How much is a "sip" of liquid?

Beth L.
on 8/9/10 4:43 pm - Indianapolis, IN
The subject says it all - how much is a sip? I know what it means for me to sip, but what if it's too much or too fast between sips?

Any advice to drinking and not hurting?

I'm a pre-op with surgery tentatively scheduled for early September.
Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. - Jerry Garcia

moviecat
on 8/9/10 4:53 pm - Howell, MI
I don't mean to sound silly, but you will find out just how much a sip is for you as you drink. I had a hard time figuring it out at first - well, actually, I would forget and drink normally, then OUCH! ou will soon learn and fast!

Good luck with the surgery!!! I do not regret mine on the least!!!!
Moviecat            
Jane N.
on 8/9/10 5:35 pm - Round Rock, TX
I'm one week out from surgery and still working on the proper sip.  I actually do better with my shakes and soups than I do with my water.  I guess because the shakes and soups are slightly thicker so they slide down a little slower.  I've also noticed some days I have an easier/harder time swallowing than the next day.  I'm assuming I'll eventually get it down and not even think about it anymore; and so will you.

P. Javellana
on 8/9/10 6:01 pm - Central Florida, FL
RNY on 06/29/10 with
I was sipping very small sips and as the days went by, I took bigger sips.  Now at 6 weeks post, I can drink pretty normal to what I did before but when I take too big of one, then it seems to feel 'stuck' until it goes down.  I still eat with a baby spoon though.  I am not trained enough and want to take a bigger bite than what I should take. 

I can get almost all my water in now where before, there was no way.

Good luck on your surgery.

angelework
on 8/9/10 6:01 pm
Thank you for asking the question! It has been on my mind and I felt like maybe it was obvious to everyone but me! I'm 3 weeks pre-op and will be doing the sip-sip-sip thing.

CoastiesGirl
on 8/9/10 6:20 pm - Point Reyes Station, CA
I asked this same question a month or so back.
Best advise I got. Use a medicine cup to portion your "sips" from. At first you should be drinking 1oz (1 medicine cup) of liquid every 15 minutes. So a sip would be a portion of this medicine cup, not the whole thing at once.

Mzlgrl31
on 8/9/10 6:40 pm - Battle Creek, MI
RNY on 08/03/10 with
A sip is between 15 & 30 ml's. You will be given a medicine cup and half of it will be 15ml you will be asked to gradually go up to 30ml (a full cup).
Good luck.. I use a sippie cup with the suction piece removed...it seems to work great.
Shannon
Shannon

Heaviest Wt 309, Pre Surg Wt 286, Current Wt 270.4, Goal Wt 190

"'I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control and at times I'm hard to handle...but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."-- Marilyn Monroe
APACHI
on 7/4/12 12:01 pm - Canada
Sipping, what's that? LOL

I have my moments with it.

I just need to refer to the Dr. Kuri page to look that info up.

So unless you have a baby spoon, I do but where did it go?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/4/12 12:23 pm - OH
As long as the amount of liquid that you swallow does not cause you any discomfort, it doesn't matter how big it is. If t causes diacomfort, it is too big for you and you should take smaller sips.  Many people, by the way, have no problem drinking very normally very soon after surgery.

Lora

6 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

garnetgal
on 7/4/12 12:35 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
I was able to take pills in the hospital with no problem even with the 1 ounce cup of liquid. I was about 3 weeks out when I was able to drink pretty normally. I took it slow more out of fear that I would hurt myself and my new pouch until one day I was thirsty and took a drink and it was like whoa... that was a normal drink and it didn't hurt! You will learn your pouch and what it likes and doesn't pretty quickly. Good luck with your upcoming journey!

Paul C.
on 7/4/12 2:31 pm - Cumming, GA
RNY on 07/16/10 with
For me sips started small but as I healed and got further out and learned my system it became more normal. Heck today I downed 32Oz of water on 15 minutes. In all honesty I had just finished a hot and humid 10k and was heading to a bad dehydration episode which I fortunately was able to avoid.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
BWB
on 7/4/12 3:38 pm
Maybe you should start with as many chewable meds as you can. I had a terrible time with large tablets. After 9 or 10 months, it is much easier.

Beth L.
on 8/9/10 8:30 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Thank you for the advice, everyone. I'm scared now because of the pills I have to take. I am not good with pills and need a mouthful of liquid to get them down.

I think it's time to schedule an appointment with my pcp to talk about this.
Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. - Jerry Garcia