make sure you are well-hydrated, especially if they draw your blood first thing in the AM.

If the kidney function values are screwy - then have your doctor refer you to a nephrologists.  Mine came back flakey a few times (and in values typical of stage 3 chronic kidney disease) , and once I cut out the ibuprophen, cut the dose of Januvia in half, and made sure I drank at least 25 oz of water prior to blood draw (at least 45 minutes before I got to the lab) - mine went back to normal.

Lady Jones
on 8/9/10 6:08 am
She did say my kidney funtions were fine.  I had my labs drawn first thing Friday morning without any water of food.  They told me it had to be fasting levels.  But I will make sure to drink water before the next labs.  Thanks!
moviecat
on 8/9/10 6:37 am - Howell, MI
I had a reading once (years pre-op)  that said I had protien in my urine and had to retake the test. I have an excellent Dr.! The 2nd test came back fine. Sometimes we get protien in our urine (from what my Dr. said)  and so doing a 2nd test is pretty routine. He also ran blood tests to make sure I was fine in my kidneys etc. and fortunately, I was alright.

Do you have plans for a 2nd urine test to be sure?
Moviecat            
Lady Jones
on 8/9/10 8:50 am
I had not thought about asking for a 2nd test.  I will do that!  Thanks!
MSW will not settle
on 8/9/10 12:06 pm

Protein in your urine is more likely related to diabetes or hypertnsion than wls.  Further testing is probably required to determine the cause.   Interesting reading:

Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/protein-in-urine/MY00630

National Institutes for Health

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/proteinuria/

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

rbb825
on 8/9/10 1:13 pm - Suffern, NY

I would ask her about it, it can mean nothing but it can mean something and further testing is usually needed.  My Endocrinologist does a urinalysis everytime I go and everytime I go, she tells me I have protein in my urine. At first we were concerned and she looked further into it - she did a 24 hours urine test to see if I had too  protein over a 24 hour period -that is the test you really need.  Mine was totally normal, so she told me that I dont' have to worry about the small amounts in my urinalysis as long as the 24 hour urine is normal and my kidney function tests are normal.  This isn't something for your surgeon, it is either for your Endocrinologist or  a urologist.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 216 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics